Home Button Loose and Crunchy

MoneyCannon

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
About a week ago, the home button on my S7 Edge started acting up. It seems a bit loose, as I am able to rock it back and forth a bit from one side to the other.

The really annoying issue however is that it's developed a crunchy feeling when pressed, which happens about 80 percent of the time now. It's not as bad if I press directly in the center, but if my finger is closer to the edges, it's really bad. Crunchy is the best way I can describe it. When pressure is first placed on the button, before the button clicks down, there are audible clicking / crunchy noises.

I called Samsung and they asked me to send it in, but that means I'll be without a phone for up to 12 day. I'm also worried about them possibility swapping me out with a refurb, which I really don't want.

Has anyone else had this issue? I can post a video if need be.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'd wonder if some kind of gritty material made its way down the seam of the button and is stuck in there. It's too bad you can't just have someone open up the phone and clean out the Home button area, then close it back up again (and not lose warranty).

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I cringed when I read the "crunchy" in you title. :eek: I wonder if you can use canned air around the button? My laptop has similar individual buttons that have had a crunchy feel when depressed and the air fixed it.

MoneyCannon

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Justin are you having the same issue?

Tried spraying the button with canned air, even while pressing the button down. No luck.

It doesn't seem like something made its way under the button, because it makes the same noise when both the left and right sides are pressed down. Like a crunchy, crackling candy wrapper type of sound. I'm going to give it another week to see if it gets any better. If not then i'lll be shipping it off to Samsung.