GPS not as good after Official 2.1 update.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I watched the first video of someone installing the day before leaked official sprint 2.1 update. So I also got the leaked update and installed that night.

So far everything is perfect except for one thing - my GPS seems to be weaker when I am inside the house (yes, I have the settings to use wifi and/or mobile networks).

Before the 2.1 update, my GPS would update really easily and fairly fast. After the update, it seems to take forever and I can only seem to find the satilites(sp) in one area where before the update it could find the position anywhere in my house.

The same symptons apply when I am outside, but not as drastic a difference, but stll slower.

The good thing is that all the othere features and functions work correctly. Am I the only one? As it seems not many others have mentioned this problem.

Thanks!

bikedogrun

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
So far everything is perfect except for one thing - my GPS seems to be weaker when I am inside the house (yes, I have the settings to use wifi and/or mobile networks).

Before the 2.1 update, my GPS would update really easily and fairly fast. After the update, it seems to take forever and I can only seem to find the satilites(sp) in one area where before the update it could find the position anywhere in my house.

The good thing is that all the othere features and functions work correctly. Am I the only one? As it seems not many others have mentioned this problem.
I updated right away myself and all is well... no issues of any kind.

I do feel bad for all the folks having issues; especially those with the so-called CDMA bug but my Moment has been trouble-free on both 1.5 and now 2.1.

I've been wondering if there was simply a quality control issue with some of the chipsets (like CDMA radio & GPS) in the Moment, guess I just got lucky! ;)

/BD :cool:

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Question for you guys, if you are inside your house - do you get a better gps signal with wifi on or off?

BTW, until the upgrade I never never lost mobile data with a little "x" in the signal bars where I had to take the battery out to get it back. Although I like the new features like live speech to text, I think I really liked the fw1.5 better as it seemed slightly more stable - the silver lining though is that there are more apps in the market place for fw2.1 - so all is not that bad.

Just a newbie and still learning Android - Came from a Palm OS Garnet 755p, boy I miss my Sling and solid remote Desktop :-(

fatsack

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
My GPS puts me 1 street over while inside my house with wifi on or off.

my gps is very accurate..even showed my address at my house. but when i turn on google latitude it also puts me one street over. " but before it showed me in another country" so it's much better to me!!!

Last edited:

bikedogrun

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Deja Vu all over again... I know I replied earlier in the thread that everything since the 2.1 upgrade has been great - but sadly; that is no longer true.

We took a trip over the weekend and suddenly the GPS is taking forever (like 2 minutes) to find current location and half the time not even able to. We also had a Droid (also on 2.1) along and it had no problem immediately getting GPS links in all of the same exact locations.

Sad... been loving my Moment and 2.1 but this is a SERIOUS issue???

/BD

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats how mine reacts - at least 2 min to lock and sometimes not at all - not even close to my 3 cars - all different makes (Audi, Porsche, Nissan) with factory gps and one portable Garmin and one portable Freedom 2000 Keychain for my old Treo 755p that I have - my Samsung is by far the weakest of the gps's I currently own.

And yes I am very direction challanged, otherwise I probably wouldn't care. :-(

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The Moment's GPS (no matter which version of Android it's running on) seems finicky.... along with the USB drivers, and data transfer stability. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyway to fix it... My advice? Well, you'll find out June 4th. :p

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I hope you are not talking about the EVO, my nephew has a HD2 and that sucker is huge!!.

Its hard enough to come from a one handed Treo 755p to a Samsung Moment - but then go up in size again to the EVO? Ouch!

Oh well, hard to find the perfect phone - 4.0" screen would be nice :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87