S7 or the S7 Edge?

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
A part of me likes the idea of a smaller S7 but the larger battery size of the Edge really has me conflicted. I've never used the Edge in the past and am unsure if the Edge functionality (the edgebar+apps) is more than a gimmick. Nevertheless, it seems like a lot of people are all about the new Edge. Am I missing something that should sway my decision? Why go with one over the other?

Thanks!

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Both. I have a Note4 as my main phone and a A5 as a spare. I'll be getting both in gold to replace these two phones.

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
For me it's gonna be the S7 Edge.

Bigger screen is the main factor for me since I'm coming from a Nexus 6.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If 64GB, S7 Edge :) Hoping Samsung relents in a few months and a 64GB happens. If not, hoping the Note has it :)

The Edge though would be nice due to easier to manage with one hand, but still near same size as Note display. Gotten used to 64GB in my device though and for VR content it is a must. That is unless you like to app & content juggle.

For now my MXPE 64GB main device and Note 4 with Gear VR will do.

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if Samsung or other Developers will be able to hack in "Adoptable Storage" support. I don't do a ton of gaming and most of my storage is eaten by media...though the VR headset certainly sounds interesting!!

Thanks for the info so far, I'm leaning towards the Edge. The only drawback is the slightly larger size but that's hardly a drawback. The sex appeal and battery life boost seem worthy improvements.

How does the Edge get protected by cases? Can I get a glass screen cover for it?

madgalaxy

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
S7 Edge for me. The S7 Edge is only 72.6mm wide! That is crazy small for a 5.5 inch screen device. The Z5 is 5.2 inch and is 72mm wide. Also the edge software features will only add to one-handed usability.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
EDGE!!!! Bigger screen, bigger battery, and it looks damn sexy. I currently have the S6 and don't want it for the most part again.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I was at product training today for the S7 family devices. I directly asked our Samsung trainer how much of an improvement in battery life the S7 edge will get vs the regular S7. His response was essentially to not expect miracles because the larger display will drain more power, so expect the edge to last an extra hour or two a day vs the regular S7.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I was at product training today for the S7 family devices. I directly asked our Samsung trainer how much of an improvement in battery life the S7 edge will get vs the regular S7. His response was essentially to not expect miracles because the larger display will drain more power, so expect the edge to last an extra hour or two a day vs the regular S7.

Doesn't surprise me. It's like the iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6+ battery life. I say this cause I got the plus for the extra battery life xd

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I like the edge. It's screen is bigger than 5.1(on S7) but not 5.7 big (on Note 5). Also the battery is bigger in a smaller package than the Note 5 which only has 3000 mAh. Last but not least, I actually used the edge features on the S6E. BTW I have both S6/S6E as well as the Note 5.