Mobile internet

jljecj

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I have an app to keep up with data useage that is reporting mobile data being used even while on WiFi only. It is called data eye. Is there something that is maybe causing a false positive for mobile data? I have a verizon branded gs5, non rooted, on 5.0.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Why not use the stock, built-in data usage?

Settings > Data Usage

You can set your billing cycle, and choose either "mobile" or "WiFi" data. You can even set a limit to warn you or even turn off your data.

For example - I have a 6GB data plan. I have the "warning" set to 5GB, and the "turn off when" set to 5.5GB. This ensures that my device's reading doesn't conflict with my carrier.

jljecj

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I've tried that thanks however, I wanted something with more control over specific applications and background data as my plan will be significantly reduced this billing cycle.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
You didn't mention that requirement in your opening post. If you are looking for something to specifically BLOCK background use of apps, you can always install Greenify and disallow EVERY app from using ANY data whatsoever. If you want to only block it when on mobile data, chances are you're going to need to root it and install a custom ROM.