Can I install 128GB microSDXC memory in my Verizon Galaxy S5?

Nethog61

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I just purchased a Verizon Galaxy S5, and would like to install a microSD memory card. The manual for the Galaxy S5 (which has a Verizon logo on it) states the following:
Your device supports optional, removable, microSD™ or
microSDHC™ memory cards of up to 128GB capacity (not
included), for storage of music, pictures, and other files.
So it does not mention the microSDXC standard. I am confused since it states up to 128Gb but when I look on Amazon I only see the microSDHC format with a maximum capacity of 64 Gb. So does anyone know if I can use a microSDXC memory card in my S5?

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I think all SD cards greater than 32 gig are xc
Edit: maybe I was thinking about HC

Posted via Android Central App

Nethog61

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes but I don't know if I can only use an microSDHC card with a 64Gb max capacity or assume I can use a microSDXC card since the manual states it supports 128 Gb.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
SDHC specifies cards up to 32GB. SDXC specifies cards up to 2TB and makes exFAT mandatory. I'm guessing the problem is the lack of knowledge on the part of the ad writer (tech writers should know better) who wrote that part of the manual. Since the largest card is 128GB we can't test it, but I suspect that the phone will support larger cards with no problem. (And a 128GB card can't be SDHC - that's like a 20 ounce pound.)

Nethog61

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Well based on what the manual says I can only guess what the tech writer implied by their conflicting statement: (1) only microSD and microSDHC cards are supported period hence the 128Gb statement is an error, or (2) microSDXC cards are also supported based on their 128Gb statement. What I would really like is for someone that has a 128Gb microSD card installed and working on their Galaxy S5 comment to this thread, and not simple speculation.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
If it helps I have a 64 gig card in mine. Based on the earlier response, 64 gig is xc.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8114070)

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I went through hell trying to get a 128GB SD card working in my S5. I had tons of issues mainly files becoming damaged or disappearing. After hours of troubleshooting I finally gave up and purchased a 64GB SanDisk from Costco. It is working and the only issue I'm aware of is with the photos on the SD card. I run a number of different apps that sync and one or more of them keeps generating dup copies of "some" of the photos. I've not had enough time and knowledge to determine what is now failing. Prior to installing the 128GB card I had a 32GB card and had no issues with it and I had all the phone apps running while using it. The folder structure from the 32GB card was carried over to the 128GB. I had copied all of the files on the 32GB card to my PC this was then copied to the 128GB. When I gave up on the 128GB card I copied from the PC to the 64GB card.

In a number of different forums I researched for 128GB SD on the S5 and could not find anybody that had success. Based on this and the problems I could not resolve I gave up on the 128GB and went with the 64GB. If you get the 128GB working correctly I think you will be the first.

Nethog61

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks jgt1942. I think I will play it safe and go with a 64 Gb microSDHC card. By the way what was the brand of your 128 Gb microSDXC card?

anon(8114070)

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what the brand was, it did not have it on the chip. I ordered via the web (Products | USADISCOUNTWAREHOUSE.COM-BEST DEALS ONLINE | Home of the best deals online!). They offered to replace it with a free upgrade to a "SANDISK EXTREME SERIES 128" but I already had the 64GB working and did not want to go through the hell again. The SanDisk 128GB may have worked but because I could not find any success with the 128GB I decided not to venture down that path. I mainly store photos from the camera and audio books (I use Listen Audiobook Player) on the SD card). I'll fill the card with audiobooks and after I listen to all of them (this takes a few months) I will then remove all that I have listened to and then load it up again. There is VERY limited support (thanks Google) for apps to write to the SD card. The developer and user both must take action to get it working. The author of Listen Audiobook Player is now testing his app to work with KitKat and Lollipop. Currently I connect my S5 to my windows PC (Win 8.1 x64) and use my file manager (Xplorer2) to delete the books from the SD card and add new books to the SD card.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Samsung phones have a reputation for not working well with cheap SD cards. I cant offer any more specific insight as I have never tried a cheap or slow card in mine.

My 64 gig card that is working perfectly is the samsung branded "orange" card. I cant remember the exact name off the top of my head (pro, extreme, yada yada).

Nethog61

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes again I think I'll just play it safe and get a 64Gb microSDHC card, probably Samsung brand to maximize my chance of no issues. Thanks.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes again I think I'll just play it safe and get a 64Gb microSDHC card, probably Samsung brand to maximize my chance of no issues. Thanks.

I have a 128gb card in my Note4 and it was the same card that I had in my S5 before. I only use SanDisk and Samsung cards and have never had a failure with any of them. I buy from reputable sources like Amazon and then only from Amazon itself and none of their resellers.

I also have 128gb cards in my tablets and 64gb cards in my s3 mini and S5 mini all working flawlessly.

If you buy low quality or fake cards then you will have problems.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

greenblop

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Was running my S5 on Sandisk Ultra 32gb SDHC fine. Wanted to upgrade to a Samsung 128gb SDXC. Had lots of problem with the 128gb card --- copied all files over to the 128 card but many photos and video files that was fine in the 32gb has either gone missing or became corrupted. Give yup on 128gb and going onto just a 64gb Sandisk SDXC since you guys had not problem running on it. Have a nagging suspicion that S5 cannot manage the 128gb card properly.

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a 128 gb samsung card in my galaxy s5. No problems noted. Took a little while to transfer all the stuff I had on the old 64 gb card to the new 128 gb card.

Samsung128EVO.jpg

Last edited:

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have only used Samsung SD cards in my S5 since I got it. From 16 to 32 to 64GB, all have worked flawlessly. OP, please report back if you get a 128GB card working with your phone.

Jimmyboy91

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
My U1 Class 10 128Gig (is really only 119 ish gigs but claims the 128Gig title) works perfectly on my Galaxy S5 for photos, music, and video.

Apps and transferring them to external memory is not yet supported in the S5 software, so if you have larger apps you need to move, a 64Gig will just have to do for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty