S7 edge or wait?

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've got the itch again..time to get a new smartphone! I've spent the last week or so feverishly researching the S7 edge, and so far, I've heard/viewed a ton of good things about it. I've had my Note 4 (Verizon) for two years, and while I'm still relatively satisfied with it, I can't shake the new phone itch. what I do know is that I need to see what full screen video playback looks like, as I watch a lot of youtube and Netflix on my phones. the question I have for those of you who have the S7 edge, is there any regret or buyers remorse on your part? what is it about the edge that is irritating, annoying, or a minor nuisance? I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback, and no, the LG G5 isn't an option, I don't want to go that much smaller on my display size or battery capacity. Nexus 6P could be in play, however...

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If you like the note you may want to wait for that to come out later this summer

Posted via the Android Central App

Jguffey

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I carry the s7e (personal) and the N4 (work phone) , both Verizon variants. And I still reach for the N4. Samsung pay is the only reason to upgrade IMO.

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I went from the Note 4 to the S7 Edge. Best decision of my life. Size difference barely noticeable. I, too, watch a lot of videos. So much so I am on youtube red, netflix, and around 50 google play movies. You won't regret it.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can complain about is my power button is alittle bit wobbly and I think my SIM card slot isn't completely flush for complete water resistance (I've ran it slightly under water a few times once over the power button and once over the camera and it worked fine after) but I completely love this phone. I've gotten as much as 14 hours of use with 7 hours of SOT. On regular days I usually get 15-17 hours of use with a 5.5-6.5 SOT and I'm like you a heavy video watcher.

Posted via my Black S7 Edge

brad419

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I went from the Note 4 to the S7 Edge. Best decision of my life. Size difference barely noticeable. I, too, watch a lot of videos. So much so I am on youtube red, netflix, and around 50 google play movies. You won't regret it.

That

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense. I went to the Verizon store this afternoon, and I realize that the s7 edge video playback is flawed,IMO. the note 5 would be a perfect replacement, but no SD card kills that deal.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

So you don't see any issues with the way the edges look on regular webpages? I really need the waterproof aspect , and love the idea of a larger battery, but I and I guess I could get used to the overflow of the screen on full screen video. ..I've got 2 weeks to figure it out. I doubt the note 6 is going to be water resistant, unless they figure out a way to do it with the S pen. Seems that I'm at a crossroad...

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I can complain about is my power button is alittle bit wobbly and I think my SIM card slot isn't completely flush for complete water resistance (I've ran it slightly under water a few times once over the power button and once over the camera and it worked fine after) but I completely love this phone. I've gotten as much as 14 hours of use with 7 hours of SOT. On regular days I usually get 15-17 hours of use with a 5.5-6.5 SOT and I'm like you a heavy video watcher.

Posted via my Black S7 Edge

That's awesome battery life, I'd be satisfied with what I get with my note 4...that's really good information. Thanks.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Same boat as you.

I've decided to wait for the Note 6 since that might be quite a beast, which is great for my usage pattern.

That said, that S7e is mighty tempting. It's superb and I actually have a serious craving for one. XD

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Get the edge now! I had the note 5 and I never looked back after the s7 edge came out.

bullittmustang

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about my S7 edge is the lack of an IR blaster. I didn't use it all of the time, but it was nice to have. Maybe they will bring it back next year.

tengtengvn

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Overall. I love the size. The screen is a tiny bit smaller than the 5.7" but because it's wrapped around the edges, it feels much smaller in the hand. I came from the Note 4 and Note 5. Battery is great. I can use it as much as I like and still have 20-30% left by 11:00 PM. Worry about the battery drained by the evenning is nolonger a concern.
I actually thing video somehow looks better with the dual edges. This didn't suprise me since I had the S6e+ before.
I haven't tested the waterproofing but looking at all the crazy tests on youtube, I won't be worry to go near the pool.
I also had the 6P. Just sold it a few days ago. I like my phone with higher DPI and the S7 condensed mode fixes it. Beside some advance rules I have in Taskers which require root. I don't miss pure Android and root that much. MM is already awesome as it's.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to realize that even with the the Note 6 on the horizon, it's probably not going good to have one feature I'm looking for, water resistance. There are no other phones available right now that has everything the s7 edge has, as a whole. I don't care for the S pen, I hardly ever use it. I think my decision is pretty much done, unless I want to wait until next year, or go with the iPhone 6plus S, which is highly unlikely...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to realize that even with the the Note 6 on the horizon, it's probably not going good to have one feature I'm looking for, water resistance. There are no other phones available right now that has everything the s7 edge has, as a whole. I don't care for the S pen, I hardly ever use it. I think my decision is pretty much done, unless I want to wait until next year, or go with the iPhone 6plus S, which is highly unlikely...

The S7 Edge is a good phone .if it fits the bill then get it. You have a return period if it doesn't work out, do keep that in mind too.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The S7 Edge is a good phone .if it fits the bill then get it. You have a return period if it doesn't work out, do keep that in mind too.

i'll definitely keep that in mind, but again, there aren't many other choices out there that meet my needs in the near future, so I either keep my note 4 (and hold my breath for the marshmallow update) or I go with the S7 Edge. the Note 5 loses out due to being very similar to the Note 4, without the SD card option, and smaller battery, and no water resistance. looks like the S7 edge wins out, if I MUST get a phone this calendar year.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
i'll definitely keep that in mind, but again, there aren't many other choices out there that meet my needs in the near future, so I either keep my note 4 (and hold my breath for the marshmallow update) or I go with the S7 Edge. the Note 5 loses out due to being very similar to the Note 4, without the SD card option, and smaller battery, and no water resistance. looks like the S7 edge wins out, if I MUST get a phone this calendar year.

Seeing that you've been using Samsung for 2 years.

I'd suggest you go the Nexus 6p route. Trust me for a few things;

1. The Software. Stock android is nothing like touchwiz. In a good way. And there's no better feeling to get the update on the day it is released. It's soooooo snappy and you will not regret it just for this reason.

2. Screen size and front facing speakers. I see you watch a lot of media. Trust me when I say this, the front facing speakers and larger screen combination is unlike any other.

3. The built. While the S7 edge is the best looking phone out there. The metal game is a whole different story. I can't explain it. But you'll see when you get the S7 edge. Which you will I think.

Yes the 6P doesn't have water resistance. But it clearly delivers in many other areas better than the S7.

The S7 edge has water resistance and SD card over the 6P. But you can get the 64gb version for less than the price of the S7 edge. Or even a 128GB version.

Anyways. The decision is yours. Which I think you've made already.

But trust me, stock android, front facing speakers, larger screen and the metal body are VERY UNLIKE Samsung. Which you will enjoy and these features will feel fresh to you after using Sammy boy for two years.

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I find that so many people play the waiting game. Sometimes it's a wise decision and sometimes they miss out on a truly great device. I say live for the moment! Coming from the Note 4, you won't be disappointed. Jmho

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've got the itch again..time to get a new smartphone! I've spent the last week or so feverishly researching the S7 edge, and so far, I've heard/viewed a ton of good things about it. I've had my Note 4 (Verizon) for two years, and while I'm still relatively satisfied with it, I can't shake the new phone itch. what I do know is that I need to see what full screen video playback looks like, as I watch a lot of youtube and Netflix on my phones. the question I have for those of you who have the S7 edge, is there any regret or buyers remorse on your part? what is it about the edge that is irritating, annoying, or a minor nuisance? I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback, and no, the LG G5 isn't an option, I don't want to go that much smaller on my display size or battery capacity. Nexus 6P could be in play, however...

Jump on in dude. Life is short, there will always be something new and better. LIVE THE MOMENT and have fun. I luv my S7E.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa