S-Health Steps not matching watch to phone

redram38

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I have the Verizon Gear s and Note 4. The first few days the steps on the watch and phone were the same, now they are never the same. They have been off by as few as 15 steps to as any as over 100 steps. Is this an issue for anyone else? I also tried changing the setting in S Health to track steps on the phone then walked to see if the steps on the watch and phone would match since I had both with me and the phone showed about 10 more steps than the phone. Seems like my watch is having issues keeping track of the steps.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
You think that's something?

I use my watch to track my steps during the day and I also have a Fitbit One which I've owned for over a year now. At the end of any given day, they can differ by hundreds of steps. I don't trust anything measuring steps from my arm because I can shake my arm and get steps with the Gear S. The Fitbit is at least on hip which should translate to measuring steps better.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
My Gear s will not give me steps by moving my arm. My fitbit force would.

Trust me, it will. Not just by moving my arm but I noticed it when I put some water favoring into a bottled water container. Of course you have to move your arm really fast and with a bit of force to blend the mix with the water. I saw the numbers jumping when I looked at the watch.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I've tried. I'm not getting them. But in the end I'm not looking for an exact number. I just set my goal kinda high and aim for it.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I tried swing my arms and it won't register the fake steps. But I also notice that it doesn't report your steps immediately. There are some random delay.

Yes, looking for exact number of steps should not be the target. None of them are that that accurate. It is quite difficult to really count your steps without count the fake ones. When I was using Nokia phone to track the steps, it tracks the steps when I'm driving (I guess every bump counts as a step).

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I know what you guys are saying. I know none of them are accurate but I hate at the end of the day to look at my watch and see 12,000 steps and then look at my Fitbit and see 13 or even 14,000 steps. Aside for the false steps, it seems to miss steps also. But then again, I guess I could say the Fitbit is missing or adding them.

Truth be told though, this is what Fitbit does so I tend to trust that more.

redram38

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I guess I figured since the phone was set to sync with the watch to get the steps they should match. I can understand that they may not match if the phone is set to get steps from the phone. Oh and you can get false steps by just shaking the watch on or off your arm but you can do the same with the phone. Just wanted to make sure the watch was not defective. Everything else seems to work as it should and so far it is very helpful during the work day. Just looking at the watch to see who is calling or texting is so much easier than pulling the Note 4 out of the hostler to get the same information

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I know what you guys are saying. I know none of them are accurate but I hate at the end of the day to look at my watch and see 12,000 steps and then look at my Fitbit and see 13 or even 14,000 steps. Aside for the false steps, it seems to miss steps also. But then again, I guess I could say the Fitbit is missing or adding them.

Truth be told though, this is what Fitbit does so I tend to trust that more.
It was easy for me to get false steps on the fitbit. My nephew just shook it in his hand and got 25 steps at a time.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
S health tends to aggregate all the information together if both your phone and watch are counting steps. In addition, watch only syncs with phone at a certain preset schedule. So, if you want to get the latest from the watch, you need force a sync.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
That's one thing I'd love to see Samsung fix. Better sync algorithms that figure out which device you have when, and aggregates the results of each to paint an overall picture, a la Wear.

Posted via the Android Central App

johnboo21

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if watch and phone updated at the same time, but only does it on 24hr intervals. I use the S Health widget on my phone and it allows you to just update it from there. You can also update from Gear app>S Health settings>Transfer now

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't get any step count if I move my arms up and down no matter the force I use, but I was curious about the accuracy of the Gear S, and wore a Misfit Flash on my shirt for an an entire night and day, and the step count was the same. They also both tracked my hour long run the same.

Maybe there are manufacturing differences in the sensors - I am glad mine works as expected.

I agree, though, it is mostly about improving and being reminded to move my ****. I had no idea HOW little I move around during winter work days.

ETA: wow, how can **** be a bad enough word to be masked? What about ***? I guess I'll use "behind"?

redram38

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Just an update. The past few days my watch and phone have synced perfect. The issue seems to have resolved itself. I did have to do a reset of the watch due to a voicemail issue so maybe that fixed it. Thanks for the help.

usmanpkz

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
My gear s would also not track my steps properly.. infact sometimes it wont track when i am actually walking with a weight.. my galaxy s5 was better in tracking steps.. disappointed from gear S.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana