Sprint/Samsung issuing ICS fix!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Jay, I just watched the Youtube vid. It is not difficult. The only thing though, is that it requires GB. AND I am on the Sprint 4.0. So, I need to switch to GB somehow. Suggestions? :-\

It doesn't matter what ROM you're on now, only that you first flash a Gingerbread kernel repacked with Clockwork Mod Recovery. This is a safety precaution as flashing from a Gingerbread based kernel/recovery is known to be safe from the EMMC brick bug that plagues this phone (and a few other Galaxy II based devices like the G-Note).

So here is a quick rundown of how the process would go for you from stock Samsung ICS:

First you need to root your phone. Follow this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...oot-e4gt-latest-method-ff18-ics-firmware.html

The reason you want to root first is to be able to use Mobile Odin (more on that below).

Once on stock FF18 rooted ...

Download CM9 Alpha 6 ROM, the latest GAPPs (Google Apps), the EL26+CWM5 kernel, Calkulin's Format All script ZIP and Mobile Odin and get all the files onto your phone.

Note on Mobile Odin: Mobile Odin Lite can be downloaded for free from XDA if you have a forum account and installed manually: [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT] - xda-developers. It can also be downloaded from the Play Store for a fee. It's a very useful tool for our phone and worth the cost, but the free version is sufficient for most needs.

Mobile Odin is generally recommended over desktop Odin for flashing kernels because 1) it's easier and 2) it does not trigger the yellow flash triangle on the boot screen or increase the Odin flash count. Both issues can be resolved fairly easily with Triangle Away or a USB jig, but for the novice flasher, avoiding both in the first place is preferable in my eyes.

So!

Steps:

1) Use Mobile Odin to flash the EL26 kernel.TAR you downloaded
2) After the flash and when the phone reboots and hits the SGSIII screen, pull the battery out or hold down the power button to power the phone off.
3) Boot into recovery by holding down Vol UP + Power at the same time
4) Install Calkulin's Format All ZIP
5) Install the CM9 Alpha 6 ROM
6) Install the GAPPs
7) Reboot

Note on #4: One can perform the same as Calkulin's Format All ZIP by manually wiping cache, dalvik cache, data and system from recovery, but flashing the format all ZIP is easier and involves far less menu selections in recovery.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Jay. :)
I am going to play around with it in the next day or so. not tonight. To tired. Had a big day.... job interview for a new job and got it. Start in two weeks and I have to give my 2 week notice tomorrow where I presently am at. :cool:

CRS1

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jay. :)
I am going to play around with it in the next day or so. not tonight. To tired. Had a big day.... job interview for a new job and got it. Start in two weeks and I have to give my 2 week notice tomorrow where I presently am at. :cool:

Congrats on the new job!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: packhntr

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter what ROM you're on now, only that you first flash a Gingerbread kernel repacked with Clockwork Mod Recovery. This is a safety precaution as flashing from a Gingerbread based kernel/recovery is known to be safe from the EMMC brick bug that plagues this phone (and a few other Galaxy II based devices like the G-Note).

So here is a quick rundown of how the process would go for you from stock Samsung ICS:

First you need to root your phone. Follow this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...oot-e4gt-latest-method-ff18-ics-firmware.html

The reason you want to root first is to be able to use Mobile Odin (more on that below).

Once on stock FF18 rooted ...

Download CM9 Alpha 6 ROM, the latest GAPPs (Google Apps), the EL26+CWM5 kernel, Calkulin's Format All script ZIP and Mobile Odin and get all the files onto your phone.

Note on Mobile Odin: Mobile Odin Lite can be downloaded for free from XDA if you have a forum account and installed manually: [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT] - xda-developers. It can also be downloaded from the Play Store for a fee. It's a very useful tool for our phone and worth the cost, but the free version is sufficient for most needs.

Mobile Odin is generally recommended over desktop Odin for flashing kernels because 1) it's easier and 2) it does not trigger the yellow flash triangle on the boot screen or increase the Odin flash count. Both issues can be resolved fairly easily with Triangle Away or a USB jig, but for the novice flasher, avoiding both in the first place is preferable in my eyes.

So!

Steps:

1) Use Mobile Odin to flash the EL26 kernel.TAR you downloaded
2) After the flash and when the phone reboots and hits the SGSIII screen, pull the battery out or hold down the power button to power the phone off.
3) Boot into recovery by holding down Vol UP + Power at the same time
4) Install Calkulin's Format All ZIP
5) Install the CM9 Alpha 6 ROM
6) Install the GAPPs
7) Reboot

Note on #4: One can perform the same as Calkulin's Format All ZIP by manually wiping cache, dalvik cache, data and system from recovery, but flashing the format all ZIP is easier and involves far less menu selections in recovery.

OK....I am to the point of having the phone rooted with ODIN (not mobile, but desktop as I followed his instructions and he used the desktop version) onto FF18.

I cannot find where to get: "Download CM9 Alpha 6 ROM, the latest GAPPs (Google Apps), the EL26+CWM5 kernel, Calkulin's Format All script ZIP and Mobile Odin and get all the files onto your phone."
I looked for the mobile Odin lite, but cannot find it anywhere on Google play store, just pro.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Dumb question.....HOW do I get EL26 and the rest onto the phone? I cannot seem to get Mobile ODIN Lite to work. I thought I had directed it to the add on ( [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT] - xda-developers) ( CHAINFIRE, 15th November 2011, 05:46 PM

(Last edited by Chainfire; 7th June 2012 at 11:15 PM.) ) about 3/4 way down page. I am stuck!!!!!

Did you also install the flash kernel?

xda-developers - View Single Post - [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT]

Make sure you download the D710 version. Extract from the ZIP and install the APK.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I did, but I don't know how to get them onto the phone.....they're on my desktop right now. Do I need to place them on my sdcard? If so, how do i access them on the phone?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I did, but I don't know how to get them onto the phone.....they're on my desktop right now. Do I need to place them on my sdcard? If so, how do i access them on the phone?

Put the APKs anywhere on your SD card, and use a File Explorer App like ES File Explorer to navigate to them and click to install.

Or you can download them directly from a browser on your phone, click the notification when the download is complete and install from your download folder.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
A the moment I am temporarily restoring to FF18ROOT as I kept getting calander and such errors and couldn't get anywhere. I also downloaded the GAPPS onto my desktop....
If I understand this all correctly
1: Download Mobile Odin Lite onto phone (done)
2: place it's add on onto my card
3: place el26 onto card
4: place Calkins onto card
5: place CM9 onto card

somehow install them????? not certain what to do after I get them onto the card.
The flashing down to the ICS root was easy, the flashing to EL29 was easy, but no clue how to go to EL26 and the rest. It's not very clear.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
1) Flash the rooted FF18 Odin one click, and use the Full Restore version since you have to wipe all your data anyways.
2) Download Mobile Odin Lite, the flash kernel, CM9 ROM zip, GAPPs zip, EL26 kernel TAR file, and Calkulin format all zip
3) Extract the Mobile Odin Lite and flash kernel APKs from the ZIPs and place them on your sdcard.
4) Move all the other ZIPs (ROM, GAPPs, kernel, Format All) to your SD card without extracting them (keep as ZIP files)
5) Navigate to your Mobile Odin Lite APK with a file explorer and click it to install
6) Navigate to your Mobile Odin flash kernel APK with a file explorer and click it to install

Edit - Before you load Mobile Odin, you may want to download the App GPS Status and load it. When you get a GPS lock, then load Mobile Odin and continue on with the steps below. Having your phone reboot while you have a GPS lock could save you from having to fix it later. This means you may need to step outside to get a GPS lock.

7) Load Mobile Odin (grant Superuser permission)
8) Hit "Open file ..." from the menu and choose the EL26.TAR file. If you scroll back up, you will see that Mobile Odin placed that file in the Kernel section.
9) Scroll back down to the Flash section and choose "Flash firmware"
10) After the flash your phone will reboot, as soon as the phone hits the SGSII screen (white letters) hold down your power button to power off your phone.
11) Boot directly into CWM recovery by holding down Vol UP + Power at the same time. You have to hold them down for several seconds. Just keep holding until you see the recovery screen
12) Hit Vol Up, Vol Down, Vol Up, Vol Down until you see the message that the power button has been enabled to select (or something along those lines)

* Vol Up and Vol Down to navigate up and down the menus and Power button to select

13) Then choose "install zip from sdcard" --> "choose zip from sdcard" --> navigate to Calkulin's Format All.zip and select to flash it
14) Repeat steps in #13 to flash the CM9 ROM zip then the GAPPs zip

* So the flashing order in CWM is Calkulin Format All, CM9 ROM, GAPPs.

15) Select "Go Back" to the first screen and select "Reboot Now"

The first boot will take awhile since your Dalvik Cache was wiped. Don't freak and think something went wrong. Just give it time.

Enjoy CM9! :):):)

Last edited:

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
running into an issue wit #5. I extracted the Mobile Odin Lite and it's flash Kernel APK and placed them on the sd card, However, Mobile Odin Lite does not appear to have an APK?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
running into an issue wit #5. I extracted the Mobile Odin Lite and it's flash Kernel APK and placed them on the sd card, However, Mobile Odin Lite does not appear to have an APK?

Oh. I just looked at the downloadable file for Mobile Odin Lite, and it's not packed in a zip, just the raw APK. Were you not able to just place that APK file on your phone and install it?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, it's really my fault but I/we've taken this thread way off topic.

If you need more help on the CM9 install PM me. I'm going to be away from a computer and phone for a bit so I won't be able to get back to you until a bit later.

Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch