Please help to root and flash Cyanogenmod

Tiger

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to Android and recently purchased a Nexus S 4G. Today, I tried to root and flash Cyanogenmod to my phone. I succeeded in unlocking my bootloader but after some confusion my phone is now stuck at the Google logo screen with an open padlock at the bottom. It wont go past this no matter what. I am now without a phone. :(

I used the following guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=878446

I started having trouble at the "Tap on the gray box that says "Mount R/W"" step. Could not find it.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Nexus_S:_Full_Update_Guide

Also, In my attempt to fix it I hit "wipe data/ factory reset" along with "wipe cache partition"

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You will be OK.

Do you have CM downloaded to your sdcard already? And did you get past the flash recovery step?

If so:

Turn the phone off, pull the battery if you have to.

Press volume up and power at the same time.

Choose Recovery from the bootloader screen

In recovery wipe the cache partition then go to Advanced and wipe dalvik.

Go back to main recovery menu and choose to install zip from sdcard, navigate to the cyanogen mod zip file and select it.

Hope that helps!

Tiger

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the response, but unfortunately it did not work. I think I also wiped the sd card while trying to fix it on my own. I can still get into fastboot mode, with an unlocked bootloader, but I can't get past the bootlogo. I also don't think I can mount it on my computer. I am so sad, please tell me I'm not screwed...

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the response, but unfortunately it did not work. I think I also wiped the sd card while trying to fix it on my own. I can still get into fastboot mode, with an unlocked bootloader, but I can't get past the bootlogo. I also don't think I can mount it on my computer. I am so sad, please tell me I'm not screwed...

Its a Nexus, you're not screwed.

Can you get in to recovery? If so you can 'adb push' the ROM file to /sdcard. If you don't have custom recovery installed you can just re flash it from the same steps in the original thread you followed.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
ADB push is not "mounting SD card"

when you are in recovery, can you see your phone when u do adb devices?
What recovery are you using?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Follow these steps exactly:

Download CyanogenMod rom and put it in your adb directory (the folder where adb, fastboot are located)
(latest nightly: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution #10 as of this posting)

Boot your Nexus S 4G in to recovery

Go to mounts and storage and select "mount sdcard"

Open up a command prompt in your adb directory

Enter:

adb push cm_crespo4g_full-10.zip /sdcard

When that's done transferring, select Go Back on the bottom of the recovery menu.

Select Wipe Cache partition

When that's done go to Advanced

Select Wipe Dalvik

Then hit go back

Then go to install zip from sdcard and select the cyanogen nightly file you just transfered over

Reboot & Enjoy.

Tiger

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean by adb directory. In /Program Files/ Android/ android-sdk/ platform-tools I opened a command prompt and entered: adb push cm_crespo4g_full-10.zip /sdcard

I then get the error: device not found

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean by adb directory. In /Program Files/ Android/ android-sdk/ platform-tools I opened a command prompt and entered: adb push cm_crespo4g_full-10.zip /sdcard

I then get the error: device not found

OK, is the phone booted in to recovery at this point? Did you notice if windows installed any drivers for your phone?

Tiger

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it booted into recovery. My computer did install a few drivers for my phone, but I still can't see it as a device on /computer.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, no big deal.

Right click on my computer, go to properties, go to the android device that's listed, right click on it and update the driver, choose that you'll choose it manually and hit have disk, then browse to the android sdk folder to the driver folder and install the driver.

It will say that's not signed but it's OK, after it's installed type:

adb devices

in your command prompt to just confirm it's working, then go ahead with the push.

Tiger

May 9, 2010
Visit site
There is no android devide under computer/ properties. My computer will only see the device in control panel/ hardware and sound/ devices and printers as "Nexus S". It says the drivers are up to date.

Also, in Device Manager, the device is picked up as H:\ but I can't find an appropriate file to update with (it wants an *.inf file)

I'm sorry guys, I consider myself pretty computer savvy but I've never had trouble like this. Especially not on my iPhone... sigh..

Tiger

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I think I fixed it after entering download mode and using Odin...

Looks like I'm back to square one. Now, what is the best and easiest way to root, install Cyanogenmod?
I'm sorry I'm a noob, but that first guide seemed tough to follow at some parts.

Wakboarder

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Nexus S 4G hangs anywhere on boot and you can't access the SD Card via USB

There are 3 .tar files that hold the original firmare. Download this zip file and extract the files.
SPH-D720.zip

Download Odin.
Odin3 v1.85_intratech.zip

Put your phone in download mode. Hold down the volume up and down buttons at the same time and briefly press the power button. Your phone is ready to plug in when you see the yellow triangle on the screen.

Open Odin.

Now select the three .tar files you extracted earlier. with the corresponding box Boatloader, Pda, and Phone. And then click start and your phone should reflash.

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Cool. I'm glad you're back.

Either way you do it, you should straighten out the driver situation for fastboot & recovery modes - even though your computer says the driver is installed it's important to re-install the driver that comes with the SDK. (This way adb would of worked earlier, it's also part of the method of rooting as well).

The guide at the top of this forum is good for rooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699