Best way to organize App Drawer in default Launcher?

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I was using Go Launcher initially, but it seems to be sucking way too much of my battery life so I went back to the default launcher, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to organize the App Drawer. It's either a huge list or pages and pages of apps that you have to move one icon at a time. There does seem to be folders you can add, but you can't even rename them.

Duggald

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ye, you can rename. When you've finished dragging apps into the "add folder" bit, you press and hold the folder and drag it into the app drawer. It'll then ask you to rename it.

I quite like TouchWiz, myself. But using Go Launcher. :)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ye, you can rename. When you've finished dragging apps into the "add folder" bit, you press and hold the folder and drag it into the app drawer. It'll then ask you to rename it.

I quite like TouchWiz, myself. But using Go Launcher. :)

I think he means rename it, after you've already named it and dragged it into the drawer.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even know you had to drag the folder out into the drawer in order to name it the first time! But yeah, after it doesn't seem like we can rename it after.

I did use Go Launcher but that seemed to have sucked up a ton of my battery life (I made a thread about that issue) so I went back to TouchWiz and it feels so limited with customizations.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Guess I don't understand why anyone cares about organizing the app drawer. Just got shortcuts to most of the stuff I use regularly organized into folders on one of my home pages. Only use the app drawer on the rare occasion of running something that I don't use often. So the standard "alphabetical list" is plenty good enough for me.

Sent from something via something else...

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Guess I don't understand why anyone cares about organizing the app drawer. Just got shortcuts to most of the stuff I use regularly organized into folders on one of my home pages. Only use the app drawer on the rare occasion of running something that I don't use often. So the standard "alphabetical list" is plenty good enough for me.

Sent from something via something else...

+1 I place the apps i you the most on my home screen and pages .
TWZ is make to be a simple and easy UI experience. If they went crazy in the customization department, it will get to complicated and confusing for the masses. I like TWZ a lot but agree with the limitations . They should offer a TWZ plus for those who like it and want more out of it... I have yet to try out other launchers on this phone. with the threads and post about battery like draining from them it seems that this phone does play nice with anything but TWZ lol

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I was using Go Launcher initially, but it seems to be sucking way too much of my battery life so I went back to the default launcher, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to organize the App Drawer. It's either a huge list or pages and pages of apps that you have to move one icon at a time. There does seem to be folders you can add, but you can't even rename them.
It took a while but based on your question, I posted a new thread:

The Magic of Epic 4G Touch App Folders

skeeve

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a scheme that works pretty well for me (I originally saw it as a suggestion for the iPhone).

What I do is I treat each row in my app drawer as a folder. The first three items in that row are the top 3 most used apps that would be in that folder, and the last item is the folder itself. I've attached a screenshot to help explain.

My first page, for example, has my "media" applications. The first row is Audio, the next is Video, the third is Picture, and the fourth is Text. I just happen to have enough apps that fall into each of those categories for that separation to make sense for me. You might prefer something different.

I like this method because I don't have to read the label of a folder to know what apps it has. I also try to keep my pages separated by generally similar categories.

Page 1 is Media, Page 2 is Games, Page 3 are utility type things, etc. This method requires a little bit of upkeep when you download new apps, or if you beat a game and want to switch it out of your top 3, but I find it's convenient enough 95% of the time to make it worth it to me. (It also is fairly easy for somebody else to figure out where something might be).