Your way to Update...

Jao Ozaki

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Well the Butterery Smoothness doesnt feel much different from ICS, But otherwise its going well so far. Im glad i dont have that ugly 4.1 AppDrawer icon. Thanks Touchwiz. For once.

skiskilo

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok so someone explain to me how I can manually update my Sprint GS3? It's not rooted or custom ROM or whatever any other terminology out there is. It's straight stock, no hacks or weird sh!t. The OTA update hasn't hit at Fort Leonard Wood, MO yet and if there is a safe way to update the file without waiting I'd love to know.

Method 2 should work fine, I'm also not rooted and stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Find an SDcard. I believe the only way to do it is with the SD

Correct, you'll need a external SD card to use method 2.

mjc8870

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Can i download update directly from phone and place on sd card. Then can i update thru stock rocovery?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I used the first post to return to stock using the odin file. Going through the previous updates cycle now, updated me all the way to JELLY BEAN!!!

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded that file and it took to the L710.13 not jelly bean. How do I make sure it's installed to my sd card?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Put the file in your phone, NOT your SD card. After you do that, follow this.....

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

epic_mike29

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
After downloading the file i went to update from sd card and it saif the file had a fail signature and canceled the update, any tips on how to fix that? I can't wait for OTA i always get mines like 5days out. Screw that noise!

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
U have lag time? Of what a half a second? Lol

maybe a full second! maybe even 2 seconds! :) But it's still annoying - never had a lag time with my Photon but I'm always waiting for this phone to catch up with me, especially in the text messaging functionality! Annoying!
sent from my UNROOTED but still totally frikkin awesomely customized Galaxy S3

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded that file and it took to the L710.13 not jelly bean. How do I make sure it's installed to my sd card?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Is your External sdcard formated to fat32 file system?

The filename should be:
eec955eb4a5b.update_SPH-L710_LI3_to_LJ7.zip

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
This will be the way to manually update your phone if you are:

Rooted or Unrooted - Stock Rom with all needed bloatware and Stock recovery.

Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

And here it is at last....
UPDATE ZIP IS HERE! And yes it works.

I would like to thank skiskilo and mdmitchell13 for continuing to search for this long after I went to bed.

I get the following error in stock recovery when I try to update via ext storage :

E: failed to mount /sd card (invalid argument)

The . zip file is on my ext card (didn't put in a folder). Any help? Thanks.

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64