Using your music to create ringtone

tara_adele

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded ringtone maker to create my own ringtones using music I bought from google play store. Some of the songs don't show up on this ringtone maker. I know it says it has to be mp3 format. Are all songs bought from play store not MP3 format? I'm confused. When I "download" the music to my phone from the play music app, where does it actually get stored to?
How can I format my music to mp3?
Thanks,

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you're using the Play Music app to download a file for offline use it's actually using a proprietary format and can only be read in-app. If you want the MP3 file for Music you've purchased you can download it using the Play Music webpage (either from a computer or forcing Desktop Mode in your mobile browser). Files downloaded there should be MP3 and DRM-free.

tara_adele

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
is there anyway to get these proprietary format songs to MP3 once they've already been downloaded from my app on my phone?

tara_adele

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I've wondered this too. I looked for solutions, couldn't find any and just had to deal with using Spotify as my go- to music app.

I'm fine with using google play for the music I've bought, I'd just like to use them as ringtones too. It seems half my music I can make ringtones out of but the other half isn't MP3 format.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, nope. If downloaded by the app it 'protects' the files so that they can only be read by the same app (you can partly blame media license deals and piracy protection for that); Spotify does the same for Premium users. Only if you download the actual MP3 file, which for Play Music has to be done through the webpage, will the file be DRM-Free and in MP3 format. Otherwise it's sort of encrypted by the app.

Also remember that you can only download MP3 versions of music you've purchased. If you have an All Access subscription those files can only be downloaded for offline use using the app, and as such, will be encrypted to be used only by Play Music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress