Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
How likely is it for this phone to get an ICS update? The reason why I'm asking is because ICS seems like a worthwhile Android update that improve upon a lot of things (aside from 2.2).

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
VERY likely I think, but it'll be awhile. Spring would be a longshot, summer possible, fall most likely.

Now.. if you don't mind rooting and flashing custom ROMs, this phone may have a working ICS port by year end. The guys working on it for our phone are making some real progress.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
VERY likely I think, but it'll be awhile. Spring would be a longshot, summer possible, fall most likely.

Now.. if you don't mind rooting and flashing custom ROMs, this phone may have a working ICS port by year end. The guys working on it for our phone are making some real progress.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

Are you saying someone is already porting ICS over to this phone? I wouldn't be surprised as someone is porting ICS to the current phone I have. I wouldn't mind rooting the phone and I'm actually looking forward to the potential power I can achieve with this phone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I just went to the XDA forums to see what the development for this phone is like! It seems to be pretty active and that's good!

Yeah it's many of the same ACS guys from your OG Epic, some from the EVO 4G and other converts. Viperboy did some nice dev work on he EVO 3D and moved over to dev our phone as well. The themers are pretty darn good as well.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Given Samsung's track record we could probably be looking at early 2013. Or they may just drop the entire update like they did the Captivate and the Vibrant. Sad to say but being that its Samsung not much we can say positive about updates.

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Given Samsung's track record we could probably be looking at early 2013. Or they may just drop the entire update like they did the Captivate and the Vibrant. Sad to say but being that its Samsung not much we can say positive about updates.

The problem with updates from samsung I believe is way to many phones so they cannot dedicate a team just for one particular phone

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's many of the same ACS guys from your OG Epic, some from the EVO 4G and other converts. Viperboy did some nice dev work on he EVO 3D and moved over to dev our phone as well. The themers are pretty darn good as well.

Yeah, I recognized several devs in that forum that used to make ROMs/themes for the Epic.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The update will come eventually. Since they have so many versions of the SII, I would imagine that helps somewhat. It is unlikely they update only one carrier's version- there must be some economies of scale.

I am sure there will be customer ROM, but you know those go. After trying at least 7 one my tablet, the best one is at best somewhat stable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89