Always on screen question

NuMotiv

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone quick question. I was under the impression that the always on display would shut off when the phone was either face down or in your pocket. This would make sense as its 100% useless to be on when the screen isnt visible. My phone however isn't following this. Was I mistaken?

NOTE: The option that prevents the screen from turning on in my pocket works. I place my hand over the ambient sensor and press unlock and it quickly shuts back off.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine works correctly, after a couple seconds in my shirt pocket the screen dims, then a couple seconds later it goes off. I had to set that though IIRC, it was not a default.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I had to activate the settings in order for it to work mine didn't come turned on

Posted via the Android Central App

NuMotiv

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hum, how quickly does it work for you? I think mine is working, just VERY slowly. I place it face down for a minute or two and it dims. Then when I pick it up it stays dim for another couple minutes.

NuMotiv

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Just did a better test. Held my palm directly over the sensor. It took 30 seconds to dim and another 40 from that to turn off. Total of 70 seconds. Then when I removed my hand it turned right back on. Maybe its working fine and I just don't realize.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone quick question. I was under the impression that the always on display would shut off when the phone was either face down or in your pocket. This would make sense as its 100% useless to be on when the screen isnt visible. My phone however isn't following this. Was I mistaken?

NOTE: The option that prevents the screen from turning on in my pocket works. I place my hand over the ambient sensor and press unlock and it quickly shuts back off.

Yes it is. Mine are off when face down and in a horizontal case.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If the ambient sensor is working normally and to adjust brightness settings in different light conditions etc then it has to be a software issue? In that case a factory reset or reflashing the firmware would surely cure it?

Posted via the Android Central App

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Check your screen time out time. mine is set for 15 seconds. I could be wrong but,I don't think the screen turns off in pocket other than screen time out or power button. you can turn screen on with proximity sensor but not off unless you install an app like gravity screen. It will let you turn off by position of phone or by proximity or both.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty