What is so great about Lollipop 5.0?

sgolbitz

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
GALAXY S5 with Lollipop 5.0

I finally got Lollipop 5.0 on my Galaxy S5, and I have a question. What is so great about 5.0?
I've read reviews, watched YouTube video, scanned the Samsung and Verizon websites, and any similarity between Google Lollipop 5.0, and Verizon's version of Lollipop 5.0 are purely coincidental. What a letdown!
What am I missing? What look and features that improve 5.0 over 4.4.2 am I not seeing?
The iPhone 6 and IO8 are certainly looking good to me.
Thank you.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: GALAXY S5 with Lollipop 5.0

Besides the user interface changes and looks mostly it's under the hood performance that got a boost :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Some phones show a little faster performance or lower battery use over 4.4.4, but it's mainly a different look to the browser and the Google apps. It should have been called 4.4.4.0.0.1. On some phones it should have been called 0.0.0, since they stop working after the update.

You're not overlooking anything but the pretty new look.

The big change was from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 - the SSL problem, Heartbleed, got the client fix.

Bobby K

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site

I caution anyone about updating the latest OS, Lollipop 5.0. Since the upgrade, I have noticed several apps no longer function - including one provided by Verizon (my carrier). I have also learned the BLOCKING feature has been removed and hidden within the SOUND and NOTIFICATION icon. This feature has reduced functionality from the previous 4.X versions.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with the latest Android OS and will seriously be looking into rolling back to Ver 4.X

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Sprint G900P's seem to be running it pretty well, I have a couple (Sprint & Boost) with no issues whatsoever. The big change was the implementation of Android runtime ART (taking the place of dalvik cache). Verizon caused its own lollipop troubles it seems.
A lot of Verizon users report better performance after a FDR...
Otherwise its just another step in Android evolution for better or worse ( nothing stays the same long in the tech world)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress