Nova Launcher on s6 Edge+

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Whatsup fellow interwebs. I just got the new edge plus, and installed nova launcher ten minutes ago. I came from a 1st gen Motorola X, and this is a huge jump. I was able to restore the backup and get the ball rolling super quick with nova. There are some things I like about touch wiz, or maybe one thing. The active wallpaper the moves as you move the phone. This is mostly a ramble now...but I did have a question.

I will obviously test this in the coming days, but does nova launcher have any impact at all on battery life? I was thinking it to be a little more lightweight than touchwiz, but I'm not technologically savvy enough to figure these out as facts of my own.
What have you experienced, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks for reading through all of this!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I use Nova Prime and it uses MUCH less battery than TouchWiz Home. Not even exagerrating. TouchWiz will sometimes go rogue and actually suck juice while idle. I have NEVER seen Nova Prime consume battery on standby and whatever battery it uses when active is so negligible you won't even notice it.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Is it smoother than TouchWiz?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I can't really compare as I never used TouchWiz long enough for me to experience the lag it's become infamous for. I can say though that Nova is as smooth as anything, never experienced any slowdowns.

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
does TouchWiz stay active in the background while nova is the main launcher?

Posted via the Android Central App

cmoG22

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't really compare as I never used TouchWiz long enough for me to experience the lag it's become infamous for. I can say though that Nova is as smooth as anything, never experienced any slowdowns.
I haven't experienced any lag on TouchWiz since I've had it (almost a month). I used to use nova in my rooting days....might check it out, but I'm loving the wallpaper motion too much atm.lol

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Not completely sure but you can use Package Disabler Pro to disable it

Thanks a lot, never knew about Package Disabler. I just purchased the Pro version and disabled all bloatware with one click but then had to re-enable Facebook as it was disabled automatically.

I hope my battery life now increases after I disabled all bloatware + installed Nova Launcher

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
nice! that's a great little app. I had no idea how much bloat ware I had, and I was able to disable TouchWiz. we'll see how the battery is after some testing... thanks!

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
nice! that's a great little app. I had no idea how much bloat ware I had, and I was able to disable TouchWiz. we'll see how the battery is after some testing... thanks!

me too man, the amount of blaotware it disabled is insane! Never knew I had so much sucking up my battery before! Will monitor the battery more but this seems like the best thing ever made since sliced bread if it lives up to what it claims it does

Daniel Kang

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
After doing some major debloating/disabling, I average 1day+ with ~5hr SOT. Package disabler definitely works!

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
so my battery was great. today, not so much. down 10% with a little over an hour. battery monitor says that android system and cell standby are taking up the most. any advice?

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
so my battery was great. today, not so much. down 10% with a little over an hour. battery monitor says that android system and cell standby are taking up the most. any advice?

Did you disable Touch Wiz via Package Disabler Pro?

Did you disable some of the bloatware also via Package Disabler Pro like ANT+ Radio Service and what not.....

Did you make sure you have NFC off as it's on by default

Also, go to Settings > Data Usage > Background Data

then turn off background data for Twitter and Facbeook, Instagram. and anything else you don't need to be running / consuming data in the background. I only need to see the updates when I actually open the app

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
ya I've done all those things. yesterday the battery was pretty fantastic. today, I don't know where it's all going! 😣😣😣

Attachments

• 688.jpg
    688.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 98

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
ya I've done all those things. yesterday the battery was pretty fantastic. today, I don't know where it's all going! ??????????????????

give it 2 days for the battery to settle in with these new settings bro, let the battery go down to 20% then charge it to full for like 1.5 hours at least

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing some crazy battery drain from cell standby. my SoT is a little less than three hours and I'm at 28%...anyone know what's going on here?
I did my research and found out this is a common orrurance in lollipop.

UPDATE: did a factory reset, and disabled bloat ware. charging now.

Last edited:

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
You can leave Facebook on, but disable Continuous Contact Upload in the app settings. Basically turning off Facebook's background process. I found that that made a big difference.

This is a good reminder, though, to double check what's been disabled. I get why it disables Facebook because it can have such an effect on battery life, but for me it also disabled IMDb and the Kindle app, both of which use pretty much no battery even in the foreground.

Still highly recommended though. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non