The focus on the back camera on Galaxy S5

tkpc621

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I notice that the auto focus or tap focus are both pretty bad and makes it blurry unless I am more than a feet from the object. Is this a problem for you guys or is it just my phone?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Well there is no mention of this phone having a macro mode (that I've seen) but 3" is, imo, pretty darn good for a phone! This was handheld, on auto, no flash. The picture behind the tv remote is a page from a sale circular. I was focused on the "Select" button on the remote.
macro.jpg

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought I'd take an outdoors close up with my S5 to show you that this phone CAN get up close and personal. This was, at the most, a 3" shot. Maybe closer to 2.5". I did have a little harder time focusing than I did with the picture of the tv remote. Might have been the angle. Not sure my Canon SX50 could have done much, if any, better :eek:
S5-Macro.jpg

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I just did some really close up shots and discovered it depends on the reflection angle of the surface in relation to the camera.

I just shot a business card and at a 30 degree angle, it is blurry.

If the camera is tilted exactly above the card with a 90 degree view, the focus is dead on.

tkpc621

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you took the thin, plastic, protective film off of the lens. It took me two weeks to notice it.

Yes I did peel off the plastic. I'll try more situations to see if there's a way to take better closeup photos. I am just wondering if it is a software problem, hardware problem, or if the phone is just not capable of taking closeups easily. I switched from my iPhone 4S and it had no problem. All I had to do was tap and it'll focus pretty close objects.

lawsoncv

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Sprint S5. I sat 4 rows from center stage at a concert and my pictures turned out horrible. Same for a night time football game. During the day and close I can focus wonderfully.

I ran to BestBuy's Samsung service center where they flashed the software. No luck. I went back the next day and they agreed it's a hardware issue, probably the stabilizer, and I'm back ordered 10 days for a new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Philtronic

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Every DSLR is gonna be less performant in low light unless a very fast lens is use, something like f2.8 or bigger,
now imagine a camera in a phone... pretty normal if you ask...

Phil.

Low light with the S5, I only resize (not cropped) and reduce noise a bit in Photoshop:
Focus point on the "K"

Attachments

• S5 Test 2.jpg
    S5 Test 2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 127

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it works okay, but in general, no. I wish there were a focus slider or at least a macro mode.

I noticed this instantly after switching from the S3. I'd already built up the instincts of how close to get to take a good macro shot and it just wasn't working with the S5. Very spotty and annoying. I do seem to get slightly better results with 'spot' focus over center or matrix, but only barely.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I notice that the auto focus or tap focus are both pretty bad and makes it blurry unless I am more than a feet from the object. Is this a problem for you guys or is it just my phone?

I only have a problem if the thing I'm trying to focus on is small and in the foreground, and something else much larger is in the background.

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it's some unseen result of selective focus being built into the camera? Thinking about it now, I have noticed I have a harder time focusing on a small part of one object versus an object against a background that's further back.

It might help to use the digital zoom to be able to tap-focus on small objects?

LawVanj

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Has nobody ever thought of using the S5's magnifier app? You can take extreme closeups with that. It can be found in the widgets.

yuishere

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Try using a microfiber cloth and clean your camera! The cloth is designed to not scratch or harm the glass it is wiping. I often had the problem with focusing my camera, but after I wiped it, it was good as new. I hope this helps!

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My camera is funky. Some days its absolutely fantastic, other days it feels like my old lg flip phone camera that was like 2mp. At night, its jsut terrible period.

I took these 2 photos just now at work. The one that was the furthest was maybe 3 inches if the closest, was at most 1 inch from the keyboard.
View attachment 160354View attachment 160355