RCS issues with Google Messages.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
q1````q
I have seen that but didn't take that as Samsung is abandoning their own messaging app
To me, it says "you can use Samsung messages if you really insist, but you REALLY should use Google." Pushing users toward a different service isn't exactly the mark of a company that has long term interest in their product.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The samsung messaging app on my unlocked 24 ultra has RCS messaging, I'm in the UK though, so is this different in the US? The only thing it doesn't have is the iPhone reactions, it would be good if samsung integrated it into the messaging app though.
Only carrier version have RCS in the US and their own version, the Unlock US don't .

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
One advantage of leaving it off is reliability. Many people have had issues with RCS, so if it's turned off you can be a little more confident that your message actually left your phone.
Yep reliability is King when it comes to phone calls and texts on a phone 😉 I wasn't getting some very important texts until I turned RCS off 😯

I haven't completely given up on RCS, but I don't have the confidence as of now that it'll get all my messages to me.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Wow so the carriers over there still hold the monopoly on these services.
Not necessarily, at least not at this point.

This is why Google implemented its own RCS, to bypass the carriers that were dragging their feet.

Although I think, had it been left to the timing of the carriers, they would have figured out a way to charge for these features. Thankfully, Google came straight with it and offered everything in a free app.

Reactions: J Dubbs

DMBMARKT

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an S24, but this looks like a good thread to ask this question in. I have an S22 Ultra and I am in the Messages Beta. For the past week or two I've run into an issue where when I get a message that includes a picture via RCS the picture is not showing up. No issue receiving pictures through MMS, but when it's RCS there's a white box where the picture should be, but that's it. Big open block the size of a picture. I can even long press on the big open box and I can see the outline of the box and I have an option to save the picture to my device. I tried that to see if I did that a picture would show up in my pictures, but it didn't. So basically RCS pictures aren't coming in, but they are going out. I haven't run into another user that has had this problem, but I'm wondering if any of you have seen this. Specifically if you're in the Beta. My RCS friends aren't in the Beta and have zero issue.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't have an S24, but this looks like a good thread to ask this question in. I have an S22 Ultra and I am in the Messages Beta. For the past week or two I've run into an issue where when I get a message that includes a picture via RCS the picture is not showing up. No issue receiving pictures through MMS, but when it's RCS there's a white box where the picture should be, but that's it. Big open block the size of a picture. I can even long press on the big open box and I can see the outline of the box and I have an option to save the picture to my device. I tried that to see if I did that a picture would show up in my pictures, but it didn't. So basically RCS pictures aren't coming in, but they are going out. I haven't run into another user that has had this problem, but I'm wondering if any of you have seen this. Specifically if you're in the Beta. My RCS friends aren't in the Beta and have zero issue.
You're in the beta? If so you should be providing feedback to Google about. That's why we have beta's.

DMBMARKT

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you do it thru messages app? It's under help and feedback no email involved.
I did do that. Of course no response. I guess my hope is to let people know that this may be coming your way. Also, if anyone else has run into this issue let me know. Hopefully they figure this out. I turned off RCS for now until they rectify the issue.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I did do that. Of course no response. I guess my hope is to let people know that this may be coming your way. Also, if anyone else has run into this issue let me know. Hopefully they figure this out. I turned off RCS for now until they rectify the issue.
That's because they don't always respond to them. Nor the manpower to do so. You can check the issue tracker page if you want to see if it's a common problem.
d892a444bae35b9d568a9f571ad138ee.jpg

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Wow so the carriers over there still hold the monopoly on these services.
Not entirely. I have the S24 Ultra unlocked on Verizon and RCS works fine using Google Messages (I'm also in the beta program). It also worked fine on my old S22 Ultra and Note 10+ (both Verizon locked models).

Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T were working together to provide cross carrier RCS support, but then dropped the effort after Google bypassed them and allowed Google Messages users to access Google Messages RCS servers.

Now that Google Messages is the default texting app on Samsung devices, it is pretty much moot.

Reactions: Del1701

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Suggest new stickers and then you might hear from them. Seems like they are more concerned with New stickers then anything.

Their last update makes it so on the fold 5 the message side jiggles while typing. I uninstall the update the jiggles goes away but then I can't use Google messages on my watch 6, says to install Google messages on my phone.

We can only hope when they get dinnery designing a new sticker they will put a fix out for this stuff. That's why I suggest to send them a new sticker design, if the Google geeks like it there might be a update to fix sooner.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I’ve had my S24 Ultra now for a few days and have run into a Google Messages issue today. I was trying to text my wife, who is also an android user. I texted her this morning, and received no response. When I went in to text her again, the message I previously sent was nowhere to be found. I sent her another text. Swiped out of messages. Went back into messages and, once again, the message I sent was gone. I typed another message and hit send. I noticed it looked different. No check marks showing it’s been sent, just a little lock symbol. As soon as a close out the message to my wife, my text disappears. I went in and turned off RCS chat. Went back to text my wife, and now it sends as sms. Went back to settings and turned on RCS. Tried to text my wife again, and same problem as before. Anyone else having this problem? I’ve cleaned cache in app, with no change. Appreciate your help.
Did you clear app data? Force stop the app, and clear app data. Restart the app and enable chat. Don't worry, you won't lose previous texts. They are on the server. I had to do this a couple of times.

P.S. Is your phone rooted?

Last edited:
Reactions: BEaRebel

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Not entirely. I have the S24 Ultra unlocked on Verizon and RCS works fine using Google Messages (I'm also in the beta program). It also worked fine on my old S22 Ultra and Note 10+ (both Verizon locked models).

Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T were working together to provide cross carrier RCS support, but then dropped the effort after Google bypassed them and allowed Google Messages users to access Google Messages RCS servers.

Now that Google Messages is the default texting app on Samsung devices, it is pretty much moot.
To be fair the carriers have been dragging their feet on the RCS, then Google introduced Google messages. If I was Google I would have also, iMessage was killing android in the texting arena. IMO iMessage is still killing android for one reason...All iPhone users are using iMessage, android has way to many texting apps. Like it or not, until Google forces RCS on all texting apps it'll stay that way.. At least that's my opinion

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
To be fair the carriers have been dragging their feet on the RCS, then Google introduced Google messages. If I was Google I would have also, iMessage was killing android in the texting arena. IMO iMessage is still killing android for one reason...All iPhone users are using iMessage, android has way to many texting apps. Like it or not, until Google forces RCS on all texting apps it'll stay that way.. At least that's my opinion
Yes and sorta. Yes, the major US carriers are dragging their feet with cross carrier RCS support. Sorta, when it comes to intra-carrier RCS support. To get RCS chat messaging without using Google Messages, you have to use the carriers' texting app (like Verizon Messages+). But, like you said, it doesn't support cross carrier RCS messaging.

That was why Google said, "F*** it! We are bypassing the carriers and standing up our own RCS chat servers."

Like it or not, Google can't force the carriers to support cross carrier RCS messaging. Just like it can't force Apple to adopt RCS support. It can only encourage the carriers (and Apple) to adopt cross carrier RCS. And it can bypass them entirely (which it did). Honestly, it would be cheaper for the carriers to let Google, Apple, Telegram, Signal, or WhatsApp handle text messaging and fight it out amongst themselves.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes and sorta. Yes, the major US carriers are dragging their feet with cross carrier RCS support. Sorta, when it comes to intra-carrier RCS support. To get RCS chat messaging without using Google Messages, you have to use the carriers' texting app (like Verizon Messages+). But, like you said, it doesn't support cross carrier RCS messaging.

That was why Google said, "F*** it! We are bypassing the carriers and standing up our own RCS chat servers."

Like it or not, Google can't force the carriers to support cross carrier RCS messaging. Just like it can't force Apple to adopt RCS support. It can only encourage the carriers (and Apple) to adopt cross carrier RCS. And it can bypass them entirely (which it did). Honestly, it would be cheaper for the carriers to let Google, Apple, Telegram, Signal, or WhatsApp handle text messaging and fight it out amongst themselves.
I think the carriers might eventually do just that.. Who knows, but they would be smart to do so

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000