With regards to transferring .mp3 files, is there a way to

dennycrane2014

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
transfer files but NOT have them show up in the phone's regular music app. I have a folder on my computer of business calls that I would like to transfer to my phone but I don't want them in the music app because if I have my music on shuffle, no need to have one of those calls play randomly.

Each time I have tried to put the folder onto my SD card (or the phone), I can find the folder on my phone with just the calls but as soon as I open up the music app, they are there mixed in with all the regular music as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You could add a blank text file titled ".nomedia" that the folder using any file manager app (like ES File Explorer). Make sure the file name has the leading period. This will tell the phone to ignore that folder when searching for media. But it does mean that if you want to use an app to play those MP3 files, it might have trouble finding them--you'd have to use the same file manager app to navigate directly to that folder to access them.

dennycrane2014

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You could add a blank text file titled ".nomedia" that the folder using any file manager app (like ES File Explorer). Make sure the file name has the leading period. This will tell the phone to ignore that folder when searching for media. But it does mean that if you want to use an app to play those MP3 files, it might have trouble finding them--you'd have to use the same file manager app to navigate directly to that folder to access them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that, placed a file with .nomedia.txt into the same folder as these calls and found them in the ES File Explorer app but the files themselves STILL appear in the phone's regular music app. I think as long as the files have an .mp3 extension, they are always going to show up in the music app no matter what I do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may be because the music app already has them in its database. You could try going to Settings>Apps>All, selecting Music, then Clear Data. This will clear the database from the Music app. The next time you open Music, it should rebuild the database, and this time, those MP3 files might not be included.

dennycrane2014

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
It may be because the music app already has them in its database. You could try going to Settings>Apps>All, selecting Music, then Clear Data. This will clear the database from the Music app. The next time you open Music, it should rebuild the database, and this time, those MP3 files might not be included.

That worked. The folder is now the only place those files appear, no longer in the music app with everything else. Thank you so much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer