Sprint network speed on the gs3

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am very surprised, I have to admit. If you will, take a look at the signal bars in the Screenshot. This is at my house, so when I first brought the phone home I though that this is going to be a problem. Now take a look at my speed. This is no fluke result either, had the same numbers yesterday during peak usage hours and also in other locations. I know, this speed is nothing g to write home about compared to lte on big blue and red, but during a time where sprint 3g is under heavy criticism, these numbers truly amaze me. My epic touch barely ever broke a thousand and i saw some real dismal numbers on it way too often. The wife is about the same as the epic touch, maybe a little faster but going by the bars its roughly the same. GPS is phenomenal. Locks I seconds inside a building. Anyways, just wanted to share. View attachment 28569

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thought it was just me switching from the Pre that made me think the speeds were faster. Guessh not. Everything loads pretty quickly. I did the speed test but I deleted the app right after. My speeds weren't nearly as fast but still. I'm seeing a huge amount of improvement. Can't wait for lte.

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I am very surprised, I have to admit. If you will, take a look at the signal bars in the Screenshot. This is at my house, so when I first brought the phone home I though that this is going to be a problem. Now take a look at my speed. This is no fluke result either, had the same numbers yesterday during peak usage hours and also in other locations. I know, this speed is nothing g to write home about compared to lte on big blue and red, but during a time where sprint 3g is under heavy criticism, these numbers truly amaze me. My epic touch barely ever broke a thousand and i saw some real dismal numbers on it way too often. The wife is about the same as the epic touch, maybe a little faster but going by the bars its roughly the same. GPS is phenomenal. Locks I seconds inside a building. Anyways, just wanted to share. View attachment 28569

What task bar are you using? I like how you changed the font and battery icon.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
So far EVERYTHING is lightning fast on this phone in comparison to my 3VO. Although I have had one instance in which the 3g was not doing it's job. It was while trying to download a song from an email attachment. I figure it is only because of the maintenance on the Sprint towers in KC though.

zharris24

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Love the phone as well. Everything is quick and fast. Dropped a blu-ray file on it yesterday and the resolution is just amazing compared to my previous Optimus S :)

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Glad to read your experiences. Main reason I returned my Evo LTE: worthless 3G reception. That poc was giving me a tenth the speed of my Evo 4G!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yup! Why settle for Sprint's dial up network to save $10 a month? Go look at ATT or Verizon if its better in your area.

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My aunt was with AT&T in the Houston, TX area for a few years...we happened to be discussing her bill when she called me 2 days ago...she was telling me that for her and my uncle (2 lines) she was paying $221.00 per month and they both had the iPhone...(Iphone 3, not the newest)..

When she told me that, I was like WOW...$220 for 2 phones with data...then I told her that when I had 2 phones on my Sprint account, I was only paying $170 with insurance, an Airvana, and data fees...

She called yesterday to say she had bailed on AT&T and went to Sprint.

But, even though I brought Sprint some business, I get nothing for referring my family to use the provider I use...that's the only complaint I have.

And I have no problems hitting some great 3G speeds with my Sprint...

The top 3 tests are on 3G/mobile tower..while the others are mostly WIFI...

I just did these tests a couple days ago.

View attachment 28648

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My aunt was with AT&T in the Houston, TX area for a few years...we happened to be discussing her bill when she called me 2 days ago...she was telling me that for her and my uncle (2 lines) she was paying $221.00 per month and they both had the iPhone...(Iphone 3, not the newest)..

When she told me that, I was like WOW...$220 for 2 phones with data...then I told her that when I had 2 phones on my Sprint account, I was only paying $170 with insurance, an Airvana, and data fees...

She called yesterday to say she had bailed on AT&T and went to Sprint.

But, even though I brought Sprint some business, I get nothing for referring my family to use the provider I use...that's the only complaint I have.

And I have no problems hitting some great 3G speeds with my Sprint...

The top 3 tests are on 3G/mobile tower..while the others are mostly WIFI...

I just did these tests a couple days ago.

View attachment 28648

Hey Jon!

Your one of the lucky few who live in a good area! Where I live and in Boston where I got every other weekend you can have full bars and still only get 500K for your download speed. I hope the plans work out for your family though! As I do not go to TX to often to know!

johnnybiggles

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Thought it was just me switching from the Pre that made me think the speeds were faster. Guessh not. Everything loads pretty quickly. I did the speed test but I deleted the app right after. My speeds weren't nearly as fast but still. I'm seeing a huge amount of improvement. Can't wait for lte.

Man I thought I was the only one left with a Pre! Man, the speed difference is enormous!!

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a carrier issue to me.

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Trust me, I wish that had been the case, as I had no desire to return the Evo. However, after going through a couple of hoops with tech support, and them checking the network, nothing was wrong, and nothing changed. Until I reactivated my Evo 4G. Immediate jump from 150kbps, to 1500kbps. Then the return became a no-brainer.

I was really apprehensive about Samsung radios since I decided to hold out for the S3 at that point, so that's why I'm glad to see these positive reports.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, I wish that had been the case, as I had no desire to return the Evo. However, after going through a couple of hoops with tech support, and them checking the network, nothing was wrong, and nothing changed. Until I reactivated my Evo 4G. Immediate jump from 150kbps, to 1500kbps. Then the return became a no-brainer.

I was really apprehensive about Samsung radios since I decided to hold out for the S3 at that point, so that's why I'm glad to see these positive reports.

That's the same song Sprint sings to everyone, it's not their signals. Thousands of people with all different phones can't be wrong.I updated from the OG Evo and my signal didn't change.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
That's the same song Sprint sings to everyone, it's not their signals. Thousands of people with all different phones can't be wrong.I updated from the OG Evo and my signal didn't change.

Oh, I have no doubt I got one from what must have been a bad batch. It was just enough of a downer that I didn't want to deal with an exchange; especially with the S3 right around the corner...and several others reporting signal issues with their Evo LTEs. Awesome that you got a good one though; I don't think you can go wrong with either...barring any issues :)

Reactions: Mercury81

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What task bar are you using? I like how you changed the font and battery icon.

That's all stock. The GS3 gives you the option to add the battery percentage and there are 4 system wide fonts to pick from. And when I say system wide, I mean system wide. If you have the newest version of Swiftkey installed, the fonts will even display on the keyboard!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbledore