Wireless charging!

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar charging pad but the phone has to be in the right spot for it to charge. Do you think that is the quality of the charger or the type?

Posted via the Android Central App

I have one of those too, and it is dished perfectly for the shape of an S4 with the Samsung charging back. Anything larger, such as an S4 with case or an S5 or S6 with or without case will not rest fully into the dish, and the increased gap will make it difficult to find and maintain the sweet spot. When I use it for my S6 with defender case, I see/hear it lose and regain Qi connection occasionally. Repositioning the phone into the sweet spot will minimize, but not eliminate that. My other two chargers - a generic Qi and the new round Samsung - are not dished and keep the connection throughout the charge. So I would have to say that the original rectangular gray dished S4 charger is not ideal for anything other than the exact phone it was intended for, but will work in a pinch as a spare. Anyone who hasn't already bought one should get the round Samsung chargers.

CameraZOOM-20150625184540044.jpg
CameraZOOM-20150625190205278.jpg

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar charging pad but the phone has to be in the right spot for it to charge. Do you think that is the quality of the charger or the type?
It's the nature of the beast. The center of the coil in the receiver in the phone has to be over the center of the coil in the charging plate. Depending on the plate and the phone, that could be dead center or off to one side or the other, or top or bottom.

Darksurfr

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
A Cap. wireless bass dock? That is sick. Even if the charging speed was slower I would still rock it. Good information here. I thought it was slower too based on coils and induction rates but I guess that really is based on the accessory quality.

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I've got a Samsung wireless charger and i have to drop my phone a small distance (around an inch) onto the charger in order for it to start charging. If i place it onto the charger it won't charge. Is this normal? Anyone else with a Samsung wireless have to do this?

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I've got a Samsung wireless charger and i have to drop my phone a small distance (around an inch) onto the charger in order for it to start charging. If i place it onto the charger it won't charge. Is this normal? Anyone else with a Samsung wireless have to do this?

Which charger? The older light gray rectangular dished one for the S4, the round one, or the square one? If the first one, then no surprise. The round one is less fussy in my experience. Not sure on the square one. Any Qi charger will have a sweet spot, which will become smaller as you add distance, such as a thick case.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
But after a week or so I was more into the fast charging capabilities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
the fast charging is great when you need a really fast charge, but fast charging rates are hard on the battery over time, I see no reason to fast charge your phone overnight, I use the wireless charger when charging overnight and the fast charger when I need alot of charge in a short time, I see no reason to beat up the battery otherwise

sent from my S6 using tapatalk

Patrick Fox2

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, Richard Meyers, but you are mistaken, the "remote" wireless charge pads" do NOT allow for quick charge capabilities, the rapid charge wall unit plug, if used, defaults to 1 ampere charge rate, the induction coil does not have the capabilities to rapid charge , you must use the rapid wall plug in and usb cord to achieve a rapid charge !!! published by Samsung Rapid charge brochure.....

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I got this one doubt before buying a wireless charger! If I connect my wireless charger to a fast charger outlet. Will i get the same speed as the fast charger !

You can use the rapid charger with your wireless charging pad but don't expect the same speed. If you are in the office or asleep, why do you want it? When using rapid charging via the customary manner of plugging directly to the phone, there should be no immediate issue with using it. By the time you notice it, you probably would have upgraded your device. It makes little sense for Samsung to include something that would damage a device whose sales they are dependent upon.

Richard Meyers

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I stand corrected. I had read that the 'lightening bolt' icon indicated fast charging but I checked with a Samsung 1A charger and it is apparently only an indication of charging on the S6.

yoopermjm

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought this one from Amazon:
Amazon.com: RAVPower Wireless Charging Pad for Samsung Galaxy S6, Nexus 4 5 6 7(2013), Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus Vu2, HTC 8X Droid DNA and All Qi-Enabled Devices-Black (AC adapter included): Cell Phones & Accessories
When plugged in to the samsung fast wall micro-usb, it does not say "fast charging" when it is charging, but the time estimate is identical to when the phone is directly plugged in to the micro. It's pretty handy to just have it at my desk at work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty