Is there an active sync equivalent to sync contacts and calendar

roidcentral

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Windows phone and have my contacts synced to my work Outlook account. I now have the Nexus S 4G and want to:

1. upload/transfer my Outlook contacts to my phone.
I read that I can download a csv file from Outlook and import that into Gmail contacts. Is there an easier way?

2. Sync my work Outlook calender to my phone, but I want to keep my work calendar and my personal google calendar separate. I don't want my personal calendar to upload to my work calendar.

Is this possible? How do I do this?

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Re: Is there an active sync equivalent to sync contacts and calen

I use an app for my calendar called Business Calendar from the Amazon App Store (it was a free app of the day at one point)

I can update my calendar with all of my email addresses, including the one I have for school which is Outlook. It doesn't update your other calendars - just puts them into one app so you can switch between them.

Not sure about the syncing part - but that's my experience with Business Calendar - but as always -- YMMV!

Melissa :)

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

Android-sync is by far the best sync app. It is $19.95 one time fee. It also works with 64-bit Outlook. Not even HTC Sync works with 64-bit. Very stable and reliable. They are updating it constantly. I have used it since when it was free in Beta.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

You can also sync multiple Android devices and it automatically keeps track of all of them. If you have a tablet and smartphone, regardless of the brand, you can use this. I have a Nexus, Photon and EVO View 4G and sync them all with no problems.

roidcentral

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Android-sync is by far the best sync app. It is $19.95 one time fee. It also works with 64-bit Outlook. Not even HTC Sync works with 64-bit. Very stable and reliable. They are updating it constantly. I have used it since when it was free in Beta.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at the developer's site. Are there any free solutions? :-\

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Wait, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want to do but you shouldn't need to import anything.

Your contacts in Outlook, are they shown in Outlook but actually live on the Exchange server? If so, you don't need to do ANY of that. Instead:

1. Click Menu Button and choose "settings"

2. Choose "Accounts & Sync"

3. Click "Add Account"

4. Choose "Corporate"

Then put in the same info you used to hook Outlook to your server. After this, you can choose to sync any or all of the following: "Contacts," "Email," "Calendar"

Android takes care of the rest.

roidcentral

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Wait, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want to do but you shouldn't need to import anything.

Your contacts in Outlook, are they shown in Outlook but actually live on the Exchange server? If so, you don't need to do ANY of that. Instead:

1. Click Menu Button and choose "settings"

2. Choose "Accounts & Sync"

3. Click "Add Account"

4. Choose "Corporate"

Then put in the same info you used to hook Outlook to your server. After this, you can choose to sync any or all of the following: "Contacts," "Email," "Calendar"

Android takes care of the rest.

I'm not that literate with Outlook, so please bear with me. I believe it is through an exchange server, but I don't think the company security team allows personal phones to access the company servers. The company has BlackBerries as the standard smartphone. Does this help?

Edit: I just tried it, but it said it could not connect.

Last edited:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I don't know why it couldn't connect but it's not because it can't - I use this method with my exchange server. I would go to your company's IT department and get them to give you the proper configurations.

It uses active synch so it's the same exact method as outlook so there shouldn't be an issue.

tyhart44

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Found your answer - MyPhoneExplorer

It syncs everything, over WiFi even - calendar, contacts, pictures, files, SMS messages. It has a desktop app and it takes a bit of setting up, but it's flawless. It's free too...can't believe I even wasted my time with Android-Sync.

How is it no one knows about this program?