Why am I unable to do a software update?

A

AC Question

Can't update software

I am trying to upgrade the version of android on my samsung galaxy s5. Recently bought.

I have wifi on and working, but when I go to settings -> about device -> software update and I click in "Update now" it prompts:

"downloading via mobile network may result in additional charges. etcetc" but Wifi is on working! if I click OK, it "checking for updates" for a while and says:

"unable to update software. A network or server error occurred".

I have to say that my mobile network is sluggish it comes and goes, but wifi so far has been working properly for any other purpose except that. I am using an unlocked SM-G900F in Japan, with Rakuten Sim card (it uses NTT docomo network). That's why the mobile networks is sluggish, but again, wifi has been alright so far.

Thanks!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't update software

Hi and welcome to AndroidCentral.

What happens if you turn off mobile network data and try the update with only WiFi data turned on?

francescjr

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

Hi Laura,

Doing that it still prompts the same "downloading via mobile network may result in additional charges" etc etc.

I think my phone is not really 100% right (for example, it came with easy mode set, but I had to activate it first and deactivate it later in order to get rid of easy mode)

Thanks anyway!
Cesc

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

If you are having problems updating because of the Japanese NTT DoCoMo network, which is not fully compatible with the G900F model, you can either...

1. Connect your phones to the Samsung PC suites, Kies or Smart Switch, and update that way.

or

2. Download and install the update manually for your model of phone, CSC and Product codes, as detailed in the instructions and video in the links of #1.11 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

francescjr

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

Hi Ironass

I run unto your post several times trying to fix the frequencies on the phone... The problem mainly is that I am in a very very countryside area, and with that and having a phone that is not "fully compatible" with NTT docomo I get no data most of the time, but hen I am in more "civilized" places, with less cows around and more people, then it's alright. I will be ina big city soon, so I hope it's not a problem. If not I'll follow the guide, even though looks quite complicated to hack this (and quite annoying to know that s5 can listen to all frequencies but its "deactivated"..)

Anyway, still, if I am with WIFI, it shouldn't prompt the "mobile data warning" message right? (android 4.4.2 is quite old right? or there is other no "full compatibility with Japan and Galaxy s5 and android version?

Trying to do with Kies or smart switch doesn't give any result either... there is no "button" where you can "update firmware" or things like that...

Thanks for your interest though, I appreciate it

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Hi Ironass

I run unto your post several times trying to fix the frequencies on the phone... The problem mainly is that I am in a very very countryside area, and with that and having a phone that is not "fully compatible" with NTT docomo I get no data most of the time, but hen I am in more "civilized" places, with less cows around and more people, then it's alright. I will be ina big city soon, so I hope it's not a problem. If not I'll follow the guide, even though looks quite complicated to hack this (and quite annoying to know that s5 can listen to all frequencies but its "deactivated"..)

Anyway, still, if I am with WIFI, it shouldn't prompt the "mobile data warning" message right? (android 4.4.2 is quite old right? or there is other no "full compatibility with Japan and Galaxy s5 and android version?

Trying to do with Kies or smart switch doesn't give any result either... there is no "button" where you can "update firmware" or things like that...

Thanks for your interest though, I appreciate it

Hi francescjr!

If you supply the following details, I will check and see what the latest firmware is for your model, CSC and Product code.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone INFO ?Samsung? and it will give you, under Firmware Info... PDA, Baseband, CSC, versions.

francescjr

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

Hi Ironass,

Model Number: SM-G900-F
Android Version: 4..4.2

AP: G900FZHU1AND1
CP: G900FZHU1ANCD
CSC: G900FZZH1AND1

Thanks!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

12345678s

Dec 24, 2017
Visit site

I am trying to upgrade the version of android on my samsung galaxy s5. Recently bought.

I have wifi on and working, but when I go to settings -> about device -> software update and I click in "Update now" it prompts:

"downloading via mobile network may result in additional charges. etcetc" but Wifi is on working! if I click OK, it "checking for updates" for a while and says:

"unable to update software. A network or server error occurred".

I have to say that my mobile network is sluggish it comes and goes, but wifi so far has been working properly for any other purpose except that. I am using an unlocked SM-G900F in Japan, with Rakuten Sim card (it uses NTT docomo network). That's why the mobile networks is sluggish, but again, wifi has been alright so far.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
textura