Memory usage

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
For a while multitasking has really been pissing me off with this phone. My previous phone (HTC Desire Z; also had 512 MB of RAM) was much better with multitasking. The Strat just hasnt been cutting it. Ex: I open browser, load a webpage, leave browser and open maps, go back to browser and webpage must load again because the browser quit. Really annoying. One of the preinstalled apps is a task manager and using that I have discovered a few things. The memory usage is always pretty close to full. With no apps open, about 280 MB out of 380 MB is in use (100 MB free). One thing I noticed is that Facebook is a persistent memory hog. So say I open facebook, then go to browser, then go to maps. If I then check the task manager the browser was closed but facebook is still there and eating a sizeable chunk of memory. The way android is supposed to work, facebook should have been closed because it was the oldest used in the list.

Another thing I noticed is that the memory usage reported by the task manager app is inconsistent with that reported in the "manage applications" settings menu. There it reports 187 MB out of 330 MB in use (143 MB free).

What do you guys recommend as a good task manager? Note, I dont want a task killer. I just want to know what is eating all my RAM with no apps running. Is there something that will show me where that 280 MB in use is going? Thanks.

Last edited:

ShadowAlpha

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Curious if there's any apps or need for an app where you can specify space on sd card to be used for ram?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
According to the IAMA the FB for Android devs did on Reddit, the memory issue is known and they're trying to work it out. For some reason not only does it have a nasty mem leak, it also has a persistent connection to the internet making it nearly impossible for Android to shut it down.

For now I recommend Friend Caster free in the market. It works like the official app should have.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been totally impressed by the memory usage on mine. I was fearful of only having 512 mb after my OG Droid, but I've largely found those fears to be unwarranted. If I'm in something else that's not overly huge in terms of resources, stuff like the browser stays open just fine.

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been totally impressed by the memory usage on mine. I was fearful of only having 512 mb after my OG Droid, but I've largely found those fears to be unwarranted. If I'm in something else that's not overly huge in terms of resources, stuff like the browser stays open just fine.

Not to mention that the OG Droid had half the memory as the Stratosphere....

If it wasn't for that, the Droid 1 would be alot more capable. They really neutered that phone with only having that much RAM. Of course, they already got ICS booting and running on the OG...

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention that the OG Droid had half the memory as the Stratosphere....

If it wasn't for that, the Droid 1 would be alot more capable. They really neutered that phone with only having that much RAM. Of course, they already got ICS booting and running on the OG...

Indeed. Glad to hear the OG Droid still has enough in it to run ICS, even if its not terribly surprising. :)

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk