AT&T wouldn't sell it to me

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Went to an AT&T store and they had a S3 available for sale, but they refused to sell it to me unless I established two lines of service (a phone line plus a line for the watch) for a total cost of around $80/mo. I'm not currently a customer so I expected them to insist that I establish service with them- a line for the watch, but I was quite surprised when they said their system would not allow them to create a standalone line for the watch.

Any AT&T insiders here know if what they are saying is true or a line of crap?

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
That's not what I was told. They told me I could have my phone and the watch on the same line. I did ask about having two lines because as I understand it I would think having two lines (one for the phone and one for the watch) means you have to pay more money and I was assured that I wouldn't have to do that. We shall see what happens.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Went to an AT&T store and they had a S3 available for sale, but they refused to sell it to me unless I established two lines of service (a phone line plus a line for the watch) for a total cost of around $80/mo. I'm not currently a customer so I expected them to insist that I establish service with them- a line for the watch, but I was quite surprised when they said their system would not allow them to create a standalone line for the watch.

Any AT&T insiders here know if what they are saying is true or a line of crap?

I was told something similar last year when I went to buy an AT&T Gear S2 3G. In order for them to sell me the watch & bypass their system block, I had to buy an AT&T prepaid card at the same time. Then I was able to buy it without being an AT&T customer.

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
That's not what I was told. They told me I could have my phone and the watch on the same line. I did ask about having two lines because as I understand it I would think having two lines (one for the phone and one for the watch) means you have to pay more money and I was assured that I wouldn't have to do that. We shall see what happens.

The watch has to have it's on line of service if it's activated to function as a standalone watch. It has it's own phone number that they numbersync to make it appear to be your phone number when calling.

When I log in to my AT&T account now, it shows the S3 with the number that they activated on it.

Last edited:

forkee

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
i tried to preorder from att when it was first announced but had to agree to a new 2 year contract and add a plan to my existing account. also, to use their number sync with the watch, i would pay an additional service charge of 10/month. the chat rep said i would be able to "just pick any plan" to get the watch, then cancel it later. yea right.....i ain't falling for that.......

i ended up preordering from samsung for the lte version but have yet to see any updates on tracking or shipping. i preordered on the 9th.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
i tried to preorder from att when it was first announced but had to agree to a new 2 year contract and add a plan to my existing account. also, to use their number sync with the watch, i would pay an additional service charge of 10/month. the chat rep said i would be able to "just pick any plan" to get the watch, then cancel it later. yea right.....i ain't falling for that.......

i ended up preordering from samsung for the lte version but have yet to see any updates on tracking or shipping. i preordered on the 9th.

I didn't do the 2-year contract. I pre-ordered the Gear S3 Frontier outright and paid $349.99 so I wouldn't have to deal with a 2-year contract.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. So, to call the watch, you could dial the watch's designated phone number, or dial the phones number that is number synced to the watch.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
That's not what I was told. They told me I could have my phone and the watch on the same line.

It depends on how you asked the question. With NumberSync the watch/tablet takes on the phone number of the host device so messages and texts show sent and received from one number. But. Any device being used with NumberSync has to have its own live and paid for dedicated line.

AT&T isn't in the business to sell hardware. I don't blame the store for not selling the watch without wireless service. They are commissioned on "line" sales and have a monthly quota. So if they only got two Gear S3's they probably wouldn't want to sell one without a plan.

If you order a Gear S3 from AT&T for $349 (vs. $249 with a two year commitment) you still have to purchase service for it. The website won't accept an order without service and I'm guessing a store wouldn't either. You could cancel it after 30 days because you aren't committed but you'd still have to go through the process of establishing initial service.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T wouldn't sell it to me

When I grabbed my LG watch Urbane 2nd edition LTE from them, there were people having this same problem. I told them I was buying it as a gift for someone who was on AT&T and they went ahead and sold it to me without service. You can always try saying that. YMMV.

Last edited:

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
It depends on how you asked the question. With NumberSync the watch/tablet takes on the phone number of the host device so messages and texts show sent and received from one number. But. Any device being used with NumberSync has to have its own live and paid for dedicated line.

AT&T isn't in the business to sell hardware. I don't blame the store for not selling the watch without wireless service. They are commissioned on "line" sales and have a monthly quota. So if they only got two Gear S3's they probably wouldn't want to sell one without a plan.

If you order a Gear S3 from AT&T for $349 (vs. $249 with a two year commitment) you still have to purchase service for it. The website won't accept an order without service and I'm guessing a store wouldn't either. You could cancel it after 30 days because you aren't committed but you'd still have to go through the process of establishing initial service.

It depends on how I asked the question? I told them that I wanted my Samsung Galaxy S7 and the Gear S3 Frontier that I pre-ordered to have the same number. That way I can make and receive phone calls, send and receive text messages, and receive notifications on the Gear S3 Frontier. I don't have a tablet. I already have service with AT&T. My Samsung Galaxy S7 is on a line. They didn't sell me the watch. I walked in and told them that I wanted to pre-order the Gear S3 Frontier and the guy said ok. We sat and talked for a little bit and I gave him my debit card and he swiped it and then I signed my name on the machine and he gave me my receipt and I went on my way. I didn't want to do a 2-year contract and pay $249.99 so I paid $349.99 outright for the watch. Again...I have initial service. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to make and receive phone calls on the Samsung Galaxy S7.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If you order a Gear S3 from AT&T for $349 (vs. $249 with a two year commitment) you still have to purchase service for it. The website won't accept an order without service and I'm guessing a store wouldn't either.
I understand the prerequisite of needing to establish a line of service in order to buy a device. I don't understand needing to buy TWO lines of service of service in order to get one device.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I understand the prerequisite of needing to establish a line of service in order to buy a device. I don't understand needing to buy TWO lines of service of service in order to get one device.

I don't understand it either. I already have service with AT&T. I don't want to pay for a second line. I don't know why they just can't put my phone and the watch on one line. I'm sure a second line costs more money.

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand it either. I already have service with AT&T. I don't want to pay for a second line. I don't know why they just can't put my phone and the watch on one line. I'm sure a second line costs more money.

I understand what you're saying however it is my understanding that you will have to have another line of service for the watch, as it has to have its own line of service in order to function as a standalone phone.

If you purchase an additional phone you would have to add another line of service for the phone to work on LTE unless you switched sims between phones and since the watch doesn't use sim cards I don't see a way for it to be fully functional without adding a line of service.

For me personally, the $10 per month for the added functionality is worth it but each individual must make that decision for themselves.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I understand what you're saying however it is my understanding that you will have to have another line of service for the watch, as it has to have its own line of service in order to function as a standalone phone.

If you purchase an additional phone you would have to add another line of service for the phone to work on LTE unless you switched sims between phones and since the watch doesn't use sim cards I don't see a way for it to be fully functional without adding a line of service.

For me personally, the $10 per month for the added functionality is worth it but each individual must make that decision for themselves.

I paid the $10 for the added functionality. I guess I thought I would have to pay more money to add another line. Isn't that how it works? Some people have two lines, three lines, or four lines because they're a family. So the more lines you add the more money you have to pay right? I only have one line and that's my phone.

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I paid the $10 for the added functionality. I guess I thought I would have to pay more money to add another line. Isn't that how it works? Some people have two lines, three lines, or four lines because they're a family. So the more lines you add the more money you have to pay right? I only have one line and that's my phone.

The S3 LTE version requires its own line of service which AT&T charges $10 per month for line access. If you do not want to pay the $10 per month I would suggest purchasing the wifi version when it becomes available..

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
The S3 LTE version requires its own line of service which AT&T charges $10 per month for line access. If you do not want to pay the $10 per month I would suggest purchasing the wifi version when it becomes available..

It's too late. I already pre-ordered the Gear S3 Frontier LTE version. The LTE version is the one I want. I want to be able to make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages on the Gear S3 Frontier without having to have my phone with me.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I don't think that's what they're saying. They're saying they have been told they need two cellphone lines in order to add the S3, ie two cellphone numbers. That's not necessary. Now, the reps may be stating this "second line" terms unclearly, meaning the second line is going to be the S3. It may just be a simple misunderstanding of the what the reps are stating and what the end user is hearing.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I don't think that's what they're saying. They're saying they have been told they need two cellphone lines in order to add the S3, ie two cellphone numbers. That's not necessary. Now, the reps may be stating this "second line" terms unclearly, meaning the second line is going to be the S3. It may just be a simple misunderstanding of the what the reps are stating and what the end user is hearing.

I was told I could have my phone and the watch on the same line and that I didn't have to have two lines: one line for my phone and one line for the watch.

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think the confusion is with Numbersync which allows the watch and phone to "appear to be the same number" when calling or texting even though they are two different numbers. The watch MUST be issued its own number, which AT&T charges $10 per month, regardless of what any rep told you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer