RCS issues with Google Messages.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well if you remember Apple and carriers in the US tried their own ways and made a big mess for everyone now Google stepped on to the plate and is changing this , you can still use other messaging platforms , Textra, Facebook messenger, Whatsapp etc..

But since Google is the distributor to Android they have the upper hand to accomplish this what others can't.
Yep, apple, the carriers created a mess. Android has a bigger mess because of all the other texting apps. Apple will have the upper hand till RCS is mandatory for all android texting apps.

Now days I try to talk android users to use Google messages, it used to be WhatsApp. This mess is one thing I didn't miss while using apple. All my apple friends could share videos and ECT, and my android friends, most of them was the same as if I was on Android, they don't use Google messages so nothing changed there. I guess I just feel like I went back in time for texting using android, the one thing apple beats us on. Hopefully android catches up some day. All android phones should be able to communicate the same across the board. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: jtfwTX

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yep, apple, the carriers created a mess. Android has a bigger mess because of all the other texting apps. Apple will have the upper hand till RCS is mandatory for all android texting apps.

Now days I try to talk android users to use Google messages, it used to be WhatsApp. This mess is one thing I didn't miss while using apple. All my apple friends could share videos and ECT, and my android friends, most of them was the same as if I was on Android, they don't use Google messages so nothing changed there. I guess I just feel like I went back in time for texting using android, the one thing apple beats us on. Hopefully android catches up some day. All android phones should be able to communicate the same across the board. Just my thoughts.
It will as you already seen Google messages becoming default on many Androids , it's coming no question about it .

Reactions: jtfwTX

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Something we can agree on. Rooting is not needed anymore.

Why am I defending Verizon? Because I can. I don't agree with everything Verizon does. It has done some pretty stupid things, and it also paid the price for it. How many times have I said Verizon got its "nuts pounded flat," or, "kicked in the crank," or, "kicked in the junk"? Or did you completely miss those comments?

But to be honest, I have no complaints about its reliability or availability of any of its services. I pay them for a service, and they provide that service. I have thought about switching to AT&T and T-Mobile. Ultimately, I always decide not to, because they still can't offer the same level of service and reliability that I've got with Verizon. Here in Hawai'i, there have been several times where AT&T and T-Mobile users had reception issues. Except for being down in a valley where NOBODY has cell reception, I've never had any cell connectivity issues.

When I travel for work, (and that has been several times in the past year and a half), I've never had any cell phone reception issues. If I must travel outside the US, I can get a company phone to use.

And, now that most modern phones (both Android and iPhone) support ESIMs, that isn't really a problem either. I can get a 5GB ESIM from Airalo for $30 which is good for 30 days. My daughter did that while in France last year and will do again in Costa Rica. The $10/day Verizon is the backup.

For full disclosure. Before Verizon I was with Sprint for five years; and before that I was with AT&T for about 15 years. I switched to Verizon because Sprint's service in SE Arizona became terrible. Except for the Tucson and Phoenix areas, AT&T had no service at all.

And finally... If you haven't figured it out yet. I am not an echo chamber. Especially, when the argument is not backed by facts. Because facts outweigh opinions.
Facts outweigh opinions, you are correct...iPhones can communicate with each other across the board. Android phones can not, both phones need to be using same texting apps which there are a lot of them.

Carriers screwed us because they didn't support universal RCS as they said they would, instead one carrier chose to offer it themselves instead. Now Google got involved and yet here we are with another texting app that is not universal RCS. Those are facts.

If you don't want to say you were forced to use Verizon messages to get RCS and other exclusive features then you weren't. My opinion is different, we don't have to agree on that.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I have never cared about what someone else uses for messaging. I never have. If someone else wants to care, that is his or her problem not mine.

In the IT/commo world, the saying is, "you are responsible for your transmissions." Meaning, you are not responsible for how anybody else sends and receives messages/information.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Facts outweigh opinions, you are correct...iPhones can communicate with each other across the board. Android phones can not, both phones need to be using same texting apps which there are a lot of them.

Carriers screwed us because they didn't support universal RCS as they said they would, instead one carrier chose to offer it themselves instead. Now Google got involved and yet here we are with another texting app that is not universal RCS. Those are facts.

If you don't want to say you were forced to use Verizon messages to get RCS and other exclusive features then you weren't. My opinion is different, we don't have to agree on that.
Really? If Androids can't communicate across the board. How am I able to send a text or call another Android? Which I can. I can communicate with ANY Android phone.

If you were to give me your phone number I can call or message you, regardless of what carrier you are on. Whether it is a Pixel, a Samsung, Motorola, or any other Android device. Even if we are in separate countries. We've had that capability even before Android came along. You can have a flip phone (they still exist) that doesn't even use Android or iOS, and I could still communicate with you.

Again, facts.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Really? If Androids can't communicate across the board. How am I able to send a text or call another Android? Which I can. I can communicate with ANY Android phone.

If you were to give me your phone number I can call or message you, regardless of what carrier you are on. Whether it is a Pixel, a Samsung, Motorola, or any other Android device. Even if we are in separate countries. We've had that capability even before Android came along. You can have a flip phone (they still exist) that doesn't even use Android or iOS, and I could still communicate with you.

Again, facts.

What does RCS do that regular texting can't do. I assumed you knew this since we've been talking RCS.

iPhones can use the text app on all iPhones to send larger files, uncompressed photos, videos to any iPhone using the standard texting app provided by apple. Android can not do that as they don't have a standard texting app that allows that

The fact there are several manufacturers making android phones adds to the complications in this and other areas. You pointed out another advantage apple has.. They are only dealing with one manufacturer. That also makes things worse, I already know this.

We're not talking regular text. Again, facts

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
What does RCS do that regular texting can't do. I assumed you knew this since we've been talking RCS.

iPhones can use the text app on all iPhones to send larger files, uncompressed photos, videos to any iPhone using the standard texting app provided by apple. Android can not do that as they don't have a standard texting app that allows that

The fact there are several manufacturers making android phones adds to the complications in this and other areas. You pointed out another advantage apple has.. They are only dealing with one manufacturer. That also makes things worse, I already know this.

We're not talking regular text. Again, facts
Your quote:

"iPhones can communicate with each other across the board. Android phones can not, both phones need to be using same texting apps which there are a lot of them."

Words have meaning.