turn screen wake off for notifications

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
At this point, it might be worth either bringing it to your local Best Buy (if applicable) and asking the Samsung Experience rep to look at it, or calling 800-SAMSUNG and seeing if one of the reps there can help.

labbettm

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
I think it may have been with an update. I havent changed any of my settings and just recently this is happening to me too. I dont like it and i want to have it not happen. I cant figure it out either!

lrbarrios

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
I realize that this thread is 2 years old now, but the fact that labbettm posted today encouraged me to post as well. I have an HTC One E8. It started doing this same exact thing yesterday and it's driving me crazy. I hadn't changed any settings. I agree, it must have been a recent update. If I recall, I did see a recent update for HTC Sense. It's one thing to put out an update that changes the way things work, but to not give the ability to put it back to the way it used to work is just wrong. People get used to the way things work. It's annoying when they change without notice.

barisunver

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Good thing that I'm not the only one just started having this problem. I agree: Some update caused this nonsense to happen on any notification.

I'm on a Galaxy S5 with Android 5, by the way. I'll be following this thread to see if anyone finds a solution.

robarenboim

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
The same thing started happening to my LG G3 today too! I've been looking at forums all day trying to find a solution, and even contacted LG directly and they said nothing can be done other than turning off the notifications from the lock screen (but this completely stops all notifications which ultimately defeats the purpose of a smartphone...). It's so annoying and it's completely draining my battery!!

Jezzi Crypt

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
This happened to me recently, and its been bugging me for the past few days. So I looked at the apps that had notification access and unchecked clean master from the list. So far this seems to have solved my problem.

Akdriveus

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
It makes me mad especially when I'm driving at night!
Looks like I have to block notifications from all apps.
Why they did that?

Something tells me that the issues with my phone will disappear if I uninstall Clean Master and CM Security apps. :)

barisunver

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Guys, I think I found out how it happened. I just updated the "Android WebView" app (on Galaxy S5, Android 5) and the issue is fixed. I think that's the app caused the bug.

Update that app and you might fix it. I'm so happy right now.

Edit: Sorry guys, Android WebView update doesn't fix it either.

Last edited:

JuvieBlanka

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem since a couple of days.
The screen turns on at every notification i get.

Snapchat, whatsapp, gmail, texts, new updates, everything,.... its driving me insane.

Even when im using whatsappweb and i click on a conversation and reply on it my screen turns on. When i open an email from my computer it does the same thing!!

I've been looking for the solution for hours now and still haven't found anything usefull.

Updating The "Android System WebView" didn't work for me.

Akdriveus

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
UPD:
Sounds and notifications > Notifications on lock screen - select "Do not show notifications".
Sounds and notifications > Notification access - Turn Off access for Clean Master and CM Security.
That worked for me. Maybe this is not very wise for the security point of view... but right now it doesn't matter :))

amychica

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Glad to see I'm not insane. I couldn't figure out why notifications are causing my screen to wake, but it's been driving me nuts. I wondered if I accidentally changed something, but it sounds like it was some sort of update... Hopefully they change it back.

Mateo3

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
I am having the same issue. This all happened a couple weeks ago after an update.
Nothing so far that has been mentioned has worked.

super annoying.

JuvieBlanka

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I dont know if everybody that have this problem, have Clean Master installed on their device, but that caused to problem for me.

After i deleted te app my problem was solved.

I guess it was the clean master update from a couple of weeks ago that is causing this problem.

mayjas

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
@Akdriveus...Yup...turning off clean master in notification permission solved my problem too..tnx !!
I'm having one more issue...the notification sounds from facebook / whatsapp / gmail / etc (when the screen is locked) doesn't function properly. The notification sound sometimes just gets cut off in between or it just plays half of the sound.....very rare cases doesn't play the sound at all. Though I get the app notification icon on the Always on display. Any thing I can try? I tried changing all sounds to default, restarting phone, clearing cache, and all the other usual stuff, but no luck till now.
Tnx.

chrisgent

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
Guys, I specially made this account to THANK YOU all who resolved this annoying problem! :))
I just uninstalled Clean Master from my Galaxy s7 and it worked wonders. Super happy!
Thankies once again :-*

Wickerman1972

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
I read through this entire thread and just created an account to reply. I'm having this same problem and it's driving me absolutely insane. The Clean Master app y'all are talking about doesn't appear to be on my phone yet I have the problem. Whenever I go into Notification Access the only programs listed in there are Avast and Cortana and they're both set to off. Every time I get a text the lock screen lights up and it causes havoc when the phone is in my pocket. My movement often causes it to unlock and then I pocket dial people and all kinds of other calamity ensues. Maybe I could get that to stop if I passworded the lock screen but that seems like overkill to me and would overcomplicate using the phone. I've gone through the settings trying to find a way to stop the lock screen from lighting up whenever I receive a text but can't find anything. All I want it to do when I get notifications is beep and light up the LED light. The lock screen lighting up with every text I receive is just plain dumb. Would be great if someone has a solution. I'm using a Galaxy S5 running Marshmallow through prepaid Verizon and I'm using Samsung's texting app that came preinstalled on the phone. I know this is an S6 forum but this is the thread I found.

Edit: Tried everything and there didn't appear to be any workaround if I continued using the Samsung texting app. Nothing I could find anyway. Switched to using the Verizon texting app and the problem is gone.

Last edited:

MrsCC

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
Hey! None of the suggestions worked for me BUT, I have verizon and noticed a new Security and Privacy app. Opened it and under security scan - settings (gears) turned off the real time scan and it seems to have worked!!!

jm1282

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I was having this same issue with my Note 4. I looked through this thread hoping for a quick answer without new apps and didn't find one. What worked form me was going to settings>sound and notifications>application notifications. I then clicked on the offending apps (messages, messenger, gmail) and turned "previews in pop-ups" off. That worked for me in gmail, but not messages.

Last edited:

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
UPD:
Sounds and notifications > Notifications on lock screen - select "Do not show notifications".
Sounds and notifications > Notification access - Turn Off access for Clean Master and CM Security.
That worked for me. Maybe this is not very wise for the security point of view... but right now it doesn't matter :))

I already have "Do Not Show Notifications" checked, and I'm still getting this issue.

:(