Why is the GPS indicator always on?

scotthafner11

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Searching using GPS indicator always on.

For the past week, my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone is always "searching using GPS". The indicator in the notification bar is always there and blinking. I'm not sure how it got this way, but I believe it is using allot of battery. Please help me find a way to shut it off without turning off my location option. How can I locate which app is keeping this running?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Searching using GPS indicator always on.

Welcome to Android Central! Quick question for you--do you absolutely need GPS on, or can you get by with Location Services using wi-fi and mobile data only (Power Saving mode)?

Go to Settings>Location, and see what has been requesting Location recently--that might give you an idea of what's been using GPS.

scotthafner11

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for your reply. I probabyl could get by without if I tried. I found out by long pressing the notification that it is the "Android System UI" app causing it to stay on. Now to find out why.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I know this doesn't address your initial question, but I only turn on GPS when I really need pinpoint precision (like if I'm using it as a nav device for my car). Otherwise, rough location is fine--Power Saving mode gives location accurate to maybe about 100-200 yards or so.

scotthafner11

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I agree, but I am always using the "Waze" app for my daily work commute. I drive an hour each way, and it's really handy, so I'd prefer to leave it on and fix the issue.

scotthafner11

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I used Samsung support, and after trying a few things, he had me "Wipe Cache Clear Partition" on my device, and it worked. The problem is gone. I saved the instructions on how to do this in case anyone needs them.

PinasAko

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Had the same dilemma and had searched the net for a solution to no avail. But after much sleuthing around, I finally figured out how to remove the pesky blinking GPS search notification and that is to turn off the Google "Let Google Apps access your location" setting under Google account "Location setting" which is different from the toggle "Access to my location". After doing this the blinking GPS search notification disappeared. Hope this helps.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I used Samsung support, and after trying a few things, he had me "Wipe Cache Clear Partition" on my device, and it worked. The problem is gone. I saved the instructions on how to do this in case anyone needs them.

I am having the exacty same problem. Can you post the directions to this solution?

Thanks.

EDIT: found the directions myself. So far it seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks!

Last edited:

The1Metallian

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the tip. I never realized about checking which app had used location most recently. I checked and it was Chrome. I ended Chrome and a couple of seconds later the GPS icon disappeared from the top left. I should have checked on this a few months ago, I have just been dealing with it. :(

M Bonbon

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site

Much better! This seemed to become a problem after the upgrade to Android 4.4.4 (on Galaxy 4), unless that was coincidental.

Specific steps: Home > Settings > More > Location (on) > under Location Services, select Google Location Reporting > displays Google Location Settings with my Gmail ID > Location Reporting > switch to Off

Leonard Xhebexhia

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site

To fix this you need to do this steps:
1.Open Settings
2.Go to Applications
3.Find Google Play Services in all apps
4.Click clear data & disable it
5.Now reboot your phone
6.Open Google Maps and enable gps and after location icon turned on go back and the icon will be removed from status bar.
Hope that will help you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa