Apps/webpages refreshing constantly - Redmi Note 11

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,
I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 and I'm having trouble with webpages and apps refreshing every time I change between apps or web pages. For example, when I am on my browser on my phone and need to change to another app to look something up, when I change back to the browser, the page will reload and I will lose anything that I have typed on that page. This is extremely inconvenient because if I am, for example, logging into my account on a webpage and they send me an email with a code to log in, I have to open my email app to get the code and when I reopen my browser app, the webpage refreshes and I have to get a new code.
This happens when using basically any app also...changing between apps causes the apps to refresh and I lose my work often. Is there a way to fix this? I can't imagine that there is an issue with the memory because 4GB of RAM should be more than enough to accomplish simple tasks, is there a setting I'm missing on my phone or something? I did a complete factory reset and am still having this issue, the phone is only a few months old.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Many times, this is due to how the manufacturer tweaks the firmware. Chinese manufacturers tend to aggressively kill apps in the background in an effort to improve battery life. There might be a system setting that allows you to adjust this, but even if you turn off all of those kinds of "optimizations," the base level of app-killing might still be there.

I recently learned from the Android Bytes podcast why Chinese manufacturers tend to do this -- it has to do with the fact that they don't allow GMS (Google Mobile Services) on their phones (since Google is not allowed in China). Most apps rely on Google Play Services to provide a lot of APIs, including those that determine when the phone needs to wake. Since Chinese phones don't have Google Play Services, it's more of a wild west, where every app might have their own code to wake the phone. When things aren't coordinated by Google Play Services, this can lead to increased battery drain -- hence the firmware being coded to kill apps more aggressively in the background.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Many times, this is due to how the manufacturer tweaks the firmware. Chinese manufacturers tend to aggressively kill apps in the background in an effort to improve battery life. There might be a system setting that allows you to adjust this, but even if you turn off all of those kinds of "optimizations," the base level of app-killing might still be there.

I recently learned from the Android Bytes podcast why Chinese manufacturers tend to do this -- it has to do with the fact that they don't allow GMS (Google Mobile Services) on their phones (since Google is not allowed in China). Most apps rely on Google Play Services to provide a lot of APIs, including those that determine when the phone needs to wake. Since Chinese phones don't have Google Play Services, it's more of a wild west, where every app might have their own code to wake the phone. When things aren't coordinated by Google Play Services, this can lead to increased battery drain -- hence the firmware being coded to kill apps more aggressively in the background.
Interesting, probably why they get good battery Life

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, probably why they get good battery Life

Yeah, but the cost is unacceptable to me. I had a TCL Tab 8 for a little while (the one from Verizon), and that thing would kill Spotify in the background such that you couldn't listen to it unless it was in the foreground all the time. Listening to music in the background while you're doing other things is essential to any music app, in my opinion. I looked everywhere for a setting to allow it to work, and nothing helped. And this wasn't even a device intended for China -- it was definitely for the American market, but I think TCL just included this "feature" in their firmware since that's what they're used to.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, but the cost is unacceptable to me. I had a TCL Tab 8 for a little while (the one from Verizon), and that thing would kill Spotify in the background such that you couldn't listen to it unless it was in the foreground all the time. Listening to music in the background while you're doing other things is essential to any music app, in my opinion. I looked everywhere for a setting to allow it to work, and nothing helped. And this wasn't even a device intended for China -- it was definitely for the American market, but I think TCL just included this "feature" in their firmware since that's what they're used to.
One brand that comes to mind that balanced it well and great battery life was Huawei

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali