RCS issues with Google Messages.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
In a way, I think they have. I think they are only maintaining texting services for legacy users, government, fire rescue, and law enforcement.

The carriers have always tried to erect walled gardens to avoid becoming dumb data pipes. They've always played games with account provisioning as new services and capabilities got rolled out over the years and tried to discourage and disadvantage unlocked devices (and still do), but have been increasingly disintermediated by Apple and Google.

Remember, every one of these wireless companies grew out of a legacy landline telco. Stifling innovation and competition is in their DNA. My favorite example of this, that still makes me laugh to this day, was when Verizon Wireless blocked a feature on the Motorola V710. It was one of the first camera phones, with a single 1.2MP camera. They prevented users from transferring their pictures off of the phone, forcing them to use some silly VZW application/portal and charging for it! As you can imagine, users weren't happy and it became a minor controversy. There was a cringe-worthy interview with a VZW executive who smugly stated that it wasn't in VZW's business model to allow its customers to access their own photos for free. They blocked Bluetooth on several of their phones as well.

As it relates to RCS, remember that Apple has committed to supporting RCS this year. The "green bubble" issue will still exist, but there should be better interoperability between carriers and Android and iPhone users when it gets implemented. My son and I are on Android, my wife and the rest of my family have iPhones. Any video they share with us is useless compressed garbage.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The carriers have always tried to erect walled gardens to avoid becoming dumb data pipes. They've always played games with account provisioning as new services and capabilities got rolled out over the years and tried to discourage and disadvantage unlocked devices (and still do), but have been increasingly disintermediated by Apple and Google.

Remember, every one of these wireless companies grew out of a legacy landline telco. Stifling innovation and competition is in their DNA. My favorite example of this, that still makes me laugh to this day, was when Verizon Wireless blocked a feature on the Motorola V710. It was one of the first camera phones, with a single 1.2MP camera. They prevented users from transferring their pictures off of the phone, forcing them to use some silly VZW application/portal and charging for it! As you can imagine, users weren't happy and it became a minor controversy. There was a cringe-worthy interview with a VZW executive who smugly stated that it wasn't in VZW's business model to allow its customers to access their own photos for free. They blocked Bluetooth on several of their phones as well.

As it relates to RCS, remember that Apple has committed to supporting RCS this year. The "green bubble" issue will still exist, but there should be better interoperability between carriers and Android and iPhone users when it gets implemented. My son and I are on Android, my wife and the rest of my family have iPhones. Any video they share with us is useless compressed garbage.

Well said.

Have you heard anything about when apple will support RCS. I'm guessing when iPhone 16 rolls out, but sooner would be better. As far as the green bubble battle, I don't care what color the bubble is, why would we. That's something apple wants to make a big deal out of for some reason.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site

Insert eye roll here. If it wasn't for those big bad carriers, where would you be? They've spent billions of dollars building out their networks. They should be allowed to profit from it.

As for Apple coming to save the day. Pfft! Apple hasn't come up with anything new in over a decade. That just take someone else's ideas and shine them up and make like it was them all along.

Well said.

Have you heard anything about when apple will support RCS. I'm guessing when iPhone 16 rolls out, but sooner would be better. As far as the green bubble battle, I don't care what color the bubble is, why would we. That's something apple wants to make a big deal out of for some reason.
Apple never really gave a timeline. It just said that it would support it in 2024, it never said it would incorporate it into iMessage.

"It’s still not clear exactly how RCS messaging will work on iPhones, but 9to5Mac says “this is not Apple opening up iMessage to other platforms” (emphasis theirs). RCS will instead replace SMS and MMS and “exist separately from iMessage when available.”"

The only reason why Apple said anything, is because it knows that if it doesn't do or say something, it's going to get kicked in the crank.

It is all show to make teenagers feel a little better.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
To be fair the carriers have been dragging their feet on the RCS, then Google introduced Google messages. If I was Google I would have also, iMessage was killing android in the texting arena. IMO iMessage is still killing android for one reason...All iPhone users are using iMessage, android has way to many texting apps. Like it or not, until Google forces RCS on all texting apps it'll stay that way.. At least that's my opinion
It will probably happen some point this Year that Google RCS will be over carrier version especially on Samsung device.

If you have. Carrier version Samsung it will be Google messages version Att Power by Google or whatever carrier your on and the unlock has Google jibe which is Google's RCS message

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Insert eye roll here. If it wasn't for those big bad carriers, where would you be? They've spent billions of dollars building out their networks. They should be allowed to profit from it.

As for Apple coming to save the day. Pfft! Apple hasn't come up with anything new in over a decade. That just take someone else's ideas and shine them up and make like it was them all along.
Save your eyeroll.

If there's any industry that deserves to be left in the dust due to its anti-competitive practices, it's the US wireless industry. There's a reason that the US is years behind Europe and Asia when it comes to cellular technology and network speed and coverage - and that reason is Verizon and AT&T and the legacy businesses they grew out of. They've tried to stifle every mobile tech advance of the last 25 years - it's what they do.

I'm no fan of Apple. Can't stand the company and refuse to use any of its products. But It's comical denigrating Apple for a lack of innovation while sticking up for the wireless carriers. If Apple implements RCS, then I'm all for it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Save your eyeroll.

If there's any industry that deserves to be left in the dust due to its anti-competitive practices, it's the US wireless industry. There's a reason that the US is years behind Europe and Asia when it comes to cellular technology and network speed and coverage - and that reason is Verizon and AT&T and the legacy businesses they grew out of. They've tried to stifle every mobile tech advance of the last 25 years - it's what they do.

I'm no fan of Apple. Can't stand the company and refuse to use any of its products. But It's comical denigrating Apple for a lack of innovation while sticking up for the wireless carriers. If Apple implements RCS, then I'm all for it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

He's not wrong. The US carriers have been doing just that for years. At the current moment it's data, that's there cash cow. They first started with minutes, limited minutes, charge per minute over, nights and weekends, mobile to Mobile minutes. Then texting came along, paying per text, limited texting plans, think they did mobile to Mobile texting. After texting came, they started with the unlimited minutes as texting was the new cash cow. Fast forward to data... We all know about that cash cow, and then texting and minutes are all unlimited now, with no
limitations. I know data is unlimited by using the word unlimited, but as carriers are good at, that unlimited has limitations for data. Point is carriers have indeed stifled the industry thru the years. Yes they are in business to make money, but do it with reason.

As for the carriers slowing down RCS, they did. All the carriers agreed to do RCS across the industry. Instead just kept pushing it off. In Verizon's case it was because they were trying to force Verizon messages down everyone's throat, as they had RCS built into that. Again, a carrier trying to control something. I don't know why the other carriers didn't implement RCS. Maybe if the carriers did implement RCS and not try to control it like Verizon did it would have been working on all Android phones right now. Instead Google had to step in to implement it and we have another situation where both phones have to have the same app for RCS to work.

By the way, Verizon is still trying to force Verizon messages on people. They disabled the text/call on another device on Verizon branded phones. Oops, another way carriers stifle the industry. Verizon is the king at that game, always has been.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
He's not wrong. The US carriers have been doing just that for years. At the current moment it's data, that's there cash cow. They first started with minutes, limited minutes, charge per minute over, nights and weekends, mobile to Mobile minutes. Then texting came along, paying per text, limited texting plans, think they did mobile to Mobile texting. After texting came, they started with the unlimited minutes as texting was the new cash cow. Fast forward to data... We all know about that cash cow, and then texting and minutes are all unlimited now, with no
limitations. I know data is unlimited by using the word unlimited, but as carriers are good at, that unlimited has limitations for data. Point is carriers have indeed stifled the industry thru the years. Yes they are in business to make money, but do it with reason.

As for the carriers slowing down RCS, they did. All the carriers agreed to do RCS across the industry. Instead just kept pushing it off. In Verizon's case it was because they were trying to force Verizon messages down everyone's throat, as they had RCS built into that. Again, a carrier trying to control something. I don't know why the other carriers didn't implement RCS. Maybe if the carriers did implement RCS and not try to control it like Verizon did it would have been working on all Android phones right now. Instead Google had to step in to implement it and we have another situation where both phones have to have the same app for RCS to work.

By the way, Verizon is still trying to force Verizon messages on people. They disabled the text/call on another device on Verizon branded phones. Oops, another way carriers stifle the industry. Verizon is the king at that game, always has been.
I thought Verizon message is going away?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It might be. I know someone still using it. It's still in the playstore

Edit.. I've said in the pass that the difference between iMessage and Android texting is everyone on iPhone is using iMessage so every user have the same capabilities, they all work the same. Android is littered with so many texting apps, even with Google messages so many people use something else. My friend is using Verizon messages, his wife is using Google messages, even after several attempts from his wife and I trying to get him to change to Google messages he's still using Verizon messages just because he is used to it and keeps forgetting to change. Android will always take a back seat to iMessage until RCS is forced on all Android phones. With apple bringing RCS to iPhone it's important to get RCS on all Android phones.. My opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It might be. I know someone still using it. It's still in the playstore

Edit.. I've said in the pass that the difference between iMessage and Android texting is everyone on iPhone is using iMessage so every user have the same capabilities, they all work the same. Android is littered with so many texting apps, even with Google messages so many people use something else. My friend is using Verizon messages, his wife is using Google messages, even after several attempts from his wife and I trying to get him to change to Google messages he's still using Verizon messages just because he is used to it and keeps forgetting to change. Android will always take a back seat to iMessage until RCS is forced on all Android phones. With apple bringing RCS to iPhone it's important to get RCS on all Android phones.. My opinion.
Google is the main one on Android for Chat RCS/response to iPhone emojis nothing out there compares.

Reactions: BEaRebel

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site

Ummm... No its not. I've been with Verizon for over 16 years. At no time did they ever force me to use Verizon Messages+. Other than the GPS and NFC being locked down, I was never "forced" to use any of Verizon's apps. That stopped when Verizon got its nuts pounded flat for it.

I used BB Messenger, the default Samsung messaging app, the default Windows phone texting app, the default HTC texting app. I CHOSE to use Verizon Messages+ when I switched to iPhone because it allowed cross platform support, had end-to-end encryption, deliver/read receipts, and a bunch of other features that iMessages did not have at the time. It also allowed me to make WiFi calls from my Samsung Tab S2 and my Windows PC (remember cross platform). This was all BEFORE RCS became a thing.

It wasn't until Google Messages was released supporting the RCS universal profile that I switched. At the time, Verizon Messages+ still had more features, like delivered/read receipts, end-to-end encryption, etc.

So tell me again how Verizon "forced" me to use its Messages+ app...

Can Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile do more to support RCS universal profile?

Sure.

Does it really matter that much now that Google supports it with its Messenger app and can be installed on ANY smartphone and tablet (and has a web portal)?

Probably not.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Google is the main one on Android for Chat RCS/response to iPhone emojis nothing out there compares.
I know that, but there are so many other texting apps on Android. At the moment Google messages isn't much different then Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, ect.. all phones in the chat have to have the same app in order to get the full benefits. I hate to say this as it goes against my core beliefs for competition..Google needs to force Google messages as the texting app on Android phones, at least force the Google RCS app as the core for texting, and other texting apps can skin it to their liking. I believe RCS needs to be standard on all android phones, developers can skin it, tweak it to their liking, but Google RCS is required. I'm hoping apple supporting RCS will get Google to do something like this. Thoughts??

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Another eye roll.

Ummm... No its not. I've been with Verizon for over 16 years. At no time did they ever force me to use Verizon Messages+. Other than the GPS and NFC being locked down, I was never "forced" to use any of Verizon's apps. That stopped when Verizon got its nuts pounded flat for it.

I used BB Messenger, the default Samsung messaging app, the default Windows phone texting app, the default HTC texting app. I CHOSE to use Verizon Messages+ when I switched to iPhone because it allowed cross platform support, had end-to-end encryption, deliver/read receipts, and a bunch of other features that iMessages did not have at the time. It also allowed me to make WiFi calls from my Samsung Tab S2 and my Windows PC (remember cross platform). This was all BEFORE RCS became a thing.

It wasn't until Google Messages was released supporting the RCS universal profile that I switched. At the time, Verizon Messages+ still had more features, like delivered/read receipts, end-to-end encryption, etc.

So tell me again how Verizon "forced" me to use its Messages+ app...

Can Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile do more to support RCS universal profile?

Sure.

Does it really matter that much now that Google supports it with its Messenger app and can be installed on ANY smartphone and tablet (and has a web portal)?

Probably not.

Of course it would do more if the carriers would support universal RCS. My point is simple...until there is universal RCS, android will always fall behind apple on texting because unlike apple, not all phones will have RCS. You just said it yourself, until Google messages was released supporting RCS you switched. Verizon was locking down RCS to Verizon messages giving you more features then...the carrier was again forcing you to use Verizon messages to get the RCS and other stuff. They didn't force you to, but had to in order to get the full extra benefits that you wanted. I'm referencing RCS..what Verizon and other carriers promised to universally support, but then Verizon locked it to their messaging app.

We all know you can install Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Verizon messages to get these options....problem again is, all parties you are taking to have to have said app also...in my experience, most people don't bother with that, they just want to use the texting app. Again, this is how iPhone is winning...you can get a iPhone, every iPhone user has iMessage and every one of them can do the RCS with the built in texting app. This is just another example of carriers forcing stuff on you...you were forced to Verizon messages to get the more features, you can say you weren't,but you already said you did to get the perks. Imagine if the carriers would have just supported universal RCS like they said they would, you could have used other texting options.

You are also correct, now that Google messages has RCS you can download that and just use that...again..all parties have to have Google messages also..the point is really simple if you stop trying to defend Verizon and other carriers, RCS needs to be standard on all android phones for it to be successful, all android texting apps need to build off Google RCS to work.

As stated, carriers in the US are known for gimping the system to their benefit. The other post was correct.

You're entitled to your opinion, as I'm to mine. My opinion is you and everyone was forced to Verizon messages to get RCS, and until Google messages came that was your only choice..sounds like forced to me.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Yeah. It looks like June 2024ish. Verizon is telling everyone to switch to (wait for it) Google Messages.

"On or about June 2024, Verizon will start to shutdown the Verizon Message+ app."

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Instead of picking on Verizon, how about you all pick on Google.

No need to root now days. Isn't the idea of Google messages and encrypted messages to be secure. If someone roots the phone they can bypass such things can't they? If Google allowed rooted phones to use Google messages I would almost bet apple will shut down supporting RCS.

Can we ask..why are you defending Verizon so much? Verizon made their bed, they can sleep in it now.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Of course it would do more if the carriers would support universal RCS. My point is simple...until there is universal RCS, android will always fall behind apple on texting because unlike apple, not all phones will have RCS. You just said it yourself, until Google messages was released supporting RCS you switched. Verizon was locking down RCS to Verizon messages giving you more features then...the carrier was again forcing you to use Verizon messages to get the RCS and other stuff. They didn't force you to, but had to in order to get the full extra benefits that you wanted. I'm referencing RCS..what Verizon and other carriers promised to universally support, but then Verizon locked it to their messaging app.

We all know you can install Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Verizon messages to get these options....problem again is, all parties you are taking to have to have said app also...in my experience, most people don't bother with that, they just want to use the texting app. Again, this is how iPhone is winning...you can get a iPhone, every iPhone user has iMessage and every one of them can do the RCS with the built in texting app. This is just another example of carriers forcing stuff on you...you were forced to Verizon messages to get the more features, you can say you weren't,but you already said you did to get the perks. Imagine if the carriers would have just supported universal RCS like they said they would, you could have used other texting options.

You are also correct, now that Google messages has RCS you can download that and just use that...again..all parties have to have Google messages also..the point is really simple if you stop trying to defend Verizon and other carriers, RCS needs to be standard on all android phones for it to be successful, all android texting apps need to build off Google RCS to work.

As stated, carriers in the US are known for gimping the system to their benefit. The other post was correct.

You're entitled to your opinion, as I'm to mine. My opinion is you and everyone was forced to Verizon messages to get RCS, and until Google messages came that was your only choice..sounds like forced to me.
Well since Verizon Message+ has always been FREE. How could Verizon "force" you to use it?

Besides, its moot. Verizon is sunsetting Messages+ starting June 2024 and is telling everyone to switch to...wait for it...

Google Messages.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
No need to root now days. Isn't the idea of Google messages and encrypted messages to be secure. If someone roots the phone they can bypass such things can't they? If Google allowed rooted phones to use Google messages I would almost bet apple will shut down supporting RCS.

Can we ask..why are you defending Verizon so much? Verizon made their bed, they can sleep in it now.
Something we can agree on. Rooting is not needed anymore.

Why am I defending Verizon? Because I can. I don't agree with everything Verizon does. It has done some pretty stupid things, and it also paid the price for it. How many times have I said Verizon got its "nuts pounded flat," or, "kicked in the crank," or, "kicked in the junk"? Or did you completely miss those comments?

But to be honest, I have no complaints about its reliability or availability of any of its services. I pay them for a service, and they provide that service. I have thought about switching to AT&T and T-Mobile. Ultimately, I always decide not to, because they still can't offer the same level of service and reliability that I've got with Verizon. Here in Hawai'i, there have been several times where AT&T and T-Mobile users had reception issues. Except for being down in a valley where NOBODY has cell reception, I've never had any cell connectivity issues.

When I travel for work, (and that has been several times in the past year and a half), I've never had any cell phone reception issues. If I must travel outside the US, I can get a company phone to use.

And, now that most modern phones (both Android and iPhone) support ESIMs, that isn't really a problem either. I can get a 5GB ESIM from Airalo for $30 which is good for 30 days. My daughter did that while in France last year and will do again in Costa Rica. The $10/day Verizon is the backup.

For full disclosure. Before Verizon I was with Sprint for five years; and before that I was with AT&T for about 15 years. I switched to Verizon because Sprint's service in SE Arizona became terrible. Except for the Tucson and Phoenix areas, AT&T had no service at all.

And finally... If you haven't figured it out yet. I am not an echo chamber. Especially, when the argument is not backed by facts. Because facts outweigh opinions.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah. It looks like June 2024ish. Verizon is telling everyone to switch to (wait for it) Google Messages.

"On or about June 2024, Verizon will start to shutdown the Verizon Message+ app."

Yeah thought I heard that rumor , Google messages will be the main one on block soon enough and I don't mind.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I know that, but there are so many other texting apps on Android. At the moment Google messages isn't much different then Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, ect.. all phones in the chat have to have the same app in order to get the full benefits. I hate to say this as it goes against my core beliefs for competition..Google needs to force Google messages as the texting app on Android phones, at least force the Google RCS app as the core for texting, and other texting apps can skin it to their liking. I believe RCS needs to be standard on all android phones, developers can skin it, tweak it to their liking, but Google RCS is required. I'm hoping apple supporting RCS will get Google to do something like this. Thoughts??
Well if you remember Apple and carriers in the US tried their own ways and made a big mess for everyone now Google stepped on to the plate and is changing this , you can still use other messaging platforms , Textra, Facebook messenger, Whatsapp etc..

But since Google is the distributor to Android they have the upper hand to accomplish this what others can't.