Blackberry Z10 to Samsung S7 Edge

raxamillion

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
New to the android thing. I just replaced my wife's three year old Z10 with an S7 edge. Any tips or tricks to switch phones? Need to do a full transfer of all the data.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has an app called Smart Switch to do this, but not sure if it will work with your Z. Your best bet may be to transfer what you can to a PC, then use the Smart Switch to transfer that data to the S7. Samsung does have some very helpful tips on their support website also.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Welcome. I've still got a Z10 for work as well as my own S7 Edge. The Z10 is a truly terrible phone - I'm sure you'll be happy with the S7!

raxamillion

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Actually, she had the Z10 since it's release, with zero problems, even now it's fine. She's more pissed because of the whole facebook debacle and lack of a similar yet new tech all touch phone on blackberry, My Z30 Was far too big for her as she is very small.

Hopefully she'll be happier with samsung.

via my beautiful BlackBerry Passport SE running 10.3.2.2876

raxamillion

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Samsung has an app called Smart Switch to do this, but not sure if it will work with your Z. Your best bet may be to transfer what you can to a PC, then use the Smart Switch to transfer that data to the S7. Samsung does have some very helpful tips on their support website also.

I'll give it a try, many thanks for the help. I'm sure this won't be my last time frequenting this site.

ZMc1834

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome. I've still got a Z10 for work as well as my own S7 Edge. The Z10 is a truly terrible phone - I'm sure you'll be happy with the S7!

My Z10 was a work horse that kept up well for 3 solid years and was still going strong when I upgraded to my S7 Edge. App selection was poor compared to other OS's, but I definitely miss the productivity of all notifications being in the Hub.

ZMc1834

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I used Verizon's cloud app to transfer contacts from my Z10. Then just manually transitioned what I wanted to keep in terms of pictures, videos, and music using my computer and copying files from Z10 to S7e.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I hate nearly everything about the Z10.
The interface seems to be based on random swiping with no visual cues on where to go and it's not consistent. Try swiping left or up to look at an email when you're on a call and you get cut off, but from other apps or screens you can. Sometimes I swipe left, I get the hub, sometimes it will be email, texts...
Even from the lock screen, usually it lets me tap an email notification and enter my PIN and I'll go straight to the mail, other times it won't acknowledge and eventually tell me I have to swipe up. The phone is full of idiosyncrasies like this.

Everyone at our place hates them and we are all pushing for a switch to Android/iOS.

Anyway, it still works after a couple of years I suppose.

raxamillion

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I hate nearly everything about the Z10.
The interface seems to be based on random swiping with no visual cues on where to go and it's not consistent. Try swiping left or up to look at an email when you're on a call and you get cut off, but from other apps or screens you can. Sometimes I swipe left, I get the hub, sometimes it will be email, texts...
Even from the lock screen, usually it lets me tap an email notification and enter my PIN and I'll go straight to the mail, other times it won't acknowledge and eventually tell me I have to swipe up. The phone is full of idiosyncrasies like this.

Everyone at our place hates them and we are all pushing for a switch to Android/iOS.

Anyway, it still works after a couple of years I suppose.

I can honestly say I never had any of those problems. Productivity wise, there really is no better OS than BB10 in my opinion. But the app situation has killed it, along with a lack of support or interest from BlackBerry themselves. I still use a Z30,Q5 and a Passport SE. All work perfectly and battery life is easily the best of the bunch. Shame the OS is being slowly killed.

raxamillion

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
So smart switch doesn't work. Not even on the laptop, seems to just be a backup and restore option. Nothing to get them to link and switch. Main thing is sms that need to be switched over. Pics are on the SD card so biggie there.

raxamillion

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm on vodafone UK, I'm just gonna do it via bluetooth. Bit shoddy that samsung don't have an actual switch program that works across the board.

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I can honestly say I never had any of those problems. Productivity wise, there really is no better OS than BB10 in my opinion. But the app situation has killed it, along with a lack of support or interest from BlackBerry themselves. I still use a Z30,Q5 and a Passport SE. All work perfectly and battery life is easily the best of the bunch. Shame the OS is being slowly killed.

I agree with BB10 being a productivity workhorse. I'm coming from a Blackberry Classic. Tough phone with zero issues. I used Blackberry for about 7 years without any major complaints. I was just ready to try something new. Played around with the Priv, but then saw this S7 Edge and was sold. Haha.

I have little niggles with this phone because I was so used to the gestures on BB10, but far and away, I love the Edge.

In terms of transferring content, I had practically everything saved through Google and also Verizon Cloud. The content appeared to auto save so when I switched and signed into Google and Verizon, it synced everything over to the Edge. I realize you are not Verizon though. You could try the little sync adaptor plug that came with the Edge and connect it to the Z10. See if that might work.

djh_wolf

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
When I set up my s7 edge, an app automatically ran asking if I'd like to transfer stuff from an old phone. The blackberry was listed as one of the compatible devices.

anon(3882976)

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
When I went from my BB Z10 to my Galaxy S7, I was using a program named "InTouchApp" on the Z10 for my contacts. When I bought my S7, I installed the InTouch app and it had my contacts all synced up before I made it to the parking lot. I've seen some people say that InTouch wouldn't run on a Z10, but it sure worked on mine.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
So smart switch doesn't work. Not even on the laptop, seems to just be a backup and restore option. Nothing to get them to link and switch. Main thing is sms that need to be switched over. Pics are on the SD card so biggie there.

There is a way as evidenced by my easy switch from amazing bb10 Z30 to the 7e with all my contacts intact. Wish I could remember! The loss of the '10 hub is mitigted somewhat by the BlackBerry Android Hub. Not as good but still better that any other unified box option. (I missed "peek" most).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty