Hello all! New user to the S3, but no stranger to Android world

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys! A little introduction to myself. Been an Android user since HTC EVO 4g, than moved on towards the LTE model and now currently using the S3. Wondering why I went from EVOlte to S3? I was trying something new other than HTC (plus I got the S3 for 100$. Sold my LTE for 200$ So win win?)

I have a simple question I couldn't figure out for the life of me - Texting (stock) notification. How do I disable the screen from lighting up upon text received? That really really bugs me =(
Other than that I'm still getting used to Samsung version of Jelly Bean (which is nice so far) I had major issues when I updated my LTE to Jelly Bean, my Google Navigation wouldn't run more than 5 minutes before locking up. Major no no in my line of work.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the gs3 forums. Hopefully you will get to like the gs3 as well as you did the htc phones.

As for the stock messenger app. I did away with the screen problem the easy way. I disabled the notifications in the stock app and switched to gosms. To me it was an easy choice as:
1. I hate bubble style text messengers
2. It is much more configurable
3. I could set it up to just blink the notification light and play a notification sound.

As far as I know there is nothing you can do to stop the screen on with the stock messenger without rooting and installing a custom Rom. This may have changed as been a while since I looked into it. But since the bubble style sms is still present I haven't looked back.

If there is a way someone will post it. I just can't remember reading about a fix for it yet.

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for confirming about the notification not being able to be disabled. I have used go sms before with my previous phone but did away with it since I has major issues.

1) texts being sent to the wrong people (major issue)
2) text hanging or not being sent out

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for confirming about the notification not being able to be disabled. I have used go sms before with my previous phone but did away with it since I has major issues.

1) texts being sent to the wrong people (major issue)
2) text hanging or not being sent out

I have not had any issues like that with gosms on the gs3. I did a couple times on my nexus s4g. So I really think it was the phone or a combination of the phone and gosms. But there are are other message apps such as handcent which are popular.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty