The S6 Edge is more trouble than it's worth

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
You sound like an Apple lover, not loving technology much. Return the Edge and go get one...

Apple lover because he doesn't like the edge? There are other android phones you could've recommended but instead you recommend Apple, good game sir.

Anyways op, if you're an android person, maybe return and hold out for the new lg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Even with excellent quality control there are going to be some duds.

Posted via Android Central App
I wish more people would understand this better. Just look at the online reviews at Amazon or Newegg. There will ALWAYS be a few customers that get a bad product. No exceptions. The manufacturing process and QC are not perfect. But the few people that do get a bad one always complain and warn everyone not to buy it, and it's junk. <facepalm>

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: It's Official, The S6 Edge is more trouble than it's worth

i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off High Accuracy GPS Mode, Bluetooth, NFC,
Hotspot/Tethering. Toggle on only as needed. (Set GPS Mode to "Battery
Saving" Mode).
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting
Bar to Minimum Acceptable to you.
3. Sign out of any unused Google Services like G+, Google Now, Hangouts, etc.
4. Disable Location Reporting and Location History.
5. Beware of constantly syncing in background Apps and Bloatware like
Facebook, Twitter, Weather Channel, Games, Google News/Weather,
Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more and
change settings to stop the syncing of data you don't need. Delete
their Apps and use their Web Page if acceptable.
6. Turn Off Hot Word "Hotword Detection" Always Listening Mode in
Google Search if you don't use it.
7. Turn Off Auto Camera/Photo Upload or at least set it for Upload on WIFI Only.
8. Turn Off Vibrate on Touch for Display, Keyboard, etc.
9. Turn Off Touch Sounds and Unlock Sounds.
10. Turn Off Ambient Display/Active Display Notifications if you don't need it.
11. Don't use a Live Wallpaper. Use a dark wallpaper if possible.
12. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
13. WIFI Settings - Advanced -
a. Network Notification - Set as OFF.
b. Scanning Always Available - Set as OFF.
c. Keep WIFI on during Sleep - Set as ALWAYS if you regularly use
WIFI. OK to keep WIFI on if you regularly use it.
14. Turn Off Always Vibrate in Gmail/Email.
15. Be careful of using too many Live Widgets and what/how often they sync.
16. Set MS Exchange Sync at 30 Days or Less if you use it.
17. Do NOT use a Task Killer App or Battery Saver App.
18. Uninstall ALL Apps that you never use. If you haven't used an
App in one month, uninstall it.
19. Reboot your phone at least once a month.
20. Wipe Cache Partition at least once a quarter or after every OS Update.
21. Consider a Factory Data Reset with a manual re-sync, manual
reinstall of all data and Apps after every major OS Letter Update.
Make sure that all of your data is first backed up to Google and
Dropbox, etc.

"I SUFFER NO HARDSHIPS DOING THIS" - this means that i personally am
giving up NOTHING with these tips. i'm not giving up any features.
there are no tradeoffs for me. a tradeoff or a hardship would be to
turn off PUSH email or use AIRPLANE mode during the day etc.

you have to find your own balance and the tips list is a start but you
must come to your own conclusion as to what's important. it's personal
preference but these are not a big deal to me at all as they do not
affect the function or operation of my phone. these tips do not
deteriorate my experience.

1-20-15

I get that this is a tailored list for you, but 3, 7, 10 & 11 are ones I would personally strongly disagree with.

That said, 17 is by far the most important one IMO that cannot be stressed enough.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I wish more people would understand this better. Just look at the online reviews at Amazon or Newegg. There will ALWAYS be a few customers that get a bad product. No exceptions. The manufacturing process and QC are not perfect. But the few people that do get a bad one always complain and warn everyone not to buy it, and it's junk. <facepalm>

No offense Ed... But I have to say from all of the complaints about this phone not only on this forum but across the Web, that there are way more than just a few people who have problems with it. You should consider the possibility that you are very lucky that you aren't experiencing these issues as many others are.

I've owned several Samsung phones and when there is as many people who are complaining about problems as there are that usually means that the problem is serious and the few people who post that their phone is fine and the problem is with those who rant is not only condensending but unfortunately uncalled for.

It's going to take a huge amount of people who are very vocal on the forums about the issues to motivate Samsung to fix the problem.

I fully understand that people who have no issues love their phones but don't be blinded to the fact that many people are having serious issues and want it resolved.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

Jonnycraig

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Clearing cache is an important one on battery I had a spell where my battery was awful I cleared the cache and my phone doesn't heat up as much and battery life has improved

Posted via the Android Central App

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
The other day, I went to Starbucks and ordered a Grande Blonde with Soy Milk. It tasted horrible, a combination of burned coffee and spoiled soy milk. I can't understand why people drink Starbucks since it is all burned coffee and spoiled soy milk. I mean, really, how is it that they have 21,000 stores when their product OFFICIALLY tastes so bad?

That ^ just points out that Starbucks does make some bad coffee and just because you got some and I never did, does not mean you can't complain about burned coffee and spoiled milk at Starbucks. Just because it hasn't happened to me, doesn't mean it does't happen often. There are tons of people unhappy with their new S6 and there are tons of people very happy with their new S6.

It's no secret that the S6 has some battery issues. Turning off all features, even if you don't use them, is not the way it's supposed to work. You should expect your phone battery to last all day with all features the way they came when you received the new phone. If Samsung provided an explanation with each S6 they sold, informing the customer that in order for the phone battery to last through the day, you should turn off this and turn off that, then you would have nothing to complain about after your purchase.

I would not put up with the OP's complaints. I would dump that phone and try either another S6 or another product.

Pinhead117

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, what I meant was that if someone criticizes the S6 or S6 Edge, which are the two best Androids available at this moment in Time, they are better off getting an iPhone...don't you think?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, what I meant was that if someone criticizes the S6 or S6 Edge, which are the two best Androids available at this moment in Time, they are better off getting an iPhone...don't you think?

I'd disagree with that. Even if we granted those spots 1 & 2, (I think they're 3 and 5), that still leaves the whole rest of the top 10 list of Android devices that may work out better than changing operating systems. Obviously there are millions of people that can work within the limitations of iOS, but I'm not one of them. My eschewing of Samsung devices doesn't prevent me from having a good experience on some of it's competing (and IMO better) Android devices.

Pinhead117

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I loved my Note 4, but I think the S6 is a much slicker device. Believe it or not, I never used the stylus feature, found no use for it. I don't care for LG or HTC products, I don't think any can match up to what Samsung is offering right now. Ditto the Google Nexus and Motorola products...I despise Apple phones though I do like my iPad. Go figure.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

Battery life differs from phone to phone and user to user. So many factors are involved in how long or not so long a battery lasts. I have had my phone barely drop much in use one day and drop 15-20% while just sitting at my desk. I toggle different things on/off and its just random it seems. What I do know is the more location based services you have on the more the battery is going to drain.

This is my biggest issue. It's so random. I have the same thing. It can go from fairly decent Standby times (for Android) to just abysmal so when I check my phone after a long meeting in which I didn't touch the S6 - it can be drained 20%+ just sitting there a few hours.

All happening in my office so it's the same location. The randomness of battery life of the S6 is what is so perplexing.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Lets see I have had both the S6 and S6 Edge with zero issues that can't be solved by managing services that do use the battery. I don't leave BT or NFC on all day, I turn it on when I am going to my car and use it in the car, otherwise BT is not needed as I walk around. NFC, well thats for shopping.

Want to talk about DEFECTIVE devices. I purchased a new iPad Air 2, updated the OS, added my apps and then it crapped out BIG TIME. It kept boot looping for 30 minutes until I forced it to shut down. Three calls to Apple and AT&T where I get a Genius Bar appt, they say its a bad unit I can get it swapped for a new one, but it won't be in an Apple Box (resale value, sort of like cars with matching VINs everyone wants them). Apple said to go back to AT&T, AT&T said to go to Apple. Ultimately my local AT&T store took care of me, ordered a new unit and took back the DUD.

So you can see any device is susceptible to being a dud. I use any OS any time, I use what works. When it comes to the iPhone I get bored after 2-3 months and always get another Android which does more and offers more and because of that it does use more battery.

The old joke, the greatest trick the devil ever pulled off was making people think he didn't exist. Well there is always a ying to your yang.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I have several issues with this new Samsung "Flagship" phone:
1. Battery life sucks: I am a normal user. I don't play video games, I do take an occasional picture, I check my mail from time to time and generally make about 2 phone calls a day, 5-10 text messages/ day and that's about it. No joke, I get 3.5 hours of battery time. I can hold it in my hand and watch the battery go down about 1% every minute with nothing else going on in the background. Even tried using a case with a built in battery and it could not keep up with the phone sucking the life out of its own battery.
2. It warms up to an uncomfortable level on any phone call more than a minute long.
3. The "quick charge" takes 4 hours to go from 5% to full. It also makes the phone very warm as does any kind of charge I use charger, car, computer USB.
4. It lags on almost every screen change.
5. Every day it asks me to select something as either one time only or always. Apparently always doesn't mean always.
6. I am using the version of Lollypop that came with the phone (5.0.1). When I search for updates I'm told it's up to date. My phone plan is with Verizon.
Something has to happen here because this phone may look good, feel good, have a great camera but it is a power hog!

My edge is also Verizon. Have bought 2 with no issues. Get an average of 15 hours on a charge. Fairly heavy use. Get 5 to 6 hours screen on time. Best device I've ever owned. Running 5.0.2. Also, charges from bottom to top in around an hour.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
You should consider the possibility that you are very lucky that you aren't experiencing these issues as many others are.
Yeah I am lucky, I have a Nexus 6. ;)

I've owned several Samsung phones and when there is as many people who are complaining about problems as there are that usually means that the problem is serious
What about the millions of people with no complaints? Forums are a very small sample, and can't be taken as a true gauge as to how many people are having problems. I can go to any forum and find numerous complaints about any phone. It just seems like a lot of people are having problems, but in reality it's just those unhappy people that are more vocal. Until I see empirical data on exactly what % of people are having problems, I'm not going to worry about any phone I buy. It's always the people with a bone to pick that say exactly what you just did, as if millions and millions of phones are crap. I don't buy it.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I am lucky, I have a Nexus 6. ;)

What about the millions of people with no complaints? Forums are a very small sample, and can't be taken as a true gauge as to how many people are having problems. I can go to any forum and find numerous complaints about any phone. It just seems like a lot of people are having problems, but in reality it's just those unhappy people that are more vocal. Until I see empirical data on exactly what % of people are having problems, I'm not going to worry about any phone I buy. It's always the people with a bone to pick that say exactly what you just did, as if millions and millions of phones are crap. I don't buy it.

It's not that I know there are millions and millions of bad ones.. It's about seeing there is a issue that needs to corrected. When even most reviews show a problem, there usually is one. I can think back to my Note II days and remember the issues it had and see the same thing happening on here with this phone..

Empirical data... Well that will take Samsung to release it, and I don't think that will happen anytime soon

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
It's not that I know there are millions and millions of bad ones.. It's about seeing there is a issue that needs to corrected. When even most reviews show a problem, there usually is one. I can think back to my Note II days and remember the issues it had and see the same thing happening on here with this phone..

Empirical data... Well that will take Samsung to release it, and I don't think that will happen anytime soon

Have a nice day......

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
go to any product forum and its likely to be mainly complaints, people dont go to forums usually to talk about how great and perfect everything is running, people reach out when theres issues and they need help or to vent,

way its always been ive found

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have several issues with this new Samsung "Flagship" phone:
1. Battery life sucks: I am a normal user. I don't play video games, I do take an occasional picture, I check my mail from time to time and generally make about 2 phone calls a day, 5-10 text messages/ day and that's about it. No joke, I get 3.5 hours of battery time. I can hold it in my hand and watch the battery go down about 1% every minute with nothing else going on in the background. Even tried using a case with a built in battery and it could not keep up with the phone sucking the life out of its own battery.
2. It warms up to an uncomfortable level on any phone call more than a minute long.
3. The "quick charge" takes 4 hours to go from 5% to full. It also makes the phone very warm as does any kind of charge I use charger, car, computer USB.
4. It lags on almost every screen change.
5. Every day it asks me to select something as either one time only or always. Apparently always doesn't mean always.
6. I am using the version of Lollypop that came with the phone (5.0.1). When I search for updates I'm told it's up to date. My phone plan is with Verizon.
Something has to happen here because this phone may look good, feel good, have a great camera but it is a power hog!

I got the S6 Edge for my wife worried that not being able to switch batteries was going to be a problem, but i was dead wrong, my wife is a social media addict, Facebook, Instagram, snapchat, she is selfie fanatic also plays games that are known battery hogs like Words With Friends, and Trivia Crack, she texts all day long and not once has she complained about not having her backup battery from the S4. She even uses Google Now which i stopped using 3 phones ago because i felt it was killing the battery on my poor Galaxy Nexus, anyway she gets great battery life considering her heavy use, charges or in the car on her drive home occasionally but had yet to say the battery life isn't good.
So either you have a bad phone, or something, some app or apps is causing your terrible battery life.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

You certainly have a good point but it would be a mistake to suggest that only those complaining on a forum are having issues. Yes people are more likely to be vocal about problems than praise but don't assume that any more than a very small percentage of them are on here.

dhc8guru

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
My wife is the most phone battery unfriendly user. Screen is always at full throttle brightness, she has everything is turned on and uses it heavily with the exception of watching video's. Somehow her edge will last 10 hours on a charge. I see about 12 hours but I shut down what I don't need, use auto brightness but still am a heavy user.
I think he just got a bad phone. My wife upgraded from an S4 to S5 and it had to be exchanged twice because it kept locking up. So I believe it is possible to get a bad phone (or a few bad phones) AT&T gave up and let her change to an Iphone. Which proved to be a bigger mistake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38