Gear Manager Settings Crash

hypnospastic

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 4 that I pair my Gear 2 with and they have been working seamlessly for about a week. Two days ago, Gear Manager informed me that an update was needed so I let it do its thing.

After the update, I went in to settings to change something and as soon as I hit it, I am informed that Gear Manager has stopped working and the app shuts down. Everything else within Gear Manager works fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on a resolution?

Posted via the Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 4 that I pair my Gear 2 with and they have been working seamlessly for about a week. Two days ago, Gear Manager informed me that an update was needed so I let it do its thing.

After the update, I went in to settings to change something and as soon as I hit it, I am informed that Gear Manager has stopped working and the app shuts down. Everything else within Gear Manager works fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on a resolution?

Same problem here. All functions of Gear Manager work until you tap settings and the app crashes - Gear Plugin has Stopped. Got my Note 4 on the 17th and a Gear 2, everything worked fine until the update on Gear Manager somewhere around the 23rd. I've done everything, unpaired, uninstalled software, reinstalled (numerous times), cleared data and cache, wipe the cache partition on the phone, reset the watch, factory data reset the phone - nothing works. Called Samsung customer service tech support yesterday and no solutions to fix. A friend has an S5 and Gear 2, his was also working fine until the update, now he has the same issue. Only thing I can suggest is to contact Samsung and report the problem. Maybe if enough people do that, they will push out an update quickly to fix the problem.

jwt873

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Hmm.. I was thinking of running in to town today and picking up a Note 4... Maybe I'll hold off for a while.

hypnospastic

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for posting. At least I know I M not the only one. I will give Samsung a shout and hopefully more will as well to get this fixed.

To the user that is thinking of waiting for the Note 4, go get it. It is a crazy awesome phone and works well, with this exception, with the Gear 2.

I will post after I talk to Samsung.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.. I was thinking of running in to town today and picking up a Note 4... Maybe I'll hold off for a while.

No reason the wait on getting the Note 4, it's a GREAT phone. The issue with the Gear is not a fault of the phone but the update to the Gear Manager app. The Gear 2 works fine in all respects with the Note 4, the only problem is accessing settings through the Gear Manager app. I'm sure that will get resolved soon. Everything else can be set or adjusted in the app or on the watch, just can't access settings in the app without it crashing.

ougum1

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Just purchased my gear 2 last night. Returned a Moto 360. I paired the gear 2 to my Galaxy S5. Everything in gear manager works except settings. When I try to open settings, the app crash and I get "Unfortunately Gear Plugin has stopped". I've uninstalled then reinstalled the app about four times trying to fix this issue. I've also reset the gear 2 to factory a few times. Almost made me want to return the watch till I saw this thread.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't return it and would just wait for the update. It's a great watch, I really like it and it's functions. The software issue will get resolved, I just hope they do so quickly. It is a bit frustrating but not a deal breaker for me.

ougum1

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
It really is a great watch, but I'd bet they're going to get a lot of returns if they don't hurry and fix their software.

jackiespino

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm so glad I found this forum -- I'm so frustrated with this error. I have un-installed the app, I have reset the phone, everything I could think of. My phone is a week old (Note 4) and my Gear 2 is three days old -- and I want them to play nice together, dammit.

budgitApp

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
As a developer for the Gear, this happens sometimes... :S Just give Samsung some time to sort out the issue, they should fix it...

hypnospastic

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Oddly enough, I did a complete Uninstall and re-install just now of Gear Manager and I managed to open the settings without a crash.....keeping my fingers crossed it's fixed.

Scott264

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Same problem with my Gear 2 Neo after the 10-25-14 update. I called Samsung and after 3 transfers I was assured that I was speaking to the appropriate representative. I explained about gear manager crashing when accessing settings and that many people were experiencing this issue.
In fact, when I reinstalled gear manager from the Samsung support page (since it has been removed from the galaxy app store) I was able to see the long list of one-star reviews from pissed-off customers having the same problem. I asked the rep about a fix and she snapped at me and said that Samsung has NOTHING to do with gear manager updates. She said that all software for the gear and gear 2 neo watches as well as the gear manager app is handled by Google engineers! I found this hard to believe which caused her to snap even more rudely and inform me that she works for Samsung and she should know better than me. She then started ranting about issues with Android 4.4.2 and that we would all have to wait for Google to release a fix. I repeated that my question related to the recent update to Samsung's gear manager app and not Kitkat. She then spoke very slowly and condescendingly as if she was engaging a 2 year old and repeated once more that gear manager updates were handled by Google. I hung up. I'm not technical but does anyone else think that this is baloney?

johnmltb33

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Scott,

I can't see that you are wrong since the Gear 2 runs on Tizen, a Samsung operating system. Maybe she thought you were talking about the Android Wear Gear Live.

ougum1

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I also uninstalled/reinstalled gear manager. Settings open fine now. Only problem is, once you reinstall manager, you have to factory reset your watch. It's a pain reinstalling apps and setting the watch back up. But it is working now.

Scott264

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I thought. I clearly said Gear 2 Neo. Even if she did think I meant the Gear Live why would she be mentioning problems with Kitkat?

Scott264

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, another reinstall did allow me to access settings without crashing.
This update still has issues since it has completely disabled one of my favorite apps: Watch Styler / GearFaces :(

NEmickeyfan

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Same problem with my Gear Manager app. Setting give me the "samgsung gear plugin has stopped" message. Also, gone is the purchase history, app ratings and reviews from the apps. I have emailed Samsung tech support and they suggested a number of fixes, but none of them help. Like the others, my problems with Gear Manager started after the recent firmware update. I did reinstall the Gear app but did not fix the problem plus I lost my purchased apps. Have a hunch that only an update is going to fix the problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo