Phone keeps completely shutting off when lock screen turns on?

Sergnio

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had the Galaxy S5 since the week it came out, and I have never run across this issue.

Recently, after a few seconds after the phone goes into a standby mode after being idle for 1 minute, the phone actually just completely turns off.
Similarly, a few seconds after I click the lock button, the phone will shut off. It's not immediately after the screen goes into standby mode, but rather about 5 seconds.
I've taken the battery out and restarted the phone multiple times, but this issue still arises.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Galaxy S5 since the week it came out, and I have never run across this issue.

Recently, after a few seconds after the phone goes into a standby mode after being idle for 1 minute, the phone actually just completely turns off.
Similarly, a few seconds after I click the lock button, the phone will shut off. It's not immediately after the screen goes into standby mode, but rather about 5 seconds.
I've taken the battery out and restarted the phone multiple times, but this issue still arises.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to AC!
Have you tried wiping the cache partition in recovery mode?
Here's a guide for the S4, but it's the same for the S5. http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5744

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Sergnio

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply UJ95x

I just tried wiping cache partition in recovery mode and it did not resolve my problem.
There is no water damage,or any other major issue which might be messing this up. Any other suggestions?
One person suggested that it might be a hardware issue, not so much a software issue

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply UJ95x

I just tried wiping cache partition in recovery mode and it did not resolve my problem.
There is no water damage,or any other major issue which might be messing this up. Any other suggestions?
One person suggested that it might be a hardware issue, not so much a software issue

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. If there is something wrong with one of the components it might be causing it to shut down automatically.
Do you have insurance with your carrier?

Sergnio

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not 100% that I do. I tried cleaning the battery a little, as suggested by someone but that didn't seem to help.
I'm going to try another battery from another S5 that isn't having any issues and report the results back here!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not 100% that I do. I tried cleaning the battery a little, as suggested by someone but that didn't seem to help.
I'm going to try another battery from another S5 that isn't having any issues and report the results back here!

Cool. You can check with your carrier if you have insurance. In any case, as long as you haven't damaged your device the manufacturer warranty should still cover that.

Sergnio

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I greatly do appreciate your dedication to answering questions, and not only do you answer them, you respond very quickly!!! Thank you very much for that
but after a little more digging on the internet for some answers, the perpetrator turns out to be my Micro SD card! It randomly stopped working yesterday, and now that I think about it, that's when all of my issues started occurring.
So after taking out the SD card and restarting the phone, I haven't run into any of the 'black screen' issues since!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I greatly do appreciate your dedication to answering questions, and not only do you answer them, you respond very quickly!!! Thank you very much for that
but after a little more digging on the internet for some answers, the perpetrator turns out to be my Micro SD card! It randomly stopped working yesterday, and now that I think about it, that's when all of my issues started occurring.
So after taking out the SD card and restarting the phone, I haven't run into any of the 'black screen' issues since!

Wow. So seemingly unrelated and that was the cause lol
Glad it's working now. And yes, I answer quickly because I basically live here :p

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread. My phone was damaged somehow since being with me at a hospital when it was taken from me for 'safe keeping' ( yeah, right). It's my OnePlus One, and there's no water damage that I know of.

As soon as the screen goes dark, the phone shuts off completely and does not reboot. I have to reboot it and it takes a few minutes until it turns back on.

I've gone through settings and set it at maximum don't sleep, and whatever else looked helpful. But basically it's dead when I need the alarm clock, etc.

PODGERR

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Have an S5 G900i New Zealand model
I to have this issue, my one maybe some what self inflicted, these are out of warranty work phones all brought a few years back all S5's.
We recently flashed the updated Marshmallow stock rom Indian release, I was last to do so, but only my phone has this issue out of the 2 phone updated.

At first I got fuzzy video, the I noticed when the phone timed out the screen would go black as it should, then trying to wake it up via home button the phone would crash and reboot, hitting the power button to wake up would also do nothing.

since then Ive tried all manner of stock and custom roms these issues still remain no matter what I do..

Im beginning to think it could be hardware issue, has anyone damaged hardware due to incorrect rom flash??

as I said stock roms dont fix.

Ive wiped multiple times...help please

alexveksler

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The described issue doesn't seem to be a device specific. Same problem just started occuring on my Samsung Note 8. The device is only 25 days old. I've removed my SD card, but the problem still occurs. The battery is fully charged and was tested by a tech at the Sprint store. I also noticed, as long as it is plugged in to a power source, it does not happen. So the issue is definitely power supply from the battery to the device.

He mentioned something that caught my attention - he noticed that I was using a charging block (with a short wire from the block to the phone). His comment was the wire might not be the correct voltage and cause the damage to the phone. My only answer at this point would be with all the Note 8 devices on the market today, wouldn't this be reported by masses by now? Anyway, thankfully this is under 30 days old and I am getting a replacement.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I took my SD card out ages ago and will never have another one again. I look forward to eventually upgrading and having 128/256 GB storage and be done with SD cards completely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olyria10