Text Messages Not Sending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feoysolo

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So for the last couple of weeks I have been having the following problem:

Every couple of days, sometimes several times a day, my phone will refuse to send text messages. Not "Failed to send" but it just sits there saying "Sending" for every text message I try to send. I have to delete all of the "Sending" messages and reboot the phone before I can start sending text messages again. Infuriating!

When it started I was on the stock Sprint Froyo rom, and have since rooted and installed the latest Bonsai rom but it didn't make the problem go away, so I am fairly certain this is not a software issue.

Any ideas?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Every couple of days, sometimes several times a day, my phone will refuse to send text messages. Not "Failed to send" but it just sits there saying "Sending" for every text message I try to send. I have to delete all of the "Sending" messages and reboot the phone before I can start sending text messages again. Infuriating!

When it started I was on the stock Sprint Froyo rom, and have since rooted and installed the latest Bonsai rom but it didn't make the problem go away, so I am fairly certain this is not a software issue.

Any ideas?
I actually think this is a Froyo in general bug. Started back on EB13, moved to EC05 and hasn't gone away.. It doesn't affect everyone so it hasn't been discussed much.

I wish I knew of a solution at this time :(

Reactions: feoysolo

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
i get that occasionally also. i think it has something to do with signal loss. i get this most often when on 3G or roaming. it could be weak signal or signal transfer from tower to tower.

jmartinbsu

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site

Any ideas?
One known issue is if you use the task manager built into the phone's OS (Hold down the Home button and hit Task manager) and clear out Level 1 and/or Level 2 Ram under the "ram manager" tab... If you do this I believe one of the services needed to send a txt doesn't start back up. Either way, you will not be able to send a txt. No fix exists yet that I am aware of .....

Restart the phone and it will work fine.

feoysolo

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
One known issue is if you use the task manager built into the phone's OS (Hold down the Home button and hit Task manager) and clear out Level 1 and/or Level 2 Ram under the "ram manager" tab... If you do this I believe one of the services needed to send a txt doesn't start back up. Either way, you will not be able to send a txt. No fix exists yet that I am aware of .....

Restart the phone and it will work fine.

Oh my freaking god, that is probably it! I have been doing that lately. Though I was thinking as someone else suggested that signal strength might be an issue as mine is weak both at work and at home.

Spent half an hour on the phone with Sprint while they tried sending my phone all kinds of stuff.

Just tested that and sure enough clearing out the ram killed my ability to text, and a reboot seems to have fixed it!

Thanks so much! I will report back if something changes.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh my freaking god, that is probably it! I have been doing that lately. Though I was thinking as someone else suggested that signal strength might be an issue as mine is weak both at work and at home.

Spent half an hour on the phone with Sprint while they tried sending my phone all kinds of stuff.

Just tested that and sure enough clearing out the ram killed my ability to text, and a reboot seems to have fixed it!

Thanks so much! I will report back if something changes.

Yeah, I was doing the exact same thing but a few months ago. I would always clear ram doing all the levels. I would get texts messages stuck in "sending" and I would get LIVID!! Someone here told me if I used the ram clearing that that is what would most likely be causing it and sure enough it was! Since i've stopped clearing ram, I have not had any messages get stuck in "sending". You have your occasional long paused sending but it always goes through and doesn't get stuck. So.....STOP CLEARING RAM!!! lol Enjoy!

ThunderOKC

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem sometime and when it does happen, I just do a simple phone reboot and it sends out all the texts. Always check to see if the text was sent before exiting out.

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that bugs me about the stuck in "sending" mode is the fact that if you don't notice that it hasn't gone through, your phone get hot dies super quick cause it really is trying to send it out. I've had this happen more than...a lot...but don't clear out the texts before rebooting it. If you reboot it without deleting them, when the device starts back up it should send out the text as soon as it retrieves a signal. Can't wait for 2.3.3 and get rid of this crap froyo bull crap crappity crap.

Glad to find out about the lvl 2 clearing ram having something to do with it though. I'll stop using that right...now.

crystalred

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I get the same problem on my galaxy s on verizon. I think its a Samsung issue tbh.
I agree. I actually just got this phone (Samsung Galaxy S) as a replacement for my last one (same) through TMobile. I had constant problems with that one, freezing up, sucking the battery (I would just watch the battery go down!) and the phone turning itself off for no reason. THIS replacement, though, is failing TXT msgs! It's not always the same person - and not necessarily with a graphic, icon, emoticon, etc, some long msgs, some short, and some right after I had texts going through - the 3rd or 4th one will fail! This is my new replacement??? I never had THAT problem on my last p.o.s.! I wouldn't know how to clear out RAM, so I know that's not that particular problem. So, again, I feel it IS a Samsung issue, so I think an upgrade is in order. Any suggestions on what to upgrade to? (I still think Androids, tho, are the best.) Thoughts?

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I get this occasionally. I usually go back and clear off some old text messages and it starts working again. I am always afraid to delete the messages with attachments for some reason - data hoarder. But, i recently just cleared all the messages and the world didn't end or anything. Maybe you don't have 3k messages from your wife like I do. But that was my problem.

ASHWATHI

May 5, 2013
Visit site
hiii...for the last 2-3 days i m not able to send text messags from my samsung galaxy y...it says "Failed to send " for every message i send...any ideas ???

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
hiii...for the last 2-3 days i m not able to send text messags from my samsung galaxy y...it says "Failed to send " for every message i send...any ideas ???

Galaxy Y ? You're in the wrong place. This is specifically for the Galaxy S (Sprint Epic 4g [with keyboard] varient). The Galaxy Y from what I can find out, is a rather low end international version. You may want to check with your current carrier about your messages not sending. The issues we had were mostly cleared up by the Gingerbread updates a while back.

s3v3n_l34f_kl0v3r

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue.... I checked my "storage" in the task manager and realized I was COMPLETELY out of storage space. I deleted some pictures, and cleared out all my old texts, and the device is working properly again.

I will never stop clearing my ram. There is a reason that option is even available: sometimes the apps that you download are created by cut-rate coders who don't know to to utilize the Android API and actually end the program when the user wants to. Most of the time i notice that program just gets 'popped' off the stack, but is never terminated.

-s3v3n.l34f.kl0v3r

s3v3n_l34f_kl0v3r

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was doing the exact same thing but a few months ago. I would always clear ram doing all the levels. I would get texts messages stuck in "sending" and I would get LIVID!! Someone here told me if I used the ram clearing that that is what would most likely be causing it and sure enough it was! Since i've stopped clearing ram, I have not had any messages get stuck in "sending". You have your occasional long paused sending but it always goes through and doesn't get stuck. So.....STOP CLEARING RAM!!! lol Enjoy!

Who is this "someone" you speak of? Are you sure you didn't introduce another variable that may have solved the problem unknowingly? If you are going to give support help, you should provide a little more insight than "someone" told you to do it. . .

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Who is this "someone" you speak of? Are you sure you didn't introduce another variable that may have solved the problem unknowingly? If you are going to give support help, you should provide a little more insight than "someone" told you to do it. . .

2 posts and a user name that a child would think of......no, you don't deserve an answer!

PS: My post was written 2 years ago! I have since moved on and gotten a better phone with better OS! :cool:

paw demonika

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I use Xperia. And I used HTC before this. This problem is not because of network. It's not due to less space. And I dont know what clearing ram means so I dont do it either. But it's so annoying.
Text msgs are stuck on sending. They do get sent when I restart the phone but then go back to beings stuck a few hours later. I need a permanent solution. Can anyone help me out?

TraceyBlu

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Please can you advise. I have a Sony Ericsson Xeperia Arc S. I cannot send messeges for some reason:-\. This little yellow box comes back to me with Messege not sent indecated. I have re-set internet settings. Changed the Network search thing incase Virgin was out of signal. Taken the battery out, now Im going a little crazy. Please someone HELP :-(

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Please can you advise. I have a Sony Ericsson Xeperia Arc S. I cannot send messeges for some reason:-\. This little yellow box comes back to me with Messege not sent indecated. I have re-set internet settings. Changed the Network search thing incase Virgin was out of signal. Taken the battery out, now Im going a little crazy. Please someone HELP :-(

Wow, bringing back a thread that's been idle for nearly a year, in a forum for a phone that you don't have, which has an OS that is newer than what this forums phone ever had. Check with your carrier, physically go to a different location in case it's an issue with the tower you're near, delete some programs from your phone if you're low on storage space.
Either way, you'll get more detailed directions, be with people familiar with your phone model, or even see if it's a known issue if you head on over to the forum area for your Xperia Arc S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001