Cricket kiosk sold me a blacklisted T-Mobile Galaxy S6

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
5/7/2015 update: I returned to the Cricket kiosk and showed the employee the IMEI report of my phone showing that it is blacklisted across all major US carriers, and reported for fraudulent activity by T-Mobile. He sent the photo to his boss, and his boss immediately granted him permission to give me a full refund with no further hassle.

I've since ordered the AT&T version of the phone with the same specifications (64 GB white) from Amazon and look forward to trying that.

Summary of thread as of 5/6/2015: The Cricket Wireless retailer kiosk at my local mall began selling the Galaxy S6 on the official Cricket release date, but the handsets are the T-Mobile version. They sold one to me on April 24 without realizing that they could not unlock it, and as of today, May 6, I have the phone but have not been able to use it. Earlier today I called Cricket customer service regarding my story, and they informed me that the IMEI number of the phone is blacklisted and reported as lost or stolen. I looked up the IMEI number on imeidata.net and it comes up as blacklisted on AT&T, Cricket, Metro PCS, and T-Mobile, with fraudulent activity reported by T-Mobile (see post #7 for screen shot). I immediately went to the Cricket kiosk to ask for a refund of my phone. The employee called their manager, and he insists that I let the employees flash the phone to the Metro PCS rom so that they can unlock it from there. He says that I can return the phone, but only with a $50 restocking fee. The employee says the manager wants me to come in tomorrow to speak to another employee, whom I assume is supposed to sell me on keeping the phone and allowing them to flash it. I am returning to the store in the morning with a screen shot of the IMEI check of the phone, and will be again insisting for a full refund.

Note: When I made the initial purchase I had not even seen T-Mobile on the back of the box until I had already paid. I had no suspicion that any shady activity had transpired, and at that moment began to believe that Cricket was outsourcing T-Mobile [instead of their parent company for whatever reason] to get Galaxy S6 phones (call me naive). I did not realize that Cricket had their own branded version.

---Original post follows---

Original thread title: "Is it difficult to unlock the S6 if you have the code?"

I have a Galaxy S6 on hold with the Cricket Wireless at my local mall. I'm told they acquired T-Mobile versions of the handset. They finally obtained the unlock codes yestersay but tell me they're having difficulty unlocking the phones. The manager said it seemed like there was something T-Mobile had to do on their end as entering the code was not unlocking the phone.

He said he'd have to speak with the T-Mobile guys that he got the phones from to see what needed to be done. I called back today and was told by another employee that he reached out to Samsung as T-Mobile hasn't responded.

Is it that difficult to unlock a phone once you have the unlock code? I looked at an article that made it seem pretty simple: put in SIM card of compatible carrier and enter the code. Perhaps it's not this simple?

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it difficult to unlock the S6 if you have th code?

If it is the right unlock code all you have to do is pop in another SIM, enter the code, and the phone will be unlocked.

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

Blah, I just picked up the [locked] phone. The girl swore she had tried everything, including having a SIM card in when unlocking. What I should've asked was whether she had an active SIM card in. I popped out the SIM trey before leaving and it has an ATT SIM card. I doubt she'd leave an active SIM card in the phone, so I'm wondering if it would've worked with my active Cricket SIM.

I'm supposed to get a call when they hear back from whoever. She said I'd have to come back in with the phone at that time as she seemed to want to unlock it herself (not sure if she figures I would possibly goof something up and render the phone useless). Really frustrated about this.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

Any updates on this. Was considering getting a cricket S6... maybe AT&T would be the one to use...

joe767

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

By the way for your information tmobile changed the way to unlock the S6&edge. The only way to permanently unlock the phone is with the tmobile unlock app, which means the phone has to be paid in full. I sent my S6 edge back to Tmobile for that very reason. You can't unlock the tmobile S6&edge.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Blah, I just picked up the [locked] phone. The girl swore she had tried everything, including having a SIM card in when unlocking. What I should've asked was whether she had an active SIM card in. I popped out the SIM trey before leaving and it has an ATT SIM card. I doubt she'd leave an active SIM card in the phone, so I'm wondering if it would've worked with my active Cricket SIM.

I'm supposed to get a call when they hear back from whoever. She said I'd have to come back in with the phone at that time as she seemed to want to unlock it herself (not sure if she figures I would possibly goof something up and render the phone useless). Really frustrated about this.

The SIM cards does not need to be active just not deactivated i.e. active then turned off. I have unlocked many ATT devices with TMoble SIM card that have not been active. I have stopped in the store to ask for one before they started charging for them. I also got a one in m unlocked iphone 6+ which I never activated.

I am getting an ATT S6 delivered tomorrow and plan to unlock it.

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Is it difficult to unlock the S6 if you have the code?

Any updates on this. Was considering getting a cricket S6... maybe AT&T would be the one to use...

I have to say it might be simpler to get the ATT handset if you can manage. I know it costs a little more, but you'll have the comfort of knowing it will work without needing to unlock it.

I went back in today and spoke to another Cricket employee. He says that his boss has been stressing over this and still hasn't been able to successfully unlock any of the devices. He says he has another friend who is having difficulty unlocking T-Mobile handsets for customers as well.

As I was about to leave he got an email from his boss, and he recommended flashing the device to MetroPCS firmware. I believe that's what he said anyway. He didn't go into specifics but quickly showed me the detailed guide that his boss linked him for flashing to MetroPCS, and his boss believes this should resolve the issue. I have no idea how the unlocking will work from there, whether he can use the unlock code that he has for my phone, but his boss seems to believe this should work.

The guy was almost off from work and said to come in around the start of his shift tomorrow so that he'd have a good six hour window to get the flashing and unlocking done. I'm going to wipe my phone tonight and bring it in to see what he can do. I'll update on the status once it's done.

I remember reading a discussion elsewhere about flashing to MetroPCS, and I'll link to it if I can find it.

Last edited:

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Is it difficult to unlock the S6 if you have the code?

Another update:

I spoke to T-Mobile tech support, and the guy thought the whole ordeal seemed really shady. He felt there is no way an authorized Cricket dealer should be selling T-Mobile equipment under any circumstances. He said I should get in touch with Cricket customer service to see what they advise.

I got in touch with Cricket and the service agent asked for the IMEI number of my phone. She said the phone came up as "blacklisted, reported as lost or stolen". I went back to the Cricket store and told them all of this. The reps there were nice enough and seemed to want to assist, but they spoke to the manager over the phone and he seemed to insist upon them convincing me to go through with allowing them to flash the phone to the MetroPCS rom to see if they could get it unlocked that way. When I repeatedly insisted upon a refund, they went back and forth texting the manager, who said that I would have to pay a $50 restocking fee.

Eventually the manager told the lady to tell me to come back in tomorrow morning when another guy would be on shift. She showed me the text message conversation, and he seems like a true ****** bag. It seems his intention is to pass me off to another more convincing sales rep to try to get me to keep the phone.

I then went and check the IMEI of the S6 myself, and this is the report:

Samsung Galaxy S6 IMEI (hidden).jpg

The next step is to go back in tomorrow with the iPad to give them a nice large view of that photo. I'm going to again demand a full refund, but have a feeling this manager is still going to try to insist upon a $50 restocking fee. I guess the next step from there is to try to get in touch with Cricket corporate, and if they don't want to help to contact the BBB. If none of that works I may speak with my bank -- perhaps they'd be able to step in since this was a debit transaction.

Sadly it appears that Cricket only sells the 32 GB version of the phone. After I get my money back I'm going to an AT&T store to see if they'll sell me a phone (doubtful that they will), and if that doesn't work I'll have to work something out with a family member who has AT&T. I'll post another update once all this is squared away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress