Weather definitely not updating

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This is what's frustrating. Mine comes and goes and I don't know why. I've downloaded and tried out a couple of non-stock watch faces (neither of which uses a weather complication), but have made no other changes to the watch. Makes me think Samsung is fiddling around with the problem without telling anyone.

mcefalu

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the 3G Gear S2 and it is still not updating weather even after adjusting some settings. I sent an email to Samsung and following is an excerpt from their reply:

It must be really inconvenient that the weather is not updating automatically on your Gear watch. I will provide you with the possible steps to resolve this issue in this regard.

We have no such reported issues with the Gear watch or the weather application. I request you to try following troubleshooting steps and check if that works fine.

1. Try un-pairing the Gear watch with the phone and re-pair it.
2. Try clearing the cache and data of the Gear manager application on the phone and check if that helps. Performing clear cache and data will refresh the application and will set the application to default deleting the cache files of the application.

From Home screen tap on Apps > Settings > Applications/Application manager > Swipe the screen to All > Scroll down to the Gear manager application > Tap on the application name to clear the cache and data.

3. Try restarting the Gear watch and check if that works fine.
4. If the issue persists, try un-installing and re-installing the Gear manager application and try pair the Gear device and check if that works.
5. If the issue persists, try resetting the Gear device to the factory defaults and check if that helps. These steps will completely reset the device, deleting ALL settings and all data on the device.

On the idle screen tap on settings > About Gear > Reset Gear.

I hope the above provided instructions will help you in resolving the issue.

The interesting part about the message is that they claim that don't have any reports on this issue! WTF.

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Nova. I was having trouble with weather updating. I changed to TW and launched the weather widget. I removed my saved city, which is where I live. I turned on location based weather. I now seem to be getting regular updates.

Last edited:

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
TW is Touch Wiz, the stock launcher on Samsung phones.

I've never used anything but the stock launcher, and I've been through the routine of removing saved city, location based, etc. Doesn't work for me.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
A FWIW update:

A couple of days ago, I got a new phone, the Note 5, to replace my old S4. Long story short, weather is once again updating hourly for me.

I know others here are using the watch with Note 5 phones, so not sure why mine is working correctly. The process went like this: ATT sales person transferred the contents of my old phone (including the Gear app) to my new Note 5, using Smart Switch. When I got home, I fired up the Gear app on the Note 5, to go through the procedure to pair it to the watch. Before letting me do that, the Gear app updated itself. Finally got the watch paired and it's now updating weather correctly. Could be that when the Gear app was on the old S4, it wasn't current, but I did have it set to update automatically.

Anyway, we'll see how long it works correctly this time...

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
TW is Touch Wiz, the stock launcher on Samsung phones.

I've never used anything but the stock launcher, and I've been through the routine of removing saved city, location based, etc. Doesn't work for me.
Yeah... That "fix" was short lived. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why it works or doesn't.

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
It just kills me that my $45 refurbed Gear Fit handled this like a champ and my $300 S2 can't. It's enough to make me throw it against the wall.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the S2 3g and the weather is updating like normal. Initially, I set up the weather to show for a specific city, and it updated fine. Then, I deleted that city and just have it set to Auto based on location, and it's updating fine. Set to update every hour, and appears to be doing so. I did change my location settings to high, but I'm going to go back to Power Saving and see how that works.

A couple things to think about, if it's not working.
1) If you are using anything like Greenify, Shutapp, Doze, or something similar: Make sure that all Gear apps (Samsung Gear, Gear Plugin, svoiceprovider, Host Manager, Gear Module) are not included in the list of items to auto close.
2) If you are using auto location, try configuring just for a specific city, instead of using location services to update the weather location.
3) Weather updating likely only works correctly on Samsung phones, since it uses the built in weather service to TouchWiz (still works on Nova), and has nothing to do with any other Weather app installed on the phone. So, all configuration should be done in Gear Manager and/or the Weather Widget.

gscj5

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but just recently started having problems with my weather widget not updating. I have a 3G and everything is switched on, GPS, hourly update, Location, mobile networks...ect. The only thing that worked for me was to connect it to wifi and it updated in a blink! If I turn wifi off now it is updating, at least it is for now, I'll keep you informed if you would like.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I also had the weather-never-updating problem when I turned off wifi. It updates when I turn wifi on, but I don't need the wifi and the battery drain that comes with it. (Have the latest firmware, a bluetooth classic S2.)

vincehny

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Just received a new software update to the Samsung Gear app on my phone to version 2.217022862 which appears to fix this issue with the weather not updating on my watch. I have the Gear S2 classic WiFi version

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii