Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can only pic contact image from gallery

I just switched from a LG G2 to the Samsung Galaxy S5 and love it so far, but one thing I don't like is the S5 only allows you to select a contact photo from images only from your gallery. The LG G2 used to allow you to select the image menu option and use a file manager to pick a contact photo from a folder that might not be in my gallery. Does the S5 have an option to do this and pick a contact photo using a file manager that is not in the gallery? A couple screenshots of each phone showing this.

Thanks,
    Kizer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can only pic contact image from gallery-lg-g2.jpg   Can only pic contact image from gallery-samsung-galaxy-s5.jpg  

Default Re: Can only pic contact image from gallery

It's a little odd, because any image in any folder on your device should appear in the Gallery, unless that folder has a .nomedia file (which instructs the Media Scanner to ignore the folder when searching for images to include in the Gallery database).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by kizer8 View Post
    It's a little odd, because any image in any folder on your device should appear in the Gallery, unless that folder has a .nomedia file (which instructs the Media Scanner to ignore the folder when searching for images to include in the Gallery database).
    Yes, I have a contacts folder with images I wanted used for my contacts that has a .nomedia file that I don't want showing up in the gallery, but I can't select any of the images in this contacts folder because they are not in my gallery on the S5. I could with my LG G2.

Thanks,
    Kizer

Can you find it by selecting ES File Explorer in that screenshot?

The Gallery is a "cloud type" virtual folder. The Gallery function scans all folders on your phone and displays any picture image that is on the phone. I have 3 cameras and they all store their images in their own private sub-folders.

However, Gallery will show all of the images regardless of where they are.

That ".nomedia" file tells Gallery to NOT display anything that is in that folder.

So, either you get rid of the .nomedia file, or you copy the pix to another folder that does not have the .nomedia file in it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Can you find it by selecting ES File Explorer in that screenshot?
    The S5 does not give you an option to select es file explorer when clicking + sign on contact and then image to use a file manager to select an image that is not in my gallery like the LG G2 does. The image I provided that gives you that option is from the LG G2 where the S5 does not.