Cant get the screen to stay off

apaksl

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
A little sarcasm in the title, but really, why does the screen turn on all the time?

I'm coming from an HTC One X, and a Galaxy S1 before that. At work I listen to podcasts all day using an app called Music Folder, mainly because it has an option to resume playback when reconnecting headphones (in addition to the more common option to pause when disconnecting headphones). So I've been in the habit for years of just slightly unplugging my headphones every time someone talks to me. But the Galaxy S5 turns the display on every time I plug in or unplug the headphones. I already got one call from the state patrol concerning a 911 hangup =\ I do have a pair of bluetooth headphones on the way, so that will probably fix the majority of my issue, but that doesn't change my annoyance with the absurd number of ways to turn on the display and lack of settings to configure.

tldr:
Does anyone know why Samsung decided to have the display turn on every time: usb plugged/unplugged, headphones plugged/unplugged, home button pressed, text message received? Is it supposed to be more convenient than having to actually press the lock button to turn on/off the display? And is there a 3rd party app that can allow control of these functions? Is it worth installing a custom rom? (I guess I'm assuming that the display turning on is a result of Samsung's software...)

apaksl

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I dunno, maybe I'm not figuring out NiLS, but I think the base version of NiLS doesn't work at all because the developer says the S5 doesn't allow lock screen widgets. And the floating panel doesn't address any of my issues. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
A little sarcasm in the title, but really, why does the screen turn on all the time?

I'm coming from an HTC One X, and a Galaxy S1 before that. At work I listen to podcasts all day using an app called Music Folder, mainly because it has an option to resume playback when reconnecting headphones (in addition to the more common option to pause when disconnecting headphones). So I've been in the habit for years of just slightly unplugging my headphones every time someone talks to me. But the Galaxy S5 turns the display on every time I plug in or unplug the headphones. I already got one call from the state patrol concerning a 911 hangup =\ I do have a pair of bluetooth headphones on the way, so that will probably fix the majority of my issue, but that doesn't change my annoyance with the absurd number of ways to turn on the display and lack of settings to configure.

tldr:
Does anyone know why Samsung decided to have the display turn on every time: usb plugged/unplugged, headphones plugged/unplugged, home button pressed, text message received? Is it supposed to be more convenient than having to actually press the lock button to turn on/off the display? And is there a 3rd party app that can allow control of these functions? Is it worth installing a custom rom? (I guess I'm assuming that the display turning on is a result of Samsung's software...)

Use tasker in play store to control this

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmax36884