Anyone worried about dirt/dust getting into the charge/headphone ports of the S6?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm always worried about dirt and crap getting into the charge/headphone ports of the Galaxy S6. :p
Using the Otterbox Commuter with the port covers for now.

Anyone else worried about this?

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered some port plugs from amazon. Set of 5.
Comes with 5 headphone Jack plugs and 5 micro usb plugs. I don't use the headphone Jack or usb. I charge my phone with wireless charger every night . There rubber and stick out about as much as a thin case . Keeps dirt and dust out of the ports.

Knxwledge

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Comes with 5 headphone Jack plugs and 5 micro usb plugs. I don't use the headphone Jack or usb. I charge my phone with wireless charger every night . There rubber and stick out about as much as a thin case . Keeps dirt and dust out of the ports.

Can you share the amazon link? Thanks

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I do not. I am a right handed person :D.

It is the epidermal layer that we all shed throughout the day. Not sure if being right hand dominant has a role in preventing dust intrusion. The seals on the USB and headphone jack prevent dust and dirt intrusion but some will get in through external speaker cutout.

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Got a link for these?

Posted via Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Need pictures. Seems like it would be tough to keep up,with them when charging the phone or using the headphone jack.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Need pictures. Seems like it would be tough to keep up,with them when charging the phone or using the headphone jack.
I don't use headphones and I charge my phone at night on the wireless charger so I don't really need to access my ports anyway.
So for me it would be ideal but for others that always charge there phone using usb or connect to a computer would probably not be ideal. That's probably why when you buy them they sell in bundles like 10 pairs for 4 dollars because the know you will probably loose some here and there. I won't have mine until tomorrow so I can't send pictures yet but you can see on amazon . If you search

Micro usb port cover.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is the epidermal layer that we all shed throughout the day. Not sure if being right hand dominant has a role in preventing dust intrusion. The seals on the USB and headphone jack prevent dust and dirt intrusion but some will get in through external speaker cutout.

Either way I don't care. I use wireless charging and Bluetooth headphones :). Slight dust inside the charging port for the times I do plug in (at work) won't matter at all.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Dust isn't good for any electronic device.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

The only time dust becomes an issue is if it gets completely INSIDE a device and prevents the device from cooling, like in a laptop or PC. That's why you need to blow the dust out with compressed air. This does not happen with your headphone jack or microUSB port. I may hang out in those cavities, but it doesn't get inside the actual device.

I have NEVER covered ports on any of my phones, tablets, mp3 players (there are ports other than the headphone jack).
I have NEVER had a single issue related to dust.
I have ALWAYS plugged my devices in (at least nightly) to charge.

My current S3 (really looking forward to S6 upgrade soon!) is almost 3 years old, has never had ports covered, gets plugged in multiple times daily, lives in and out of my pocket constantly, and I've NEVER had an issue.

I'm fairly certain that dust DOES NOT conduct electricity, is NOT basic or acidic, does NOT spontaneously combust, and basically has no negative effects on the functionality of your device. If you look at some point and see some dust in there, just bend a paperclip and pull it out.

/rant (haha, sorry it was so ranty)