VVM Issue and losing 3G

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
hello everyone. i'm new to android and of course these forums. i got the samsung epic a few days ago (i'm still in my 30 return window if anything). since i got it i've been losing the 3G every now and then. when i tried downloading apps from the market i kept getting a network connection error even though all my reception bars were full. finally got all my apps downloaded when i came home and connected the phone to my wireless router and used the wifi connection. then i received a mandatory update to the vvm and when i tried to download it i kept getting an error stating that the update couldn't happen then a button to retry to download it. i left it alone and it finally download but then i had an issue with the vvm. it keeps saying that the activation email will be sent when data becomes available. after a while I was finally able to get the vvm to work and install so all is well there. but does anyone have any ideas as to the losing 3G? I've had to either turn off the phone and turn it back on or do the profile/prl update to get the 3G to come back (sprint told me to do this). When the 3G disappears i get "no network connection" errors or that i dont have internet access. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If this has happened since the day you got it in complete untouched stock form I would either say you have a spotty signal coverage in your area. But you claim you have had full bars when this has happened so it is almost looking like a possible hardware (3g/4g radio) issue.

Seems like Sprint's favorite response to anything concerning signal coverage is to update the prl/profile. Doesn't ever seem to solve the problem.

If anyone else has any ideas, speak up. Otherwise I would say take it back to Sprint and tell them you want a NEW phone like the one you have not a darn refurb being that your phone is a few days old and deserve a brand new (not a refurished) replacement. I can understand the refurbs after time goes by but your basically out of the box new and had problems since first boot so you should be treated accordingly on a new factory replacement.

oron50

May 12, 2010
Visit site
1st-I'd make sure you are not in"Automatic"mode but in Sprint Only mode.

If that doesn't change problem, I'd really recommend a hard reset. Make sure you have everything important to you backed up. That may be a hassle, but it would answer if just a corrupt file, our an actual problem with your phone radio.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@oron, yes good suggestions. If what he recommended doesn't fly then I would say there is a chance at a faulty radio.

BTW, the automatic setting he is speaking about can be found.

Settings>Wireless and Networks>Mobile networks>System select

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
under those settings i only have these two options: data roaming (and the option to check the box or not) and data roaming guard