Microphone On My LG G8 Seems To Always Be In Use

Cyber Akuma

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a LG G8 with T-Mobile (formally was with Sprint) although the phone itself I am pretty sure is a universal unlocked model, and I have trouble using Google Assistant. It never seems to activate when I say "Ok Google", and when that happens, almost always if I try pressing the physical button to bring up the assistant it gives me an error message that the mic is in use. Even when I closed all open apps, I still get that.

Thing is, I almost never see the green dot indicator the mic is in use when this happens. Other times the dot appears randomly for a second or two (usually when watching YouTube videos) and then goes away.

Is there any way to tell what is going on? If my phone is somehow infected or just acting up? Is there any way for me to see what apps have been using the mic? I can't believe it doesn't at least tell you what app it thinks is using the mic, that's about as useful as if every error message in Windows just said "something went wrong".

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Permissions menu in your system settings and see what apps have permission to use the Mic. Turn off permissions for any app that you feel doesn't really need it, and see if the problem persists.

You can also boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem goes away: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/lg/lg-g8-thinq/safe-mode/. If it does, then you know that some 3rd party app is the problem.