Any Apps that are 'must have' to you?

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hiya. Although I have had this phone for about two weeks now. I have rooted it.. Messed it up .. Restored it .. Rooted again.. Learning what makes it tick..
App-wise other than emulators:cool: I have not tried anything (besides titanium backup)..I would like to know are there any apps (paid or not) that you will consider 'Must Have'??

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
App Brain

I really can't think of any others that don't have equally viable alternatives (eg. Touch Wiz is good enough though I've gone with Launcher Pro).

Oh I take it back - Google Voice is also a must have. Most of the Google apps are nice to have.

Just don't download Hypnotoad -it's a piece of cra- ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Reactions: Since9600

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think any of my apps are MUST HAVES, but I certainly have my favorites.

Pandora is a must have for me when I forget to charge my iPod- I listen to music on the way to and from school, and walking around campus.
Beautiful Widgets isn't a must have, but any sort of weather widget is. That's just the one I prefer. I use it a lot in the mornings to figure out how to dress for the day.
Gentle Alarm, or any type of alarm, is a must have. I know android phones come with stock and those work for some people. The stock alarm works for me in some situations (I love the stopwatch and timer built in to the stock one, comes in handy). But I love the fact that Gentle Alarm is one of the apps that has a fade in alarm. It never startles me in the morning, and I feel like I wake up more refreshed because of it.
Quick App Clean Cache is a definite must for me. It works for both rooted and unrooted phones, but with a rooted phone you can clean all apps with one click. Otherwise, it lists all of the apps with cache and you can clear them one by one.
Launcher Pro Plus is a must have for me personally. Mainly because I love the Widgets that come with Launcher Pro when you pay the $3 donation and because I don't like the stock one all that much.
Root Explorer and ROM Manager are must haves if you're rooted. Root Explorer allows you to remove/rename files and ROM Manager is for, of course, ROMs.
ClockworkMod Recovery and Titanium Backup are must haves if you want to back up your apps (Titanium)/data and your current ROM in case something goes wrong (Clockwork).
Google Navigation is a must for obvious reasons.

That's really it. Anything else I have is to make my life easier/is just for fun. :)

Tibwolf

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Assuming you are rooted;

SetCPU - overclock and underclock (look for it in the XDA G1 forums)
Spare Parts - see detailed battery use and what apps are using the most of your resources
AppBrain - Keeps a list of all your apps so when you change ROMs or wipe your data you can get your apps back easily. Also, installing apps from your computer
Notification Notes - Lets you keep notes in the pulldown notification bar
Barcode Scanner - Another way to easily install apps
SoundHound - identifies songs playing, I use this a lot

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

This sounds like something I might like.. I have tried the 'sticky notes' type but hate to clutter up the wallpaper so removed.. There are soo many apps out there that without asking I would prob have never heard or tried this one...

Quick App Clean Cache is a definite must for me. It works for both rooted and unrooted phones, but with a rooted phone you can clean all apps with one click. Otherwise, it lists all of the apps with cache and you can clear them one by one.

Question, does this remove cache that would not otherwise be deleted anyway? Does it increase say the app speed or something with the cache cleared?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
1. Vlingo: Handsfree use of your phone while driving.
2. LauncherPro Plus/BeautifulWidgets/LPicons/HomeSwitcher(customizing your phone, dont need root)
3. DoubleTwist/Pandora(for music)
4. AppBrain(A more managable APP market)
5. Handcent SMS(customize SMS)

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
1. K9 Mail: best on android - period.
2. Launcher Pro: best launcher
3. Dictionary Customizer: you can add your own words so the auto-correct will recognize it and not replace it.
4. You Version Bible: best Bible app ever made!
5. xScope: fastest browser and free (version 5)
6. gStrings: free guitar tuner with mic pickup for auto tune
7. AK Notepad: best notepad that can export to .txt file and send to yourself or others. other notepads just suck.
8. Uninstaller: you need one

Reactions: Since9600

KC2UUZ

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to say, besides all the google apps, App Brain, TideApp (I'm a professional Captain) barcode scanner, and Audible for audio books.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Assuming you are rooted;
SoundHound - identifies songs playing, I use this a lot

Going to check these two apps. Thanks!

Question, does this remove cache that would not otherwise be deleted anyway? Does it increase say the app speed or something with the cache cleared?
From what I understand, you have to manually clear your cache if you want it cleared. Quick App Clean Cache just makes it really easy for you.

DarkS3ct0r

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
RockPlayer - Best video player IMO. Plays just about ANY video format.
ShopSavvy - Scans barcodes for better pricing options
Tapatalk Pro - So you can view this website on the go all organized.
Swarm - If your into torrents and stuff, you can download stuff straight to your phone from a torrent file.
Quick Boot - Allows one click access to rebooting your phone and putting it into recovery and bootloader mode. Must be rooted for it to work.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Some of my favorites:
AdFree - blocks ads in apps like Angry Birds (root required)
KeePassDroid - stores all your passwords and encrypts them, can use with desktop client
Quick Settings - lets you toggle all your system settings without taking up home screen space with widgets
Roam Control - use Verizon's network at will
SDX Stock App Remover - take out all that bloatware (root required)
Tapatalk - forum viewer, makes reading forums (like this one!) much easier
VLC Remote - control video playback on your computer from your phone

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah Hancent SMS
5. Handcent SMS(customize SMS)
I think I will try this.. I just looked at the webpage and it has the striped look that I had on my other phone and the ability to change the font is a real plus..

1. K9 Mail: best on android - period.
2. Launcher Pro: best launcher
100% AGREE, I have researched email prog to email prog and they all lacked what I wanted... I just wish it had the option to 'compress' the page like how it all fit on my BB screen.. I don't mind scrolling up/down but do not want to scroll sideways in an email...

From what I understand, you have to manually clear your cache if you want it cleared. Quick App Clean Cache just makes it really easy for you.
Ah ok cool got it. I really would have never thought about clearing app cache to be honest...

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Some of my favorites:
AdFree - blocks ads in apps like Angry Birds (root required)
SDX Stock App Remover - take out all that bloatware (root required)
VLC Remote - control video playback on your computer from your phone

Adfree seems to be a prog to replace/edit a hosts file. This is what I have always done on all of my personal machines and then I let OpenDNS block what I didn't (wish there was a mobile way to use Open DNS other than my wifi router)... Good to see I can do this on Android as well!!
SDX came installed when I rooted and it is one hell of a dangerous fun app... I was constantly backing up/removing/crashing/replacing lol...
Does VLC Remote work with any PC media prog like media center?

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
ok cool got it. I really would have never thought about clearing app cache to be honest...

Me neither. But I had tons of Droids break on me and one of the 50 million times I was in there with a broken phone (each time the Verizon rep trying to blame the broken phone on me, but would always admit it was a hardware malfunction and NOT my fault) they suggested that I clear cache every once in awhile to prevent lockups. Been doing it ever since.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to have any button wake up my phone? Having to just press the power button to wake up my phone had gotta be on my top 5 annoyances...

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Barcode scanner/Saavy Shopper
Google Voice
Handcent
Launcher Pro +
Google Shopper
Wikitude
Layar
Meridian
Pandora
MVideo Player
Google Listen
Doggcatcher: Podcast catcher
Oi Shopper
Connect Bot-Terminal emulator
Out of Milk- Shopping list
Convert pad
Smart measure
Google goggles
Gtasks
Google translate
Talk to Me
Quadrant
Ringdroid- Ringtone
Mp3 downloader-
Games:
Angry birds
Moron Test
Blow-up
Fruit Ninja
Kids Paint
The Swartz- Star Wars like light sabers with sound effects
Talking Tom: a lot like iPhones talking Karl

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Does VLC Remote work with any PC media prog like media center?

No, VLC is a video program and this remote lets you control it. Not sure if there is a Windows version - it's the best player I've ever used on OSX though (free and open source too!).

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Radar Now is a great app to have
Backbreaker football is fun
The gameloft games are fun and stunning looking
Raging thunder 2 is pretty good
Tiny flashlight app handy
Quake 2 droid is cool

Those are some to name a few.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics