Android OS destroying My Data and the S7 Edge

Hamid Hafeez

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I've had something odd happen to me last night.

I have 10gb usage that is renewed on the 2nd of every month. When I woke up I found 2 text messages. One at 3:19 saying I have used 80% of my allowance and one at 4:05 saying I've used 100% (thats 2 gigs within an hour whilst I was sleeping)

After managing to get my 10 gigs reinstated, I find that chrome has used 5.65gb and android has used 4.61 - no idea why.

I also have samsung edge on ee

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I've been having this problem for the last month. My plan reset on November 3. I hit my 2gb cap already today. The culprit? Android OS had used 1.8gb. What is going on?

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I had this recently, only things I'd changed was good backup turned on and hand picked apps to use background data. Since setting these back to the default the issue has cleared.

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Install DataEye from playstore. This app does not require root permissions. It can stop or allow individual apps from using your data.
I had the same problem until I came across this app in a forum. Since then the ANDRIOD OS and other apps are nipped in the bud.
Once again install DATAEYE.

giocs

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
hello

I have been having the same problem with my s7 since last year, it even went to samsung tech support and they could not solve my problem. I read in a lot of foruns about turning sync off, all back up off, deactivate some apps, reset my phone, etc. And none of this was working, everytime i reseted my phone, it never worked. I even used DATAEYE wich did not work (but it helped a little).
I did everything i could and the problem was there. So one day (after a long time) i realized that when the phone was on the power saving mode it destroyed my data, so thats when i found what was causing all this trouble. Right now i turned power save mode off and it is all ok.
hope i will help someone with this post.

(i still have to send to tech support because this is not normal to happen)

Glenys Dempers

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I have the crazy issue as well. 600mb data in 15 days on Androis OS. Please explain how to fix this??? I had to purchase additional data, I only ger 500mb for the month. Last month was 272mb and the month before that 98mb that was before the OS update... :(:mad:

giocs

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi please explain to me how to change the settings you did to get rid of the overuse of the mobile data

It worked on my phone, i don't know if it is going to work on your phone, but you should give it a try. Go to configuration > battery > power saving mode > put the button on "deactivate".

Let me know if this works for you.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the crazy issue as well. 600mb data in 15 days on Androis OS. Please explain how to fix this??? I had to purchase additional data, I only ger 500mb for the month. Last month was 272mb and the month before that 98mb that was before the OS update... :(:mad:
500mb data nowadays is really too small. I can lose more than that in a day due to the online sync/backup of photos.

Glenys Dempers

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Hey, I have found the solution.
What i have noticed that something is running on the background data, but I could not identify what app is sending so much data, so I started with backing up my whole phone.
I then started deleting all the unused apps. checking it the Android OS is still sending data during the course of the day. it was still using data. so i uninstalled facebook, facebook messenger and all social media apps, It started to decrease drastically!!!!!! but not to an acceptable usage.

I tehn deleted all my app ecept whatsapp. then it completely STOPPED, the Android OS background usage.
My suspicion is that an app was not functioning correctly and it kept running in the back ground. But unfortunately I can not pin point the precise app. My husband told me to Google/ Youtube Facebook messenger and background data. Be careful to have Facebook messenger on you phone, you give them authorization to make call,s and send ALL the data on you phone to FB, that why they know how to direct adverts to you when you are searching for specific products. Take time and google it. I was blown away. BUT newer the less, my background date have DECREASED to Approx 1mb pd. down from 100mb pd. I have in the meantime started reloading the apps i used, and it has not increased yet.

@Chanchan05, even though 500mb might not be a lot, I have Wifi at home so all my backups run from the home wifi, my real issue is the mobile date usage that i additionally have to pay for, in SA data is not cheap!!!!

GOOD Luck to everyone.

I hope this info will help.
Gwen

Abdullah Al-Nuaimi

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
hi I have my S7 edge with the same issue (very high data usage by the android os with moderate high battery usage)
android os utilize 130mb over three days out of 210mb total data used over the 3 days
my sync is off
no back up enabled over data or restore of any kind
no facebook app nor messenger
Screenshot_20170203-142700[1].jpgScreenshot_20170203-142707[1].jpgScreenshot_20170203-142737[1].jpg
i removed most of the apps and the situation continues

any suggestions?

Razvan Almajan

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi to everyone!

I own a Samsung S7 edge(SM-G935F).
My Android Os is Marsmallow 6.0.1.
I have a big problem with my data consumption:
OS services is eating so much data.For example today,till 10 a.m,it took me 0.98GB.
After 6 hours,I've checked again my data plan (My data manager-application) and:surprise:1.99 GB .
In the past,I had a OS services consumption randomly:sometimes 100 MB per day,somedays 70,other days 365........
But today: CATASTROPHIC CONSUPTION:2 GB of data.
I really don't understand.........
Can somebody please tell me how to solve this problem?
Thank you!

Razvan Almajan

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
Update:
I've found out that the problem is from the false report of "My data manager" application.
So.....there is a huge difference between my Orange network cost control (300 MB) and the app.:1.99 GB (even 4 GBat the end of the day).
So.....I've unintalled the app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
500mb data nowadays is really too small. I can lose more than that in a day due to the online sync/backup of photos.

True but not all are that lucky. I use a couple GB a day easy but I am fortunate enough to have an unlimited plan.

262MudCarver

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I have only recently been experiencing huge data use from Android OS. From 148mb two cycles ago, to 156mb last cycle, to 4.27GB this cycle! No known changes in usage habits or new apps. Just a total mystery that is really getting aggravating! I usually use just under 2.5 GB total data per month, and am on par with that now, aside from Android OS. Total app usage is at 6.02 GB.

byczatko

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I have only recently been experiencing huge data use from Android OS. From 148mb two cycles ago, to 156mb last cycle, to 4.27GB this cycle! No known changes in usage habits or new apps. Just a total mystery that is really getting aggravating! I usually use just under 2.5 GB total data per month, and am on par with that now, aside from Android OS. Total app usage is at 6.02 GB.

Same here Android OS is sucking my data up.
it started last month. No new apps were installed everything is being used same way and Android OS is going crazy.
I contacted Samsung they were not able to help. I Took the phone to the Samsung store were they were in shock seeing 2GB usage from OS they reformatted the phone reloaded OS run all the diagnostics and found nothing. Android OS is still using 100mb a day. Interestingly enough Android OS is not using as much data on WIFI.
Apps mostly used
FB
YouTube
Candy Crash saga
Chrome

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Same here Android OS is sucking my data up.
it started last month. No new apps were installed everything is being used same way and Android OS is going crazy.
I contacted Samsung they were not able to help. I Took the phone to the Samsung store were they were in shock seeing 2GB usage from OS they reformatted the phone reloaded OS run all the diagnostics and found nothing. Android OS is still using 100mb a day. Interestingly enough Android OS is not using as much data on WIFI.
Apps mostly used
FB
YouTube
Candy Crash saga
Chrome
Are you checking with your carrier or the phone? I check with my carrier and they're recording far lower data usage than my phone.

jerocarson

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello mate,

I understand your frustration about stuff like this.. The reason I love android is simply because it gives you a lot of freedom but if you're not careful, you can get a lot of pain in the back-side.

Now, out of the box, my S7 does all the great stuff, I get notifications on a bunch of things. I use 5 Instant messengers paired with tons of update. Then, I discovered my data was draining faster than I imagined. lol,

The first thing I did was to disable auto-update on Google Play. Meh, that's another thing one needs to do one a new phone. I have tons of updates now, but unconsciously, I don't care anymore.. I rather update an app or game when I desire to do so, not updating without my permission and draining my precious data... And these stuff have a way to get you unaware, either when you are sleep or you dropped your phone.. You wake up your phone and find out X amount of bunch have been updated.

Nevertheless, you need to disable background data. There are tons of guides you can use out there but this is the one that worked for me, ... here is the guide to disable background data on Samsung Galaxy S7, you might want to check it out.

I hope this helps.

emme connelly

May 22, 2017
Visit site
okay i had this issue for ages and couldnt find a solution for the life of me. idk if its the same for all of you but i hadnt updated my phone and thats why it was using all my data. even though i had auto updates off, it was trying to update anyway and kept failing. connect to wifi and update your phone to the latest by checking in about device. androidos now uses less than 1mb a day for me, whereas before it was using upwards of 200mb.