[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

LoneStarWings

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

No, I definitely did not unzip the files. I download TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip from the link in the instructions, dragged and dropped it from the "download" folder on my PC to the "Card" folder on the SPH-L710, nothing more than that.

I'm pretty sure I'm in custom recovery.....it's the blue touch screen recovery menu and appears just like it did on the first phone I rooted successfully, only this time TeamEpic is not an available choice despite having dropped the files into the card. Like I said, I tried putting in both the "card" and "phone" directories and it's there when I browse the phone's files on my PC, but not available for selection on the recovery menus. I tried updating drivers, rebooting phone and computer, and tried it all half a dozen times, taking care to follow the directions carefully.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

No, I definitely did not unzip the files. I download TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip from the link in the instructions, dragged and dropped it from the "download" folder on my PC to the "Card" folder on the SPH-L710, nothing more than that.

I'm pretty sure I'm in custom recovery.....it's the blue touch screen recovery menu and appears just like it did on the first phone I rooted successfully, only this time TeamEpic is not an available choice despite having dropped the files into the card. Like I said, I tried putting in both the "card" and "phone" directories and it's there when I browse the phone's files on my PC, but not available for selection on the recovery menus. I tried updating drivers, rebooting phone and computer, and tried it all half a dozen times, taking care to follow the directions carefully.

You do know that you have to reflash recovery in odin every time your phone boots? Custom recovery will not stick if team epic root from recovery isn't installed before the phone boots. that's why you must turn OFF the options to reboot your phone in odin and why you must remove your batter and disconnect the phone from the computer when odin finishes.

LoneStarWings

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You do know that you have to reflash recovery in odin every time your phone boots? Custom recovery will not stick if team epic root from recovery isn't installed before the phone boots. that's why you must turn OFF the options to reboot your phone in odin and why you must remove your batter and disconnect the phone from the computer when odin finishes.

Yep, I definitely reflashed recovery every time and made sure the phone didn't boot between flashing recovery and booting into recovery mode.

merlec92

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
I haven't seen this question yet but would like to know. I have stock 4.1.1 JB and want to root only without changing anything. Does this flash from recovery do that or is there another way to root without flashing a recovery .zip? Thanks

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I haven't seen this question yet but would like to know. I have stock 4.1.1 JB and want to root only without changing anything. Does this flash from recovery do that or is there another way to root without flashing a recovery .zip? Thanks

This method flashes root from recovery tar. There are methods that will flash a prerooted image tar through Odin.

If you want to root and keep stock recovery, I can provide you the stock recovery in a zip that you can flash in custom recovery right after flashing root if you want.

rclksr

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Are you in custom recovery? it can be in any folder on either your sd or your external sd but it's easier if it is on the root of it. You didn't unzip the root from recovery file did you? It sounds like you are still using stock recovery... BTW recovery will not read a card formatted in the exfat file system. but if you put it on internal storage it should be ablwe to find it. Since it's not, it leads me to believe you are booting into stock recovery.

OK I think this is my problem and maybe some others as well. This is my first Android device, and I love exploring! Windows Mobile got old. LOL Anyway I have tried rooting my device several times flashing back to stock and re-rooting again to find out why I can not see my ext-sdcard. I first had CWM two different verision and neither one could read my ext-sdcard. Each time I flashed back to un-rooted stock I could see the ext-sdcard in recovery. This time I flashed with TWRP and again I cannot see the ext-sdcard. Factory recovery sees it just fine, but custom can not see it. Anybody know why this is? I know the answer is exfat after reading this comment. (which by the way I have not found anywhere else. Thanks for the heads up.) Does anyone know why the custom recoveries cannot read exfat? Second question should I then consider formatting my 64G ext sd card with FAT32 then? will that be seen with custom recoveries? Thanks for the detailed directions in this thread. Liking Android.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Why is easy. Microsoft charges a ton for licensing. So exfat support is not free. However twrp does have a version that reads exfat but it is not an official build. Soon as i get home I will find it for you or you can just format your sdcard to fat32.

As for stock recovery, unless Samsung upgraded their recovery with a recent update, it doesn't read the exfat for system.

EDIT: If you like flashing custom kernels most do not read exfat either and will give you the error sdcard failed to mount. Stock kernel reads them fine.

TWRP 2.3.2.3 with exfat support.

Last edited:

rclksr

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'll try this out tonight. I can confirm my stock S3 has been able to read my exfat card. From what you say though I might just format the card to fat32 though. seems like less headaches later. Thanks again.

gorealmighty

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I do have a question about flashing a new custom ROM (CMx, Jellybomb etc.) I realize that there are two files that will need to be removed per the LG2 update. but after I have rooted and gained custom recovery shouldn't flashing a new ROM be as simple as placing the .zip on my storage, opening CWM and flashing the .zip from there or would I have to load it up through ODIN and repeat the before mentioned steps used to root this beastie?

thanks in advance!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I do have a question about flashing a new custom ROM (CMx, Jellybomb etc.) I realize that there are two files that will need to be removed per the LG2 update. but after I have rooted and gained custom recovery shouldn't flashing a new ROM be as simple as placing the .zip on my storage, opening CWM and flashing the .zip from there or would I have to load it up through ODIN and repeat the before mentioned steps used to root this beastie?

thanks in advance!

Yup pretty much... flash the zip in recovery.... If you are flashing an aosp or CM you will also have to flash gaps.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
so if i understand correctly, rooting does not wipe your phone, and i do not need to install a custom rom?

This method will not wipe your phone. Coffee whatever room you want or keep what you have currently. Rooting your phone doesn't do anything other than letting you access the entire phone.

Think of it like this. I have a young daughter and I put many restrictions on her Windows. She can't install programs or access many parts of the computer.

Sprint and the other carriers do the same thing to us. They locked us out of the system so that we don't muck things up. All rooting does is removed the restrictions. It doesn't do anything else. It well not effect your battery, stability or make your phone any different than it is now.

However, it gives you the power to customize, mod, fix and yes destroy your phone. If you don't know what your messing with you can surely make things worse. Just remember it isn't the root that changes anything, it's you.

bojackson

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This method will not wipe your phone. Coffee whatever room you want or keep what you have currently. Rooting your phone doesn't do anything other than letting you access the entire phone.

Think of it like this. I have a young daughter and I put many restrictions on her Windows. She can't install programs or access many parts of the computer.

Sprint and the other carriers do the same thing to us. They locked us out of the system so that we don't muck things up. All rooting does is removed the restrictions. It doesn't do anything else. It well not effect your battery, stability or make your phone any different than it is now.

However, it gives you the power to customize, mod, fix and yes destroy your phone. If you don't know what your messing with you can surely make things worse. Just remember it isn't the root that changes anything, it's you.

thanks. i was just curious because i remember back in the day when i rooted the epic 4g, it wiped the phone and you had to install a rom right away.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Easy Smeasy. Did the prep work (previous experience rooting and flashing with the Epic 4G), downloaded all the files and rooted within 5 minutes. Made sure everything worked, then made a CWM Nandroid Backup to External SD card (did it to internal first, and later figured out I could do it to external and save internal storage space...so deleted all the backup and blobs from internal card). Set up my Titanium Backup Root and froze some bloat and then Finally, disabled the power on and power off.ogg files so I get quiet boots and shutdowns. One thing I recommend is don't use Gemini App Manager as a task killer. I stopped some auto boots within that app and froze my phone...had to do a nandroid backup Restore! Already! Plus, I don't like the fact that Gemini was an "In app upgrade" which you lose permanently each time you do a reset or flash a new rom or get a new phone. You must rely on the particular app developer to remember you to get the full functionality back. Never again!

gorealmighty

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Yup pretty much... flash the zip in recovery.... If you are flashing an aosp or CM you will also have to flash gaps.

thanks so much man! I dove in and took the risk not knowing though (stooopid) but it worked. one more annoying question and I'm on my way. I got CM10 and my gogle play is acting all sorts of squirrley (looked into it already, none of the fixes are working.) is there a ROM that YOU would recommend that includes the samsung motions (swipe for SS, call displayed contact etc) that is relatively stable (i.e play store that works properly)?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
thanks so much man! I dove in and took the risk not knowing though (stooopid) but it worked. one more annoying question and I'm on my way. I got CM10 and my gogle play is acting all sorts of squirrley (looked into it already, none of the fixes are working.) is there a ROM that YOU would recommend that includes the samsung motions (swipe for SS, call displayed contact etc) that is relatively stable (i.e play store that works properly)?

If you want the bells and whistles that came with your phone you need to stick with touchwiz roms.

Try wicked sensations. It it's a themed Rom that you can choose between 3 different themes. Very stable and fast. He has removed some of the apps that came on the phone but provides a zip file to reinstall anything you may want back. After installing the rom. Go into the kuban updater and it has an app folder and many custom dropdowns and mods designed for the rom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty