Hide pics, images, and video.

Massius001

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I've scoured the internet and throughout AC Forums and have not been able to find an answer. I open Gallery, I select a photo album, I press menu on my phone and the last item in the menu list says "Hidden Items". 1377742914126.jpg
This suggests to me that there is a way to hide an image within the existing Android 4.1.2 system without the use of third party apps. I've seen where many have suggested several apps that were great, but I just can't get past this simple idea that it is something the stock system can do. I know several years ago in my Blackberry days there was the ability to view the files in the file manager, view the properties of a file and select a checkbox to make that file hidden. Unfortunately, that's not an available option with Android. So does anyone have any ideas here...hackers, developers, anyone???
FYI...Stock and non-rooted 4.1.2.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 - SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I've scoured the internet and throughout AC Forums and have not been able to find an answer. I open Gallery, I select a photo album, I press menu on my phone and the last item in the menu list says "Hidden Items". View attachment 78484
This suggests to me that there is a way to hide an image within the existing Android 4.1.2 system without the use of third party apps. I've seen where many have suggested several apps that were great, but I just can't get past this simple idea that it is something the stock system can do. I know several years ago in my Blackberry days there was the ability to view the files in the file manager, view the properties of a file and select a checkbox to make that file hidden. Unfortunately, that's not an available option with Android. So does anyone have any ideas here...hackers, developers, anyone???

Thanks!

I am pretty sure when you go into the app drawer, and click menu, you can select to hide applications. I am not sure if the same can be done for files. Best thing to do is go into file manager and try it. (Can't answer for sure...been about 6 months since I have been completely stock, almost 3 since running even a touchwiz ROM.)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
In any case, it seems to me that if you really want to hide images, you don't want a menu option in the gallery offering to show them to anyone who happens to have your phone....

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And if true, why not upload them to a cloud storage site, not mobile app, and always sign out?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Massius001

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
My point isn't so much that I would need to hide images as it is that why would there be an option in the menu for "hidden items" if there wasn't a way hide them. See the posted screen shot. I just think that it is rather unnecessary to have the option if you can't "hide" anything. So my line of thinking is there's got to be a way to "hide".

Last edited:

Massius001

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Hiding an app is possible. I currently have some unnecessary and redundant apps hidden. I'm more curious about the individual file. Thanks though.

Massius001

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Again, this post isn't about solutions to hiding files. I understand that there is an abundance of apps out there in which to hide files. If that's all I was interested in then this post doesn't even exist. I am interested in the why and how. Please look at the screen shot and ask "Why is that menu item there?" and, How do I give a file a "hidden" attribute so that I could utilize this menu item to reveal hidden files? " Do you follow me now?

Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it.

Heavy Fluid

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Another KeepSafe user. I love this app. I know that the OP is looking for something within the OS, but if you don't find that, and want to hide things, download that app. It really is a nice app.

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I've scoured the internet and throughout AC Forums and have not been able to find an answer. I open Gallery, I select a photo album, I press menu on my phone and the last item in the menu list says "Hidden Items". This suggests to me that there is a way to hide an image within the existing Android 4.1.2 system without the use of third party apps. I've seen where many have suggested several apps that were great, but I just can't get past this simple idea that it is something the stock system can do. I know several years ago in my Blackberry days there was the ability to view the files in the file manager, view the properties of a file and select a checkbox to make that file hidden. Unfortunately, that's not an available option with Android. So does anyone have any ideas here...hackers, developers, anyone???

Thanks!

try scrolling that list/menu

Stewby85

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a file that I hide and keep pictures in it that I want no one to see but me. The way I do it is I go to MY FILES in the app section and usually go to my ext.sd and create a new file. What ever you name it put a (DOT) in front of it that will hide the file. If you want to see the files click on menu / settings / show hidden files. It will be there.. To hide just uncheck show hidden files
Thats how I do it

PlonkPlonk

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi

My new Samsung Note 8.0 has the option "Hide Items"-it doesn't seem to do anything. To hide: first you must "Select item". Then try the menu again and you can "Hide Items" selected.

Now..how to view Hidden Items? Anyone know?

dBot69

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
THIS IS THE ANSWER: You can only hide pictures that are stored on the phone's internal memory. You do this by long-holding the picture to select it, then clicking the menu button. Not sure why this can't be done with pictures on the memory card....

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty