Samsung Pay and Gear S2 question

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Has it been said yet if you'll need a Galaxy S6 or later to use Samsung Pay on the Gear S2? I have a Galaxy Note 4 and would hope that I can still use Samsung Pay on the Gear S2.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why you'd need the phone since the hardware is on the watch, BUT since the Samsung Pay app is not available for the Note 4, that might be where the limitation lies.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
MST tech, I believe, it's still not 'there' to allow hardware miniaturization so that it can fit into a reasonable watch size. But still, NFC-only Samsung Pay would be nice, at least to compete with the Apple Watch (which is what they're obviously after). Now, it being NFC, I wonder if Google Wallet would work as well...

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
As the Note 5 isn't coming to Europe it'd be good to know if Samsung pay will work with gear S2 and Note 4. Don't want to give up S pen.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
As the Note 5 isn't coming to Europe it'd be good to know if Samsung pay will work with gear S2 and Note 4. Don't want to give up S pen.
If it does, it'll only be NFC. I don't think Samsung has said whether or not older phones will get Samsung Pay though.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Note 4 has never been in the official compatibility list, and to the best of my knowledge, they won't make it compatible with older phones. The Gear S2 is another beast because it's just been announced, so that's just 'not knowing'. Although if they're leaving older phones out because of the lack of MST hardware (NFC only), then the same logic would/could apply to the Gear S2, in which case it would mean that Samsung Pay wouldn't be available in "NFC-Only" mode.

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it would be possible for the Gear S2 to support Android Pay for older devices that don't support Samsung Pay. I doubt they would as they'd essentially be encouraging people to use a competitor service but I can hope until the official "no" answer comes out.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
So Samsung Pay just came out for the Gear S2. It only supports NFC. I wonder if Samsung will make the Gear S2 support MST technology or if they'll just come out with another smartwatch that supports both NFC and MST? Perhaps the Gear S3?

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
So Samsung Pay just came out for the Gear S2. It only supports NFC. I wonder if Samsung will make the Gear S2 support MST technology or if they'll just come out with another smartwatch that supports both NFC and MST? Perhaps the Gear S3?

I don't think the Gear S2 has MST hardware built in. Hopefully the Gear S3 will.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding, the s2 doesn't have the hardware for MST. Maybe in the s3 it will.