Z2, 4.4 KitKat and microSD

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok folks, here's the deal, and I would appreciate your help:

- I'm currently on Windows Phone because of Nokia. As you probably know, Nokia is now gone from the mobile business and I have absolutely no intention of buying anything whatsoever that Microsoft produces (specially after having a Surface die out of the blue in 6 months). So I've been eyeing for some time Sony's Android offerings. I was aiming for the Z1 Compact but when Sony finally removed the horrible anti-shatter films on the Z2, and so I decided I'd wait a bit more for the Z2 Compact (or a refreshment of the Z1C that addresses those issues, I'm fine with either).

- There are other reasons why I wanted to move to Android, one of which - and the most important reason perhaps - is the fact that all the 2014 Android flagships have microSD cards. On my Lumias I'm restricted to 32GB of non-expandable storage and the 930 keeps that tradition. 32GB is not enough for me. So having the possibility of expanding memory with a microSD card is a big plus for me.

- In the meantime, 4.4 KitKat came out. And I started to read complains about the changes to the microSD card functionalities etc.

I've read Jerry's article but I don't have a day-to-day experience with Android so I don't fully understand what changed with 4.4.

My question is:

Can I install apps directly to the microSD card instead of the phone storage on 4.4?

From Jerry's article I didn't really understand if I can but the app will have to be updated to be restricted to the folder it creates in the card; or if I can't at all now install apps on the microSD card.
I really want to move away from Windows Phone now that Nokia is gone and there's no viable alternative to it in that OS, but if 4.4 KitKat has indeed removed the ability to install apps directly to the microSD card thus avoiding to fill up the space in the internal storage, it's a big deal breaker.

So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

stere0xide

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Apps will still have access to the SD card given the app is properly coded by the developer for KitKat. Goggle is just clamping down on where programs can save data on an SD card. I forget the specific folder it's supposed to save to, but I'm assuming this is just to prevent the folder clutter that apps tend to create in your internal or external storage on older android versions.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Your phone can access the sd card for information and also to play your music ect.. They have removed the option to install apps to the sd card for some reason. I could do it on my note 2 but now I have upgraded I can't on my z2. In the real world it doesn't or won't cause you any problems u less you like to play and install massive games like gta ect.. Then you will eat up space.

Posted via Android Central App

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
My question is:

Can I install apps directly to the microSD card instead of the phone storage on 4.4?

From Jerry's article I didn't really understand if I can but the app will have to be updated to be restricted to the folder it creates in the card; or if I can't at all now install apps on the microSD card.
I really want to move away from Windows Phone now that Nokia is gone and there's no viable alternative to it in that OS, but if 4.4 KitKat has indeed removed the ability to install apps directly to the microSD card thus avoiding to fill up the space in the internal storage, it's a big deal breaker.

So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The direct answer is "No." You can move and install music, video, books, magazines and other types of media / data files to an SD card with stock 4.4 but applications have to be installed on the phones internal memory.

That is my understanding.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay, let me say this - it is a pain in the backside. But with a bit of thought you can use the sd card. If I plug my Z2 into a windows PC I can copy anything to the sd card. If I use my MacBook I can't do anything on the sd card.
Using the phone itself, I can't create directories on the sd card and I can't copy from the internal card to external BUT I can copy media to the external card from an external source such as drop box.

So, it is a right pain if you have movies, music etc and no pc basically.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Why would they make it like that if it wasn't like that before kitkat? It's something Apple would do to make life awkward.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your answers and for your help.

This is most most disappointing. I can't understand what on Earth possessed Google to remove such a feature, specially at the same time Microsoft introduced it on WP. I understand the security concerns that Jerry wrote about, but I'm sure Google could have found a better way around it.

As it is, I think I'll stay on Windows Phone for now. At least until either Google fixes this mess by bringing the feature back on Android 4.5 or 5 (or whatever they call their next major update), or Sony offers phones with at least 32GB (but preferably 64GB) of storage.
I'm a heavy gamer and I use a lot of apps. So 16GB is just not nearly enough. And I'm already assuming I'd be moving every piece of video and photo to the microSD.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, Google's arguments in favour are pretty weak.. IF an important app like online banking could be installed on sd card and IF they could be easily hacked then allowing any developer to write anywhere on the sd card is dangerous... It's bull****. Look, I'm happy with only letting my important apps be installed on the main memory. Why not give developers the option to choose? And why not give users/apps a warning when first copying or creating directories on the sd card? Instead of just making life miserable for everybody. It's not hard, one wonders sometimes why big companies can make such stupid decisions.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, Google's arguments in favour are pretty weak.. IF an important app like online banking could be installed on sd card and IF they could be easily hacked then allowing any developer to write anywhere on the sd card is dangerous... It's bull****. Look, I'm happy with only letting my important apps be installed on the main memory. Why not give developers the option to choose? And why not give users/apps a warning when first copying or creating directories on the sd card? Instead of just making life miserable for everybody. It's not hard, one wonders sometimes why big companies can make such stupid decisions.

Very well said indeed :)

omnia1

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Wanted to highlight that the 'File Commander' app that comes with the Z2 does allow you to create directories and copy files to any directory on the SD card. This is no longer possible to do with 3rd party file management apps.

It is true however that you cannot install apps on the SD card. Some apps however, do allow you to save data to their own directories on the SD card.

Martin Ince

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have just got the Z2 tablet and it is sending me round the twist! Please, is there a simple guide to how you go about setting up file structure, and especially for moving folders and files, etc, in File Commander? All my efforts (highlight, drag and drop, you can imagine...) have been a failure, and I am a highly experienced user of these devices. Anything helpful appreciated (even a formal user guide). Thank you in anticipation.

jcarsten1

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
@omnia1: No you are wrong. I bought my Z2 with Android 4.4.2 a week ago and it is not possible to do anything you say in File Commander. You get an error message when trying to copy files to the Sd card. So very, very frustrating! GOOGLE SUCKS!

fmcgirt

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
For Mac users, take a look at Android File Transfer. I can copy music, photos and videos to the SD card on my Z2. In fact that is how I maintain the same Event folders that I have on iPhoto or Albums on iTunes. Works fine with 4.4.2 on AT&T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy