Movies On A 4:3 tablet. What's The Problem?

Sir Loyne

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand why people complain about watching a movie on the S2 4:3 screen. The black bars are really, really black. It isn't like they're just kind of dark grey or something. And who cares anyway? Do these same people complain about the bars on the side when they're watching a full screen video on a wide screen tablet? Do they complain about bars when they're watching a 2.35:1 (approx. 21:9) movie like Star Wars on a 1.78:1 (approx. 16:9) screen? Somehow I doubt they do. This is the most ridiculous thing for people to complain about.

Where do people stand? I'm curious about why people either don't care or don't like it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
When you see the difference on a 16:9 screen it really does become apparent. My main gripe are NOT the black bars (most movies have them anyway, even in the widescreen Tab S or are, like you say, not even 16:9), but the size of it. The black bars, even though pitch black thanks to AMOLED, are much bigger on the S2 than on the original S, and actually the main reason why I skipped the S2 and am waiting for a (hopefully) widescreen, AMOLED Note tablet.

The truth is almost no one makes 4:3 content anymore, so if you want this tablet for media consumption, it is not the best ratio to have. Not terrible, just not the best.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Actually netflix is fine with the 4:3 format, its plays some movies in full screen without the bars now with the latest netflix updates....i think hulu does the same as well so its no big deal...Remember, ipads have been in 4:3 format forever and many movie apps support it which helps in our case.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thewhitecarno